Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Gf chulent

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 10:01 am
What can I use instead of barley in my chulent ? I'd prefer not to use rice and my family is not a big fan of quiona

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 10:07 pm
Any ideas?

penguin

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 10:09 pm
We've done brown rice and it goes really well. I think short grain is best.

You could try millet, tefe...

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 10:13 pm
Short grain white (sushi) or brown is good as a sub to the barley, works well with the beans. But if you don't like that you can make a shredded potato cholent or meat and potato cholent.

SorGold

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 10:22 pm
We use basmati rice (white basmati is the lowest in arsenic) and everyone (guests especially ) love it. Can I ask why you dont want rice?
You can try buckwheat or just do lentils and beans and meat and potatoes or make something more like a pesach cholent.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 10:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Short grain white (sushi) or brown is good as a sub to the barley, works well with the beans. But if you don't like that you can make a shredded potato cholent or meat and potato cholent.

Somebody told me to use the sushi rice, she said it's the best substitute for barley, but I never ended up trying it. I tried regular white rice, we didn't like it. So now I don't put any substitute for barley. My cholent has beans, potatoes, meat or bones, onions, garlic, spices, etc. I just use less water. We had a lot of watery cholents until I figured it out Wink

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 11:34 pm
Just a small amount of brown rice as a filler, not a subsitute for barley. I use 1/3 cup or a bit more to 7-8 potatoes and 2 or more lbs. meat.

workaholicmama

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 11:43 pm
My mother never used barley, so I didn't either... this was the easiest conversion when my dd was diagnosed with celiac. my chulent stayed the same, just the kishke is in triple bags. My MIL knows already to send me every so often the "sakiot ochel" from Israel, cause these don't melt in the heat over shabbos.... (besides for it being much much cheaper than even the generic brand sandwich bags in US...)

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 8:52 am
workaholicmama wrote:
My mother never used barley, so I didn't either... this was the easiest conversion when my dd was diagnosed with celiac. my chulent stayed the same, just the kishke is in triple bags. My MIL knows already to send me every so often the "sakiot ochel" from Israel, cause these don't melt in the heat over shabbos.... (besides for it being much much cheaper than even the generic brand sandwich bags in US...)

What do you mean that the kishke is in triple bags? I would love to be able to use store bought kishke. I stock up on kishke Pesach time and when I run out I make my own. For some reason, I hate making kishke, even though I generally like to cook.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 8:56 am
SorGold wrote:
We use basmati rice (white basmati is the lowest in arsenic) and everyone (guests especially ) love it. Can I ask why you dont want rice?
You can try buckwheat or just do lentils and beans and meat and potatoes or make something more like a pesach cholent.

We use rice so often (bread. Pasta, rice cakes etc.)

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 8:57 am
penguin wrote:
We've done brown rice and it goes really well. I think short grain is best.

You could try millet, tefe...

I tried millet it falls apart Sad
What's tefe?

sky

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 9:09 am
What about a yapchik - just potatoes and meat. I make it for Pesach and it is a huge treat.

Think1st

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
What can I use instead of barley in my chulent ? I'd prefer not to use rice and my family is not a big fan of quiona

just beans potatoes & beef

SorGold

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 4:00 pm
amother wrote:
We use rice so often (bread. Pasta, rice cakes etc.)

OK so you can just leave out the rice. We add small lima beans to cholent bean mix to give it more texture.

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 4:42 pm
If you just want to thicken it without the grain texture you can use rice flour.

I use millet, or quinoa, or wild rice, or any tpye of rice, or more beans.

Go to the grains section of your supermarket and look, lots of options.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking