Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Rosh Hashana Cooking and Freezing
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 8:14 pm
Levtov wrote:
What marinade do you use for dark chicken cutlets??
How do you make something called chicken steak with bone in....???

I use schwarma marinade, honey soy, honey mustard, Italian dressing... Usually don't do this for Yom Tov but it's a great do ahead.

Chicken steak is meat steak breaded and fried like chicken. Can be a bone in rib steak.

cbg

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 9:37 pm
ra_mom wrote:
For chicken soup, you can measure out the cooled broth, freeze in good quality storage size ziploc bags. Zip shut with no extra air. Lay flat in freezer to store. You can store stacks of chicken soup like this without taking up much storage space.

For chicken, I stuff and season capons, freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, store in ziploc bags. Same for breaded cutlets. And seasoned chicken bottoms. Marinated dark boneless cutlets stored straight up in ziploc bag with marinade. You can do meat or potato bourekas this way and freeze with the intent to bake fresh. Also stuffed cabbage and many other dishes.

Please, can you give me the recipe for your stuffed Capons and your meat and potato bourekas, with exact freezing instructions if it's not too much to ask, TIA

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 11:01 pm
ABC, for dessert you can make and freeze:
pie crumble
applesauce
ice cream or ice cream sandwiches
layered sorbet cups
various frozen pies (choose one for each YT as they all have the same theme)

These are all adapted from yummy2

Peanut Butter Ice Cream Pie
• 1 graham pie crust
• 1 1/2 cups vanilla ice cream
• 1/2 cup brown rice syrup or lite corn syrup
• 1/2 cup chocolate syrup
• 1/2 cup peanut butter
• 4-6 pieces Viennese crunch or hazelnut crunch

Defrost ice cream just enough so that it's easy to scoop out.
Spoon ice cream into pie crust. Place in freezer to allow ice cream to harden.
Mix together corn syrup, chocolate syrup and peanut butter. Once ice cream is frozen, spread mixture over pie. Crush Viennese crunch. Spread evenly over peanut butter mixture.
Place in freezer until ready to serve.

Cappuccino Crunch Ice Cream Pie
• 2 graham cracker crusts
• 4 1/2 cups coffee ice cream, partially thawed
• 1/4 cup coconut oil or margarine
• 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk or unwhipped topping
• 1/2 cup cocoa
• 1/2 cup sugar
• hazelnut crunch (like Baker’s Choice)
• coconut whipped cream or canned whipped cream (optional)

Spread the partially thawed ice cream into the graham cracker crusts. Place in freezer to harden.
Prepare the chocolate fudge: combine the margarine, topping, cocoa, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until smooth. Allow to cool slightly. Pour over ice cream in crusts. Refreeze.
Sprinkle the hazelnut crunch over the pies.
Garnish with swirls of whipped cream before serving, if desired.

Praline Pie
• 1 graham cracker crust
• 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
• 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
• 2 eggs
• 4 ounces baking chocolate (like 4 squared Shufra baking chocolate)
• 1/2 cup praline paste (like Baker’s Choice)

Whip the topping in a mixer fitted with whisks.
While the machine is running, melt the chocolate over a double boiler.
Once peaks have formed on the topping, add the sugar, then the eggs, followed by the melted chocolate.
Mix the praline paste well and then add to the mixer.
Once incorporated, pour into the pie crust. Cover and freeze until ready to serve.

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....rt=60

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 11:15 pm
cbg wrote:
Please, can you give me the recipe for your stuffed Capons and your meat and potato bourekas, with exact freezing instructions if it's not too much to ask, TIA

Capons: stuff with a mixture of shredded pastrami mixed with duck sauce and mustard, or with cranberry wild rice or kishke or your favorite stuffing recipe.
Roll, arrange in a small aluminum pan, tightly packed. Sprinkle with garlic powder and salt. Cover tightly with foil. Seal in Ziploc bag. Freeze.
Defrost in fridge for a day.
Spoon jarred duck sauce on top. Bake uncovered at 350 for 1 1/2 hours.

Potato and meat bourekas:
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....41162
After filling and folding the bourekas, freeze in one layer on a cookie sheet. Once frozen (after half a day), place the bourekas in an airtight Ziploc bag and put back in freezer.
Night before serving, remove from freezer, lay out on cookie sheet, seal sheet with foil, and thaw in refrigerator.
Egg the bourekas, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and bake uncovered on cookie sheet at 350 for 30 minutes.

pelle

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 10:44 am
thank you for posting these great recipes and tips ra_mom !!

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 11:27 am
Thanks ra mom for the recipes and tips.
Question to the experienced cook?
I want to stuff my Capons with Hashu, syrian ground meat and rice stuffing.
What type of sauce or seasoning goes, I prefer savory rather than sweet.
TIA

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 11:59 am
cbg wrote:
Thanks ra mom for the recipes and tips.
Question to the experienced cook?
I want to stuff my Capons with Hashu, syrian ground meat and rice stuffing.
What type of sauce or seasoning goes, I prefer savory rather than sweet.
TIA
Rub under and over skin with olive oil, allspice, garlic, salt and pepper. You can put it over a bed or sautéed onions if you want some juices to be released.
Foe sweeter version you can use apricots, tamarind (or a substitute if unavailable), lemon, sugar, salt and some water.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 12:00 pm
pelle wrote:
thank you for posting these great recipes and tips ra_mom !!
My pleasure!

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 2:49 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Rub under and over skin with olive oil, allspice, garlic, salt and pepper. You can put it over a bed or sautéed onions if you want some juices to be released.
Foe sweeter version you can use apricots, tamarind (or a substitute if unavailable), lemon, sugar, salt and some water.

Thank you so much.
Should I cook the stuffed capons complete with the bed of onions for juice to be released and freeze the final product, or is it best to freeze raw and cook last minute. I do prefer to have it completely cooked and just heat up, would that taste ok.

On a different note.
I want to make mini muffin kugels for the simanim, spinach, leek, pumpkin.
Usually I make a big kugel of each and cut it up.
my question is how do I insure that they all will come out intact.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 3:01 pm
cbg wrote:
Thank you so much.
Should I cook the stuffed capons complete with the bed of onions for juice to be released and freeze the final product, or is it best to freeze raw and cook last minute. I do prefer to have it completely cooked and just heat up, would that taste ok.

On a different note.
I want to make mini muffin kugels for the simanim, spinach, leek, pumpkin.
Usually I make a big kugel of each and cut it up.
my question is how do I insure that they all will come out intact.

Better to freeze raw. But if you have tasted cooked frozen chicken before and don't mind the taste, you can freeze it cooked.

I would freeze the individual kugel muffins in the muffin tins, pop out when frozen and secure in ziploc bag. Thaw lined up on a cookie sheet.

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 3:09 pm
I think I would like to try the stuffed chicken. Do you usually serve one thigh per person or two?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 5:05 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I think I would like to try the stuffed chicken. Do you usually serve one thigh per person or two?
The skin on boneless dark cutlets I buy consist of the thigh and the leg as one piece and I use one per person. I think a stuffed thigh is enough for a serving, especially at a multi course meal.

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 5:12 pm
Thanks! I feel funny calling them capons because I grew up with a capon being something very different.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 5:52 pm
Totally get that! It's a weird "heimish" term and I always wonder how it happened. But every butcher I go to sells "capons".

workaholicmama

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 7:21 pm
I made today tsimes. (Sweet carrots)
I'm having lots of guests this Shabbos, and I wanted to have one more side, so I made it today for yom tov too:
5 lb. Frozen sliced carrots
3/4 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1 cup honey
1/2 Tbsp salt
Bake covered on 425 for 2.5 hrs, mix once halfway thru. This freezes excellent!

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 8:44 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Thanks! I feel funny calling them capons because I grew up with a capon being something very different.

Where I live Capons refers to small chickens.
I actually debone the drumsticks and keep the skin intact. I use the thigh for shawarma pargiyot, and the bones for broth. It's a bit of work, but I debone when I have time and then freeze them.
When served it looks like a regular drumstick, my guests are very surprised when they cut into it.

morecoffeeplease

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 2:23 pm
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the origin of noodles and cabbage? Is it specifically made on RH or all year round? Why have I never heard of this?

Sounds delicious...it's made with egg noodles I'm assuming? Do you serve it as a warm side with the main? Educate me please!

Another mom

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 2:40 pm
aro wrote:
All my chicken and meat is frozen. Can it be defrosted, cooked and then refrozen?

Sure - if it's cooked. You can't refreeze something defrosted which is still raw.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 3:02 pm
Thank you, ladies. You inspired me to defrost my freezer and take stock.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 4:09 pm
morecoffeeplease wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the origin of noodles and cabbage? Is it specifically made on RH or all year round? Why have I never heard of this?

Sounds delicious...it's made with egg noodles I'm assuming? Do you serve it as a warm side with the main? Educate me please!

It might be a Hungarian dish. It's definitely eastern European. My dh's family eats it a lot, they seem to like it on Yom Tov, though not specifically for Rosh Hashana. I started making it when I realized it was dish that tastes great reheated, so I make it in advance Wink It's served hot as a side dish.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus