Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Parents never noticed 2 yo child was missing
Previous  1  2  3

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 8:48 am
Sanguine wrote:
You're not the minority. Who would you be furious with? It's the mother's fault (and father's).

I seem to be in the minority. 47 likes that this is understandable. I didn't find Home Alone believable either. I found it a comedy.

This would never happen with me watching children so my child would have to be with some other care giver. I am constantly counting kids when I watch them.

When I went on my daughter's graduation trip I had all the girls I was in charge of stay in my direct line of sight. They could only go to the bathroom in pairs. There was one sullen girl and I made the group wait for her when she didn't want to do anything.

I find all that stories of kids getting left behind frightening. It seems the large majority is ok with this and that stuff happens.

kitov

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 9:41 am
shomer pesoyim hashem

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 10:51 am
Yeah the overnight thing is not ok in my books either. I don't get how they could go to sleep without getting a headcount especially after a late night trip.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 2:57 pm
Sanguine wrote:
You're not the minority. Who would you be furious with? It's the mother's fault (and father's).

It's the parents fault. The children are their responsibility. They should be communicating with each other on how to track their kids when out on a trip to the beach at night.

How the heck do you pay attention to 10 kids in the water at night with no lights on? Heck that poor kid could have been floating face down in the water for all the mother and father knew.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 5:57 pm
What kind of idiots go swimming at night--and with young children, yet?

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 6:11 pm
Sorry, I don't understand the whole mind(less)set. Once upon a time, I went on an adult bus tour for several days. At every stop, before the bus departed, the tour guide called the roll. Every.single.time. For normally-abled, healthy adults, to make sure no passenger was left behind.

When we traveled with our young children, even not such young children, we did a head count at frequent intervals throughout the day. I can see briefly losing track of a child in a crowded place but I canNOT see leaving the area at the end of an outing without verifying that all family members are present and accounted for. Try though I may to be dlkz, I simply cannot come up with any justification. This is neglect, plain and simple.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 6:24 pm
Do the parents even know if they lost their child on the way to swimming or on the return trip?

shanie5

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 9:53 pm
One motzei shabbos I went to work at the mikvah. My children were in bed. There were older children home so it was safe to leave them. I go to and from the mikvah via my back door. When I came home, I went to lock all the doors and would have gone right to sleep as I had put my children to bed before I left. Well, my tenants called me to inform me that my 4 year old dd was in their apartment. They had been away for shabbos and came home to find dd sitting on the front porch alone. They asked her why she was outside and she said "mommy went out, I am waiting for her to come home."
They had her 'wait' in their apartment. I don't know if I would have missed her or not before morning.
After all, she was in bed asleep when I left.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 9:58 pm
shanie5 wrote:
One motzei shabbos I went to work at the mikvah. My children were in bed. There were older children home so it was safe to leave them. I go to and from the mikvah via my back door. When I came home, I went to lock all the doors and would have gone right to sleep as I had put my children to bed before I left. Well, my tenants called me to inform me that my 4 year old dd was in their apartment. They had been away for shabbos and came home to find dd sitting on the front porch alone. They asked her why she was outside and she said "mommy went out, I am waiting for her to come home."
They had her 'wait' in their apartment. I don't know if I would have missed her or not before morning.
After all, she was in bed asleep when I left.

What did the older children have to say about this since they were in charge.

shanie5

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 10:17 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
What did the older children have to say about this since they were in charge.

They were asleep. It was summer time and mikvah here motzei shabbos in summer can end really late.

seeker

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 12:44 am
I am just amazed at how many stories there are here of kids who were left alone somehow and were OK when found. With the amount of scrapes my toddlers have gotten into WITH attentive parents right there, it's hard to believe! Shomer pesaim Hashem, indeed!

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 3:56 am
http://www.theguardian.com/wor.....fb_gu

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 8:28 am
shanie5 wrote:
They were asleep. It was summer time and mikvah here motzei shabbos in summer can end really late.

Your story is different. You didn't forget your child someplace. I find these stories of misplaced children so sad. It makes you wonder what else the mothers forget to do. Imagine the anxiety and feelings of abandonment these children have.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 10:18 pm
You are not the minority. It is completely inexcusable. Losing track of a kid for a few minutes- understandable. For over 12 hours- completely dysfunctional.

I thought that it is basic parenting to head count on trips and check that everyone is home before locking up for the night.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 2:50 am
I know of a family with 3 kids and they returned one of them kids asleep in a stroller to Disneyworld. They discovered the child was "missing" when they went finally found their car.

pickle321

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 7:42 am
ValleyMom wrote:
I know of a family with 3 kids and they returned one of them kids asleep in a stroller to Disneyworld. They discovered the child was "missing" when they went finally found their car.

I don't understand this story can you please reword it?

sky

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 8:46 am
Quote:
Parents in France forgot their child at a highway rest stop on Sunday, driving 90 miles toward their vacation destination before realizing their 3-year-old daughter wasn’t in the car, according to French authorities.

The family, who was en route to a coastal town of southern France at the time, only realized she wasn’t in the car when they heard a police message on the radio asking them to pick up their daughter.

(there were 2 other siblings in the car)

MrsDash

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 9:06 am
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics