Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Parents never noticed 2 yo child was missing
1  2  3  Next

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:02 pm
How the heck is this possible? How can you go to bed at night and wake up in the morning and suddenly realize your 2 yo is missing? From Yeshiva World News.

'A two-year-old boy was found asleep in a public park in Netanya on Wednesday, 20 Menachem Av. Police were summoned and they in turn called social services as the search for the boy’s parents began. The call came in to police close to midnight.

It is reported that a chareidi family from Jerusalem with ten children was vacationing in Netanya and they went to the beach they split up, with each parent taking five children. No one came looking for the child during the remainder of the night.

Netanya Police Chief Doron Turgeman said “It is incomprehensible that a toddler was found alone at night. We are making efforts to locate the family. I ask anyone who can identify the child to contact Netanya police or call the 100 number”.

About 11 hours after the child was detected in the park, at 11:00 AM Thursday morning, police received a call from the parents, who explained their toddler son is missing. The police dispatcher passed the information to Netanya police, and police got in contact with the family.

Police then learned the family from Jerusalem was vacationing in the city. They split up at night and went swimming. They woke up Thursday morning, not too long before calling, realizing the toddler was missing from the home.

Police detained mom and dad for questioning realizing neither was aware their son was missing for over 11 hours. Social services is involved in the case as well.

(YWN – Israel Desk, Jerusalem)

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:21 pm
Same way people leave their babies boiling in cars I guess.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:24 pm
I don't know how something like that could happen. I'm the 4th of 12 children B"AH and none of us ever got left behind anywhere.

Barbara

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:27 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I don't know how something like that could happen. I'm the 4th of 12 children B"AH and none of us ever got left behind anywhere.

Ever see Home Alone?

Mom thought Dad had him, and put him to sleep. Dad thought Mom had him, and put him to sleep.

Its not epic parenting, but its also not the most shocking thing in the world.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:39 pm
My niece once got left behind in a restaurant like that. There were too many adults in charge, each thought someone else had her. They discovered her absence when my sister did a headcount in the car. BIL did a screeching u-turn and sped back for her. B"h she was found safe and in the care of the restaurant owner, but it was a scary experience for all the adults. I don't think she remembers it.

Laiya

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:41 pm
Barbara wrote:
Ever see Home Alone?

Mom thought Dad had him, and put him to sleep. Dad thought Mom had him, and put him to sleep.

Its not epic parenting, but its also not the most shocking thing in the world.

Well put.

Anyone else detect a between-the-lines implication that "this is what happens when you have 10 kids..."?

youngishbear

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:43 pm
Laiya wrote:
Well put.

Anyone else detect a between-the-lines implication that "this is what happens when you have 10 kids..."?

I don't know about that, but the title is misleading. Eventually they did notice...

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:47 pm
They don't count kids?

I don't understand why they split at night... but yeah, I'm puzzled by the story.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:47 pm
Laiya wrote:
Well put.

It can easily happen with four as well if the parents aren't communicating who is in charge of whom and checking in with regularity.

But neither parent noticed that this child was missing for meals, diaper changes, or tucking into bed.

morah

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:54 pm
If we're going to bring up Home Alone, let's also note that Kevin was one of two kids (though there were a bunch of cousins around). I once got left in shul for a few hours. My parents were newly divorced and arrangements weren't always so smooth and each one thought the other had me. I was an only child at the time. Granted, 12 hours is excessive, you would think someone would have wondered why the toddler was so quiet, but I'm just saying it can happen and it can happen to even an only child.

imaima

MagentaYenta wrote:
It can easily happen with four as well if the parents aren't communicating who is in charge of whom and checking in with regularity.

But neither parent noticed that this child was missing for meals, diaper changes, or tucking into bed.

The older sister must have been in charge...

Fox

I got left behind once, and I'm an only child! I wasn't traumatized, but I don't think my mother ever forgave my father (who had been officially put in charge of me)!

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:57 pm
I got lost in the Orlando Airport when I was 5 because each of my parents thought my grandfather had me. BH that was the week we had officer friendly come to our kindergarten class and talk about what to do if you get lost. My mother did not get over that one for years.

sky

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 12:59 pm
Ruchel wrote:
They don't count kids?

I don't understand why they split at night... but yeah, I'm puzzled by the story.

We recently stayed in a hotel on the side of the highway that officially only lets 4 people in a room but will make an exception for 6. There are no connecting rooms. Its the type of place you sleep at while on a 8+ hour drive between communities and they advertise specials to the Jewish community.

There was a large family (a lot more then allowed in a room) staying there the women and girls slept in one room and the men and boys slept in the other. the younger boys were constantly running back and forth between the rooms all night...

sotired3

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 1:00 pm
I once had a family come for a meal on sukkos with 4 kids. They left, and the mother came back about 3 minutes later, as they had left the baby in my house. The child was fine the whole time, but these things happen way to easily.

I had a sister who used to wander off all the time, my mother and all of us older kids were neurotic about keeping her in sight at all times, and I'm that way with my kids now also.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 1:01 pm
Laiya wrote:
Well put.

You know, that's what I was sure I was going to find but I haven't seen it yet; take Barbara's post, for example.

Barbara

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 1:15 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

No meals -- they went out late at night, after dinner (to avoid seeing people in bathing suits?), and slept late the next morning. No missed diaper changes or tucking in; each parent thought the other one did it.

As I said, its not epic parenting. But I'm sure its not unique.

And FTR, I was never left behind, but my cousin's mother loaded all the groceries in the car, then drove away, leaving my cousin in the cart. (These were the days when you couldn't bring the cart to your car.)

marina

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 1:29 pm
Maybe they put him to bed and he got up and sleep walked away. The story is confusing and we don't know what happened. I doubt the parents were walking to the beach and he just wandered off and they didn't notice.

Laiya

PinkFridge wrote:
You know, that's what I was sure I was going to find but I haven't seen it yet; take Barbara's post, for example.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to the posters on this site (Barbara's the one I quoted) but the original article.

ETA. Can you imagine the article reading, "The parents, who are secular, have one other child, who is nine." ??

Comments on other sites that reported this article are filled with anti-religious venom, which I think the tone of the article invites.

Last edited by Laiya on Fri, Aug 07 2015, 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

MagentaYenta

imaima wrote:
The older sister must have been in charge...

We have no way of knowing that, ultimately children are the parents responsibility.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics