Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
What jobs can be done from home?
1  2  Next

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 3:01 am
The thought of leaving my baby breaks my heart- is working at home an actual option? Can a good income be made?

justforfun87

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 3:47 am
A good income? Highly doubtful! You can watch other children for at least some income.

ahuva06

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 3:52 am
Graphic design can bring in a nice income, if you are good.
Most jobs that you work from home aren't going to pay all that well...

OOTforlife

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 6:27 am
Working from home is not the same as trying to work from home while caring for a baby. I work from home frequently. When I do, someone else watches my child, same as when I work from the office.

sky

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 6:50 am
As the poster above said. If you are going to do work that brings in a good income then it will be difficult to have your baby around - anything on the phone is almost impossible.
I work from home and I do keep my babies home until about 8 - 10 months depending on their temperament but beyond that it is very difficult to work with a baby at home.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 9:07 am
Hatzlacha

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 9:31 am
As I thought: its basically not an option if the bills are to be paid! Thanks guys anyway

sky

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 9:37 am
If you are happy babysitting in your house for other babies it can make ok money considering you aren't paying to send your baby out

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 9:45 am
I've made it work till my child was two. But I was not working full time hours. But when I factored in that I was saving on childcare and transportation to a job, it really added on alot to my salary.

How much do you want to make a month? Do you have any special skills (which can enable you to work less hours a still come out with a decent salary) Also is dh helpful around the house (that can free up time at night to work)

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 9:52 am
Babysitting can be very good income! And if you enjoy mothering, not even that hard - it's a personality thing. Depending where you live the going rate is at LEAST $10 an hour these days, that means if you take even just 2 kids that's MINIMUM $20 an hour plus not having to pay for your own babysitter plus not having to travel anywhere or dress up or pack lunch or anything so you save a fortune making your effective "salary" even higher, practically. I totally couldn't do it because I'm not cut out for that, but I think my babysitter is brilliant. The work comes to her, she's a natural at it, and she can pretty much manage her own household at the same time - kids have a day off of school? No problem, more help! OTHER people's kids have a day off? No problem, more business! Win-win all around. But you need to like it.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 9:56 am
seeker wrote:
Babysitting can be very good income! And if you enjoy mothering, not even that hard - it's a personality thing. Depending where you live the going rate is at LEAST $10 an hour these days, that means if you take even just 2 kids that's MINIMUM $20 an hour

That sounds very high to me. In my neighborhood, it's $6/hour.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 10:01 am
My neighborhood is 5-6 dollars per hour but if you have three babies $15 an hour is nothing to sneeze at especially because you save on certain expenses by not working out of the home. Also your baby gets to be with small group of similar aged children which is nice for them as a they get a bit older.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 10:01 am
Really? OK. I know NY tends to be on the high side generally but I'd heard that babysitting is similarly expensive elsewhere. though weren't you shopping for uniforms at Weisner? So I guess you are in NY? I was about to say cost of living is probably proportionately less expensive in places where sitters are earning less so it all evens out. It's been a loooong time since I've seen a $6/hour babysitter. Nursery school ends up about that amount.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 10:12 am
Seeker is right.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 10:27 am
Out of curiosity, are women who babysit in their home afraid of being sued?

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 10:27 am
I'm in direct sales and network marketing (and for the past 2 years, a service business as well). I used to be in the top 2% of the direct sales company, for a lot more income than I'm making now from that particular business, but because of my family situation I decided to make that income in a different way and diversify more. Since my kids have a lot of therapy and doctor appointments, they're actually more difficult now (twins, 8 years old) than they were as babies. As babies, every time they napped I could be on the phone and I was able to get a lot more time intensive stuff done because my babies were big nappers. They also liked to hang out in the swings and on the gyminis and they didn't need constant entertainment. NOW, if my kids are home, I'm a cruise director--- playing games, reading to them, chatting with them, taking them out, etc etc. If my kids aren't home, I've got a ton of paperwork to do for doctors, therapists--- IEP meetings, etc etc. So now I still do the direct sales biz, I still have my toes in the network marketing biz, but the bulk of my work time is on my service biz--- one of my clients has me in the office from time to time but never more than 4-5 hours a week--- generally I do all my work at home for that biz and I charge what I want to per hour--- which is more than babysitting plus my time is my own--- I can run errands whenever I want to (I have a friend with a home daycare and I can't see how she ever gets her errands done).

I don't think I would have had the know how to start a service biz without first having done direct sales and network marketing though.

Can you make a full time income working from home? Of COURSE! Is it easy? Nope. But for me, working for myself is always more productive ($ per hour) than working for someone else. Do I work 40 hours a week? Absolutely never. Smile I don't want to.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 10:29 am
babypink amother- sued for what? If you're a home daycare you've got a license and insurance and proper inspections, etc. Parents sign contracts--- I would imagine it would be hard to win a lawsuit against a home daycare.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 10:39 am
Well clearly she's talking about people who are not licensed daycares.
I guess it's a risk. I live in a close-knit community and I would feel comfortable with it, we all know each other's families and I personally would never sue my babysitter no matter what. I trust her very much (wouldn't send my kid to her otherwise, and pay extra for that too) and if anything C"V happened on her watch I would feel confident that it was not her wrongdoing. I mean, my kids have gotten into plenty of scrapes on my own watch and I consider them acts of G-d. I think my sitter has a similar relationship with the other families that use her. She probably babysat for some of us mothers when she was a teenager, and now her kids are older and she's watching ours. Her kids all turned out so fine that I would not mind hiring her as a full-time mother to mine if I could!
Though of course you can never be too careful and I'm sure craziness can happen. I guess it's important to get a good shidduch on both sides. You can probably have parents sign a non-liability contract even if you're not licensed.

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 10:42 am
TwinsMommy wrote:
babypink amother- sued for what? If you're a home daycare you've got a license and insurance and proper inspections, etc. Parents sign contracts--- I would imagine it would be hard to win a lawsuit against a home daycare.

If you are licensed and insured, no issue. In was assuming that people were just sitting without licenses and without insurance for running a business.

The reason why I ask is my grandfather has a caretaker and they were in an auto accident when the caretaker was driving and insurance wanted to know why my grandfather was in the car and whether he was paying. Not that my grandfather was planning to sue but the caretaker would have had complications.

So now I think about stuff like that.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 10:43 am
Where I live, one needs a license to watch 4 or more children. I would probably only want to send a newborn to that type of situation anyway. I think for a little baby more than 4 per caregiver is too much.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers