Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Anyone sew a Shabbos Robe/Jumper

kollel wife

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 10:58 am
Do you have a pattern or design to recommend? (include colors or material types)

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 1:20 pm
It depends what type you want. If you want to make it out of velour, I recommend you knowing how to sew with it. It's not very easy to. I asked my dd if I ever made her one and we don't remember, but knowing me, probably. I don't know what pattern to use because I haven't seen any in a long time, but for a zipper front, I would probably use a blouse pattern and adjust it, but that's me. For designs, check out online what there is. For winter, velour, but like I said, it's not easy to work with. Black is always in, but I like splash and I tend to go green or blue.

momaleh

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 2:05 pm
I recently bought fabric to sew robes for my kids but haven't done it yet. The fabric I bought is black swiss dot with voile for lining. I don't have a pattern, but the idea I am going with is long a-line bottom with ruffle falling from waist, fitted top wit pleated neckline and puffed shoulders, similar to this: https://thelingerieshopny.com/.....html, which I have. I may use parts of some Burda patterns I have to help out with bodice and sleeve sizing.

kollel wife

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 2:05 pm
Thank you for telling me that about the velour.

But the black slinky material is probably even worse to sew with, no?

I could do something black with some turquoise or green - sash, collar something like that.

I'm not so good with zippers, but would probably want one in the back not front.

sky

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 2:46 pm
a lot of the robes I'm seeing now are jumpers. I don't know how to sew, but my mother who does, when she sees them thinks they are the simplest things to do.
None of the robes I got recently (bought or hand me downs) had sleeves or zippers. They went over the head. It was jumper with a ribbon going through the neckline. Some were sewn into a bow, and some you tie after putting on.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 3:03 pm
Look at Sew4Home.com they have great zipper tutorials. I now can do a perfect invisible zipper in most fabrics.
Try a fabric with a velour design on it instead of velour. It can look more elegant. Or velour cuffs, collar, sash or hem.
Stretchy material is fine if using the correct needle and stitch. I prefer overlock for it though, it's easier.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 3:28 pm
Would fleece be too hot? There is thin, lightweight fleece. I think there are weight numbers for fleece and the thinnest one is called "1". Gros grain ribbon and soutache might be nice. Or frogs. That's a soutache fastening.

Wow, Lymnok, you really know your stuff.

I wonder if there are any Shabbos Robe Kits for sale on Craftsy. There ought to be. A kit is where they send you the fabric and the pattern and all you have to do is assemble it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics