Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What makes YOU a great mother?
1  2  Next

Stars

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 11:32 am
For me it's giving my child everything they need in the love language they understand. It's giving time , love and care. It's creating a positive atmosphere in our home where they can thrive and become the best little people they can be.

What are your strong points as a mom?

youngishbear

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 11:50 am
I work on building my children's belief in their inherent value, and their decision-making abilities. For me, parenting is not only about getting through the day and disciplining and getting them off to school and laundry and cooking and dishes... but teaching emotional awareness and skills.

I am raising these wonderful little individuals and I love each of their quirks and personalities.

I am very far from the best mother I can be, but I am working on it by saying patient, positive, and present.

Love this thread.

No self-bashing allowed, ladies!

Zehava

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 11:59 am
I don't put my children into boxes. I don't tell them what they are and what they aren't. I let them figure out who the are independent of me, and provide the love, care, acceptance, and discipline they need to be the best versions of themselves.

Optione

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 12:25 pm
I balance my mistakes with a lot of love and positive feedback.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 12:33 pm
I say in sorry when I make mistakes. I teach them to be emotionally in touch with themselves and self aware. I instill confidence in them. I tell them all the time that they are amazing human beings even though they have flaws. I believe that if Children grow up knowing that mommy believes in them and that they are amazing human beings that is all they really need to grow up healthy and happy.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 12:56 pm
Nothing. I feel bad for my kids that they have me for a mother.

Laiya

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 1:01 pm
amother wrote:

Are you abusive or neglectful or negligent? If yes you can learn other ways.

But I'm just hazarding a guess that more likely, you are depressed and can't see the good in yourself. There is help available. Hugs. Hug

Stars

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:

I'm sure you can find one thing. Try.

Fox

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 1:04 pm
I try to see parenthood as a job, not some mystical calling. I'd like to think that makes me take myself less seriously and not take the ups and downs so personally.

I also regularly tell my kids (and myself) that I'm not the cruise director on the ship of life, endlessly jumping through hoops to make sure everyone is having an enjoyable and fulfilling trip.

I do as much as possible to prepare and advise them, but ultimately, each of us comes into the world with his/her own nisyonos, challenges, and talents.

Stars

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 1:06 pm
Fox wrote:
I also regularly tell my kids (and myself) that I'm not the cruise director on the ship of life, endlessly jumping through hoops to make sure everyone is having an enjoyable and fulfilling trip.

Can I frame this Smile

Laiya

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 1:25 pm
I don't know that I'm a great mother, but I try to view parenting as a relationship, and I try to make the relationship "work" so that I can enjoy them as they are--their sweetness, individuality, exuberance, etc.

To make the relationship work, we need to all respect each other and we need trust. I am trying to work on not blaming, criticizing, yelling, etc. and to be honest with them and create a predictable home atmosphere.

chavs

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 1:27 pm
I treat my kids as ppl and see them as individuals and I try my best.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 2:19 pm
How do u do that youngish bear?

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 2:21 pm
by being an emotionally present parent.

sourstix

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 4:34 pm
I love all the replies and I would combine them all to give myself that desciption. I try to stay as calm as possible. and be as predictable as possible and instill confidence and think that they can be great and believe in them. I try to be there emotinally. althoug h I need to work on that more. we all try. thats what counts. dont give up! this to the poster saying nothing is good about her. oh vey, she needs help. all of us can come to that point.

pause

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 7:42 pm
I try to give each child his/her individual attention, quality time, specific compliments. I tell them "I love you" every day. I am also very consistent (perhaps to a fault embarrassed ). I talk to my children about any topic in an age-appropriate manner; nothing is taboo.

wantavaca

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 8:09 pm
I am constantly working on my parenting skills. I take classes all the time and focus on implementing all the good advice.
I provide support for my kids in any area they need help with, while also helping them become independent.
I look for opportunities to praise them.
I especially work on loving and accepting my kids exactly the way they are.

I do get irritable and snappy and impatient sometimes and I need lots of personal space.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 8:11 pm
I am very vigilant about their safety and even though I work fill time I don't cut corners on their daycare. I pay lots of extra money to ensure they are with responsible babysitters and not in overcrowded play groups with safety hazards.

I also try to enrich them educationally.

Parenting does not come natural at all so for me, my mediocre parenting skills are a herculean effort to maintain.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 8:25 pm

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 9:28 pm
I'll admit that I have a hard time having patience and "loss" it with them a lot. Noise and mess and ect tend to bother me alot and I loss me temper and yell at them more then I'd like (something I'm really working on), But at the same time my kids always know that I love them more then anything. Even if I punish them - for example put them into time out - as I pick the kid up and bring him there, I give him a kiss and tell him I love him, and when ever they wake up - I always greet them with a big smile and hug and tell them how happy I am that their up (even if I'm really not)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics