Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Delicious gluten free challah??? Need recipe!!
1  2  Next

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 10:31 am
I want to make GF challah for shabbos, I've attempted to do this before but each time it came out gross and inedible.

I need a really really good recipe and instructions of what I need to buy and what the ingredients are called in Israel.

TIA

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 10:43 am
This recipe is great http://sharonmatten.blogspot.c......html

chavamom

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 11:56 am
Just a recommendation: buy those challah molds. They really help the appearance as it's almost impossible to braid nicely.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 12:46 pm
It takes training and habit. We do them without the mold but the first looked, huuuuh interesting

Red Mill flour (American) is great (we get a French one also great, as shipping from America made it too expensive for weekly challa).

KosherBakerMom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 1:47 pm
Thanks so much for posting my recipe! I actually have started substituting about half the sugar for honey and it's even better! Please let me know how yours turns out ☺All the best, Sharon Matten

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 1:51 pm
KosherBakerMom wrote:
Thanks so much for posting my recipe! I actually have started substituting about half the sugar for honey and it's even better! Please let me know how yours turns out ☺All the best, Sharon Matten

Can I have the updated version please?

KosherBakerMom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 2:14 pm
Here is the original recipe: http://www.koshereveryday.com/.....html. It looks like I'll have to post a new version of the recipe soon! You can just use 1/2 cup honey and 1/4 cup sugar. Don't remove the sugar completely or it will change the texture. If you have any questions please let me know.

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 11:02 am
KosherBakerMom wrote:
Here is the original recipe: http://www.koshereveryday.com/.....html. It looks like I'll have to post a new version of the recipe soon! You can just use 1/2 cup honey and 1/4 cup sugar. Don't remove the sugar completely or it will change the texture. If you have any questions please let me know.

I made this recipe today and it was really bitter! Sad

mandksima

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 4:37 pm
JMM-uc wrote:
I made this recipe today and it was really bitter! Sad

Are you comparing this recipe to other oat flour based recipes? Oat flour tends to be pretty bitter in general but I am used to the taste and can palate it. Oat matzah is bitter as well but is the only option for GF hamotzei on Pesach.

I am making a batch tomorrow from a different recipe. I hope it comes out okay, last time, I used more oats and less other flours and it wasn't as good. The trick is to use the least amount of oat flour as possible in the recipe.

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 4:52 pm
mandksima wrote:
Are you comparing this recipe to other oat flour based recipes? Oat flour tends to be pretty bitter in general but I am used to the taste and can palate it. Oat matzah is bitter as well but is the only option for GF hamotzei on Pesach.

I am making a batch tomorrow from a different recipe. I hope it comes out okay, last time, I used more oats and less other flours and it wasn't as good. The trick is to use the least amount of oat flour as possible in the recipe.

What's the least I can use that would still be h'motzie?

I tasted the oat matzah and almost chocked! Returned it to the store

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 4:54 pm
IIRC the recipe has to be 51% oat flour to make hamotzi.

mandksima

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 5:29 pm
I asked our local rav about the necessary amount of oat flour. This link sums it up pretty well. It says here it does not need to be 51% like I have read elsewhere but 1/6-1/8 of total flour if enough bread is eaten within a certain amount of time. You can definitely wash on this ratio of bread but there is a different question of how much you have to eat in order to bench. Gluten intolerance and mitzvos Anyway, AYLOR because not everyone holds the same way...

JMM-uc

Post Sat, Sep 12 2015, 2:04 pm
mandksima wrote:
I asked our local rav about the necessary amount of oat flour. This link sums it up pretty well. It says here it does not need to be 51% like I have read elsewhere but 1/6-1/8 of total flour if enough bread is eaten within a certain amount of time. You can definitely wash on this ratio of bread but there is a different question of how much you have to eat in order to bench. Gluten intolerance and mitzvos Anyway, AYLOR because not everyone holds the same way...

This was VERY helpful! Thanks so much for posting.

Next time I make challah I'm going to use less oats.

bandcm

Post Sat, Sep 12 2015, 7:21 pm
I made this recipe from Sharon Matten this past Friday for my celiac daughter and a celiac guest - they LOVED it. So of course I tasted it and it really is better than any other GF recipe.
I used the silicone challa mold and my daughter (aged 8) was so excited to eat real-looking challa like everybody else!
Thanks - I will be making this tomorrow and every Shabbs IYH.

JMM-uc

Post Sun, Sep 13 2015, 2:02 am
bandcm wrote:
I made this recipe from Sharon Matten this past Friday for my celiac daughter and a celiac guest - they LOVED it. So of course I tasted it and it really is better than any other GF recipe.
I used the silicone challa mold and my daughter (aged 8) was so excited to eat real-looking challa like everybody else!
Thanks - I will be making this tomorrow and every Shabbs IYH.

It's good but has a strong bitter aftertaste.

I'm only GF five weeks so I guess I still remember what the good stuff tastes like Sad

bandcm

Post Sun, Sep 13 2015, 7:27 am
JMM-uc wrote:
It's good but has a strong bitter aftertaste.

I'm only GF five weeks so I guess I still remember what the good stuff tastes like Sad

No aftertaste whatsoever.
My daughter is GF for five years, and we have tried every recipe that exists.

mandksima

Post Sun, Sep 13 2015, 8:02 am
I wonder if it depends on the brand of oat flour because the Kestenbaum's brand here is a very strong bitter taste and challah comes out better when there is a lower ratio of oat flour in the recipe.

bandcm

Post Sun, Sep 13 2015, 8:07 am
I used a mixture of Bobs Red Mill oat flour, Dove Farm all purpose flour, and tapioca starch.

mandksima

Post Sun, Sep 13 2015, 10:14 am
Well, for anyone who is interested: this recipe is my favorite -
Ultimate GF challah

I used 1T flax seed meal in place of the xantham gum, used coconut oil for the oil and rice flour as the last flour.

If you are concerned that the oat flour should be 51% or higher then add 1/2 tsp or so more to the mix and it will be that percentage.

JMM-uc

Post Sun, Sep 13 2015, 10:25 am
mandksima wrote:
I wonder if it depends on the brand of oat flour because the Kestenbaum's brand here is a very strong bitter taste and challah comes out better when there is a lower ratio of oat flour in the recipe.

That's the type I used.

Will try your other recipe next!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking