Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Chai Lifeline Marathon

tomboy

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 10:14 am
I signed up for the half marathon. Has anyone run a marathon before?

MrsDash

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 10:15 am
Run a marathon in general, or run with chai lifeline?

tomboy

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 10:16 am
Either. I've never done anything like this before. I want to know what to expect.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 10:25 am
I've never run with chai lifeline, but I've done a couple 1/2 marathons and one full marathon. The best advice I can give is to run, run, run. Train well, but if at any point you're in pain or injured, nurse yourself back to health before proceeding with more training. Do you have a program you're following? I did a combination of Hal Higdon and my own spin. How long until the race? Any specific questions about the race? Which race are you running in?

tomboy

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 10:35 am
I'm doing the Chai Lifeline half marathon in Miami on 01/24. I'm not following any program yet. Do I need to start training already? I'm pretty fit and have a lot of energy, so I guess that will help.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 10:42 am
Start your training now. More than anything else, you want to build your endurance. Endurance strengthening can take some time. Do you currently run outdoors? If this is your first time running long distance, or it's been a while since doing so, you may want to start with interval training, which would essentially be a run/walk combination.

tomboy

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 11:14 am
I currently run outdoors, but not very long distance. Thx for the advice.

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 11:23 am
I walked the half marathon with Team Lifeline once. I would definitely recommend starting to train already, especially if you plan to run but even if you're walking. They sent out a great guide to stretching exercises which is really important because if you start doing serious exercise without stretching you could injure yourself. Buy good quality running shoes!!!

tomboy

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 11:29 am
Thanks Seeker. I'm doing this wo a buddy. Will it be awkward for me?

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 11:38 am
Awkward how?
Definitely more fun with a friend but I don't see what the problem would be doing it alone.

tomboy

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 11:43 am
Like, if I'm alone the entire weekend. I'm working on convincing a friend to join

Runner18

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 12:16 pm
Chai Lifeline is a great organization to run with...I've run races on my own and after running with Chai Lifeline I could never go back to running races on my own, it's just not the same.

Here are a few tips:

-Clarify your mission about why you want to do this. Being in touch with what motivates you will help you roll out of bed when that alarm goes off at an ungodly hour.
-Follow the training schedule. Really. No, perfect adherence isn't necessary, but overestimating your fitness as a replacement for doing the actual training can have really detrimental consequences.
-Easy does it. Take it slow. You may go for a run that is going so well that you just want to keep adding on miles....you may pay for it in a bad way.
-Continue doing strength training, for all parts of your body. Don't let running take over your workout regiment. Continue to switch it up and give your legs a break.
- Start running now, in the summer, especially since Miami weather tends to be hot and humid.
-Be reasonable about time. When you first start getting into jogging, time yourself but don't get obsessed. It's just to establish a baseline.
-Make a good mix on your ipod with good pump up songs. When running outside, make sure it isn't too loud to hear traffic.
- In the fall, sign up for a 5K so you can get a sense of what it's like to run with adrenaline that comes from running a marathon. I can't tell you how much energy there is in the air...it can carry you away and make you forget what pace works for YOU.
-Don't skip stretching.
-Look around the Internet for tips on do's/don't for your first marathon.
-If you plan to run with a friend, you want to make sure they are someone with a similar pace as you. you don't want a situation where you feel like you are a slowing someone down or the other way around.
-Find the right sneakers. So important.
-Plan out your runs a week in advance, but take it day by day.
-Don't try anything new on race day-- don't try any new snacks, any drinks, any socks, etc. If you're gonna run with a fanny pack, train with it. If you're gonna run with a sweat band, train with it. You want your training experience to be as similar as the real thing.

-Don't worry about being alone for the weekend of the race. I can't tell you how friendly everyone is...it's one of those AMAZING experiences where Jews of all backgrounds come together in such a beautiful way, makes you wish it could be replicated throughout the year.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 1:06 pm
Someone asked me if I want to sign up, I started running but don't think I will do the marathon. There is a possiblity I will go for support for this friend.

That said if it is anything close to the bike4chai/tour de simcha you will NOT feel alone. Chai Lifeline are an amazing organization and show that to their supporters. You will meet plenty new people and will not feel alone at all!

Goo dluck!

MyTimeNow

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 1:29 pm
Seeker & Runner18, those are great tips! I would just add a recommendation for foam rolling as part of the stretching routine. Depending on a few variables, it could be that even thorough and consistent stretching may not be enough to prevent injury. I speak sincerely from the depths of my TFL. LOL
Tomboy, what is a typical run for you, distance-wise? What other exercise do you do? How long have you been running?

I'm just getting back into running after dealing with various annoying injuries. I'd love to do the Miami 1/2 with Chai, but I'd rather expend the fundraising effort for the biking next year. I'm planning to register for the Miami 1/2 not as part of C.L.

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 10:40 pm
Slightly tangential, but regarding the recommendation to load up a playlist - I can never listen to anything while walking/running because all I hear is the pounding of my feet! Do you use some special kind of headphones or what? Davka when I have earbuds in I hear my footfalls loudly pounding in my head. Drives me crazy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics