Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Looking for a new career

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 6:19 pm
I've been teaching for awhile and I don't want to teach anymore. I have no idea what else to do or where to look for a job. I'm just at square one. I need something where I can use the skills and the masters degree I already have. I can't afford the time nor the money to do any more schooling. Thanks.

singleagain

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 6:32 pm
were you a specific kind of teacher? perhaps you can tutor a bit, till you figure something else out? but like if you were an english teacher, maybe something in writing/editing, etc

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 6:42 pm
are you interested in staying in the field of education? former classmates of mine who have left the classroom have gone into careers in educational consulting, working for educational software firms, and data and assessment managing at charter schools. also, if you do not work for your local state/city department of education, you might want to take a look at non-teaching vacancies they have for external candidates. and if you do work for them, you will have even more opportunities available.

seeker

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 7:32 pm
Can you pinpoint what aspects of your job are burning you out or what you're looking to get away from?
Conversely, can you pinpoint strengths or interests that you would like to move towards?
How long is "a while" - long enough to become a supervisor or mentor?

married123

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 7:49 pm
I'm having a similar problem. I am burnt out from the day to day working. I think I'm done with the one on one, preparing and working with kids. I would like something like a position within an educational facility. Or possibly curriculum building. Any ideas? Openings?

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 7:57 pm
I've been teaching for five years. I'm not burnt out, I just realized I'm not very good at it. I don't have enough experience to move into administration, and again, I was not terribly successful as a teacher, so I probably would not be recommended for that route anyway. I would be interested in staying in education or doing something else. I just checked out my local school district as per nicole81's suggestion, and any job I would do there requires certification, which I don't have. I write well, I know my subjects well (Social Studies and Literature), not really sure what I can do with that job-wise.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 8:41 pm
Another tired teacher here. My issue is a little different. I am actually a great classroom teacher, I'm the teacher parents want their kids to have. I just don't have the stomach to deal with the parents anymore. I've been looking into writing curriculum, but haven't figured out a way to break into that part of the field. I would love to go into educational consulting, but can't figure out how.

seeker

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 8:47 pm
amother wrote:
Another tired teacher here. My issue is a little different. I am actually a great classroom teacher, I'm the teacher parents want their kids to have. I just don't have the stomach to deal with the parents anymore. I've been looking into writing curriculum, but haven't figured out a way to break into that part of the field. I would love to go into educational consulting, but can't figure out how.

I haven't yet successfully made the leap yet, but thecornerstoneforteachers.com has some resources about how to transition from teaching to consulting and other related career shifts. Angela is one of my biggest inspirations both as a teacher (she blogged back in her teaching days too, her original blog was the basis for her book The Cornerstone which I HIGHLY recommend for those who ARE in classroom teaching. HIGHLY. As in, if you don't want to buy any other book ever, this is the one to have) and now she is an author/consultant/coach/blogger/materials-creator-seller/whatever. Total teacher-turned-"edtrepreneur." I would love to do that, I just haven't pulled my act together enough yet, maybe with a little more experience...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics