Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
WWYD: Changing someones work

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 10:27 am
I was asked to make a flyer for an upcoming event at our shul. It was a chessed, at no charge, since I am a graphic designer by degree but currently not by proffesion. I personally took care of putting the flyer up in certain places, and emailed out the flyer to be put out on the local list serve. A third party (member of the shul) who has access to the list serve took my flyer, changed around the wording and some of the graphics and resent it out to the entire list. It was entirely his doing, nobody asked him to. He has done similar things like this in the past.

What would you do?

PAMOM

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 10:32 am
I wouldn't agree to help in the future. Let that person start from scratch. If you're too angry to let it drop (and I'd be), I'd email the petfon who changed your work and say that you're unhappy that he changed your work without consulting you and that since he's obviouldy able to produce what he needs, you're suggesting him as the contact person in the furure.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 11:36 am
PAMOM wrote:
I wouldn't agree to help in the future. Let that person start from scratch. If you're too angry to let it drop (and I'd be), I'd email the petfon who changed your work and say that you're unhappy that he changed your work without consulting you and that since he's obviouldy able to produce what he needs, you're suggesting him as the contact person in the furure.

The shul didn't ask the person to do anything, so the shul is being penalized for this persons actions if I tell them I won't help anymore. I do like your suggestion of writing to him, though he is not a designer at all so wonder how he will take it.

I am really upset by it, and trying not to do/say anything I shouldn't (know the feeling?)

kb

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 12:24 pm
That's what happens to graphics work sometimes. What is bothering you, exactly, though?

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 12:33 pm
Has this happened before? Let the shul know. You don't want your name on work that was altered. You also don't want the hours you spent to be taken for granted. Let the person who changed it to know that because of what he has done, you will only do it from now on with the condition that he doesn't touch it. One more shot and then you will stop.
It's one thing to change the time/date. Another to reword the flyer. Hugs! It's so hard when people take your work for granted.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 12:38 pm
kb wrote:
That's what happens to graphics work sometimes. What is bothering you, exactly, though?

I'm bothered that someone, on his own, decided to take something that wasn't his, that he wasn't asked to change or deal with, and rearranged it to his liking. Then he put it out to the community.

I don't assume I am the best designer, nor that my work is untouchable or unchangeable. But if I was asked to help, and put in time and effort which is not easy to find between a full time job and mommying, I don't appreciate opening an email sent to the entire community with what used to be my work and is tampered with without reason.

kb

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 12:40 pm
You do know there are ways to protect your work from tampering, right? Password protect etc

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 12:45 pm
LittleDucky, thanks for the advice.
Kb, I know I have to now. It was a small flyer I didnt think anyone would have reason to do anything to it. Most people in the shul would have no clue how to and would have the decency to contact me if there was something they didn't like about it. Guess it's live and learn.

kb

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 12:47 pm
amother wrote:
LittleDucky, thanks for the advice.
Kb, I know I have to now. It was a small flyer I didnt think anyone would have reason to do anything to it. Most people in the shul would have no clue how to and would have the decency to contact me if there was something they didn't like about it. Guess it's live and learn.

I don't protect my work. But I do it knowing that I run the risk of a jerk or two helping himself and doing what he wants with it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette