Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School supplies - am I missing something here?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 9:12 pm
I got my kids school supply list yesterday and I'm just not getting something.
They offer this service where you can buy the whole list of supplies as a "kit" off some website and they'll mail it to the school. So, this way you don't have to step into a store.
I went through my child's list and if I went into Wal-Mart and bought every single thing there, not caring about running around looking for sales - the max I would pay is $20.00
I logged onto the site, just out of curiosity - and the "kit"is $50!!!

Am I missing something here? Is it really worth the $30 per kid to get your school supplies this way (so if you have 4 kids that's an extra $120)? I know there may be some parents that have no time to go to the store, but I don't think that's true of most.

What makes me so upset is that for the older grades the school REQUIRES that you buy your supplies that way. Why are parents tolerating this? And is the school making money here?

Please explain...

Posting as anon because complained a lot about this IRL

trixx

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 10:26 pm
You're paying for the convenience, of course there's a markup
Plus I don't know why but it's like jewish stores are way too overpriced on every name product. From groceries to stationeries, everything is cheaper at shoprite or Walmart. The concept of coupons doesn't even exist in a frum store.
Can't answer why a school would make it mandatory except it's probably easier for all students to have uniform supplies, takes away a lot of petty fights and jealousy and social issues in the younger grades with whose pencil case is prettier or which kid can't afford the nice markers... So maybe that's why
But if you have the time def shop on your own. School supplies go on sale this time of year especially if you're buying bulk for many kids. Staples has 1 penny deals for teachers too

kb

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 10:33 pm
I'm sure the school gets a cut. Why don't you tell the school you can sell the same package for ten dollars less and see if they take you up on it Wink

kb

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 10:34 pm
But of course Jewish stores charge more than Wal-Mart etc. Prices go according to how much a store buys (I believe) so a mom and pop shop (Jewish or not) with have a higher base price before markup compared to Wal-Mart...

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 10:43 pm
Quote:
But of course Jewish stores charge more than Wal-Mart etc. Prices go according to how much a store buys (I believe) so a mom and pop shop (Jewish or not) with have a higher base price before markup compared to Wal-Mart...

I totally get that a company will mark everything up to make a profit. But what's the benefit from the schools perspective? Why are they pushing such a thing?
In today's day when everyone is crying about the price of tuition, encouraging (and in the older grades requiring) parents to pay more than double for school supplies is absurd.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:00 am
The school surely gets a cut, so the parents get a convenient offer and it's no different than other school fundraisers like the overpriced chocolates or the raffle where you might not gain anything from it. It's not a bad model overall. If it doesn't work for you, so go ahead and shlep around Walmart.

I hear the point about competition but that could be resolved by making the list more specific: "One PLAIN BLACK MARBLE composition notebook, One dozen PLAIN YELLOW HEXAGONAL #2 pencils, etc"

They are probably also using higher quality than the sale items at wal-mart. You won't always care but it does make some difference if the kid's notebooks and folders are always falling apart (personally I'd rather buy one $1-on-sale plastic folder for the year than buy a dozen 5-cents paper folders and have to keep replacing them when they fall apart) or if their pencils won't sharpen straight because they were cheap (yes, the really cheap pencils' lead is often not centered properly so when you try to sharpen it it either keeps breaking or has wood covering the tip. Personally I'm a fan of mechanical pencils - $3 for 24 at Office Depot this week, and Staples will price match!)

So the schools do have a bit to gain from the standardized package as well. Also, the more parents they can encourage to buy this, the less likely they are to have to deal with students who are missing supplies when they get to school because the parent THOUGHT they could do it more cheaply but didn't get around to getting everything and keeping track of what each person needed. Annoying for both child and teacher!

As a parent, I definitely feel your point of view and I will probably be with you in Staples (because I don't have a WalMart nearby, and anything brand-name Staples price matches, and their store-brand deals are reasonably competitive) But what you asked is why they do this so I'm giving you the devil's advocate response.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:20 am
I'm going amother because I've discussed this in real life too.

I am a teacher and my school is starting this with an online company, I think it's backed by staples. I know that the school gets a 5% either cash back or towards purchases when parents by their supplies this way.

I enjoy bargain shopping and I like order/uniformity. I went on this website, added what I would want my student to have and saw the total. I then looked at the price list on kosheronabudget.com and did the same thing. I was able to buy everything for at least $5 if not $20 cheaper on my own. I purchased everything for my students and will ask the parents for reimbursement. I bought name brand items and I dont feel bad that I'm buying top of the line whiteboards because I have bought dollar store ones before and they dont last. I spent $7 less per student than if I would have gone into staples, and $6 if it was target, and bought everything there.

When I spoke to a veteran teacher about supplies she said she ONLY wants Crayola and Fisker scissors. I thought she was being picky so I did my research online and I found a whole thread about teachers being "crayola snobs"!!! One teacher said that one year her classroom was really hot, it was still august and the air conditioner was not working well. Within 10 minutes of coloring the students using the store brand crayons called her over because his crayons were MELTING!!!!

I understand your aggravation, believe me I am waiting for parents to yell at me for asking them for $15. Part of me wants to ask for $20 knowing that I will have some parents complain about the $15 (saying they could have found cheaper), and not wanting to pay so the $20 would get me fully reimbursed.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:46 am
If your classroom is hot enough to melt crayons, send the kids home and call an air conditioner repair service. shock

I like the way Rose Art crayons color but I can see how they would be more melty than Crayola. Sale prices on Crayola are as good as Rose Art anyway. But still - if the crayons are melting, the kids are too.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:51 am
My son's school gave a school supply list PLUS $5 for a kit....go explain THAT one....
I bought all of my son's supplies at the dollar store for $20. The only thing I didn't get was sharpened pencils, and I won't get them. I think it's a waste of money, and it supports the "instantaneous" attitude. Let them wait a minute and sharpen the darn pencil!!! And if they want sharpened pencils, then why are they asking for a sharpener WITH a reservoir for the shavings?

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:58 am
We have a small membership chain here in the PNW and I bought spiral single subject notebooks for .17 each and 12 pack standard sets of Crayollas for only .25 last week. We have a program that fills backpacks with school supplies for distribution so I stocked up.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 1:00 am
eema of 3 wrote:
My son's school gave a school supply list PLUS $5 for a kit....go explain THAT one....
I bought all of my son's supplies at the dollar store for $20. The only thing I didn't get was sharpened pencils, and I won't get them. I think it's a waste of money, and it supports the "instantaneous" attitude. Let them wait a minute and sharpen the darn pencil!!! And if they want sharpened pencils, then why are they asking for a sharpener WITH a reservoir for the shavings?

I don't think they mean you must buy pre-sharpened pencils. Just that you should send them to school already sharpened. You can do it yourself but when kids come to school with brand new pencils it takes a lot of time and distraction for them to get it ready to use.

They ask for a sharpener with a reservoir because even your pre-sharpened pencil points will wear out and break and the kids will need to sharpen them, and when that happens the teachers don't want them to have to get up and do it at the garbage or make a mess all over their desks.

Very normal, all.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 2:26 am
amother wrote:
I'm going amother because I've discussed this in real life too.

I am a teacher and my school is starting this with an online company, I think it's backed by staples. I know that the school gets a 5% either cash back or towards purchases when parents by their supplies this way.

I enjoy bargain shopping and I like order/uniformity. I went on this website, added what I would want my student to have and saw the total. I then looked at the price list on kosheronabudget.com and did the same thing. I was able to buy everything for at least $5 if not $20 cheaper on my own. I purchased everything for my students and will ask the parents for reimbursement. I bought name brand items and I dont feel bad that I'm buying top of the line whiteboards because I have bought dollar store ones before and they dont last. I spent $7 less per student than if I would have gone into staples, and $6 if it was target, and bought everything there.

When I spoke to a veteran teacher about supplies she said she ONLY wants Crayola and Fisker scissors. I thought she was being picky so I did my research online and I found a whole thread about teachers being "crayola snobs"!!! One teacher said that one year her classroom was really hot, it was still august and the air conditioner was not working well. Within 10 minutes of coloring the students using the store brand crayons called her over because his crayons were MELTING!!!!

I understand your aggravation, believe me I am waiting for parents to yell at me for asking them for $15. Part of me wants to ask for $20 knowing that I will have some parents complain about the $15 (saying they could have found cheaper), and not wanting to pay so the $20 would get me fully reimbursed.

I'd give you the money, because I would not want to antagonize you early in the year, but I would be none too happy.

I buy loss leaders each week. Pencils and folders for a penny. Crayons for a quarter. Notebooks for a dime. It's convenient to work next door to a Staples. And I always keep a stock of supplies at home.

Additionally, I have children with OT and PT issues. One of whim is a lefty. What you think are decent scissors may not work for them. I want them to have the scissors that they can use, and I am willing to buy them. Ditto pens.

And finally, if my kid wants a Cubs notebook and deserves it for doing his reading all summer, he's going to get one, and your notebook will go into the supply closet. Wasted.

So IMNSHO, you absolutely overstepped all bounds in doing this without consulting the parents, and if you get stuck for some of the costs, well, you should have asked first.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 2:30 am
Just curious why the whiteboards are part of your students' supply expense. Can't you reuse them in the classroom from year to year? I totally agree the real ones are worth it, but the real ones should hold up.

SRS

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 2:35 am
There are people that will buy pizza lunch and do all the extras, but basically bulk at tuition. Schools have to find a way to get money out of parents, hence non-negotiable activity fees, graduation fees, script fees, milk fees, water fountain fees, bathroom fees, air fees, fees, fees, fees.

Supply packages are just another way to fundraise. The more I work, the more tempting it is to just buy a package. Thankfully, I seem to be able to force everyone to put together supplies from stuff we have from sales during the year, previous years, freebies from conferences.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 7:58 am
seeker wrote:
I don't think they mean you must buy pre-sharpened pencils. Just that you should send them to school already sharpened. You can do it yourself but when kids come to school with brand new pencils it takes a lot of time and distraction for them to get it ready to use.

They ask for a sharpener with a reservoir because even your pre-sharpened pencil points will wear out and break and the kids will need to sharpen them, and when that happens the teachers don't want them to have to get up and do it at the garbage or make a mess all over their desks.

Very normal, all.

I know what they want, I'm just telling you what the list SAYS. It says x boxes of sharpened pencils. Sorry, can't remember the number and I'm not home to check.

questioner

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 9:27 am
These groupons include a (cheap) briefcase + a bunch of school supplies for cheaper than the school list:
Groupon 1

Groupon 2

amother
Red

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 9:28 am
It's a fundraiser people! And I am happy to purchase through the school and have them benefit.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 9:29 am
Quote:
They are probably also using higher quality than the sale items at wal-mart.

I wish this were true. My friend is a teacher and her school used one of these websites last year - they sent every single item in some no-name brand.
The website our school is using just lists each item I.e. box of crayons - but it does not specify that you will get Crayola. Or for some items it does say a brand I.e. Avery Binder, but then says the words "or similar" in parentheses

And I agree with the above poster that wrote about buying her son a Cubs notebook. What happened to letting our kids have some individuality? And if you want to argue that some parents can't afford to buy their kids the "fancier" school supplies... well, they are now spending double so everyone can have the same exact thing. If I had the the extra $30 to spend on this kit, I would much rather use it to buy my kids the fancier supplies they want.

kb

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 9:46 am
Also... I used to love going school supply shopping as a kid. We went from store to store finding all the hard to find items like a 5x4.327 top bound spiral notebook Very Happy and loved the experience every year. (A credit to my mother, because I wouldn't stand for such a thing!) But it really added to the excitement toward a new school year.

To go to school with all the new notebooks and pencils etc.. MUCH more exciting that going to school with an empty knapsack and the teacher gives everyone a notebook.

CatLady

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 9:51 am
If this is being run as a school fundraiser, then it is worth supporting, if you can afford the extra $$$. But the fact that it is being marketed more as a convenience than a fundraising project, according to the OP, makes me want to brave the wilds of Wal-Mart.

(Disclaimer: I don't have any school-aged kids, but I still went to Wally World and bought myself some markers. Now, off to the art supply store for an adult colouring book!)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics