Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Do you have a heter to put on shabbos makeup? How to do it?
1  2  3  Next

Do you put makeup on Shabbos?
Yes, with a heter. What is it?  
 10%  [ 6 ]
Yes, without a heter.  
 48%  [ 28 ]
No, tried couldnt get a heter  
 41%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 58

sungood

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 10:58 am
Did you ever get a heter to put on shabbos makeup? I would like to hear answers from chasidish people here. I see every shabbos morning people on the street with freshly put on makeup. I would love to know a heter and how to apply it.

I'm chasidish so I would like to hear it from our point of halacha.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 11:27 am
I'm chasidish too and have no clue what you are referring to. I use a 'long lasting spray' when I apply my makeup before licht bentching. I may look 'made up' Shabbos morning, but not necessarily 'freshly' made up all the time.

By the way, why don't you post this in the velt?

sungood

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 11:36 am
amother wrote:
I'm chasidish too and have no clue what you are referring to. I use a 'long lasting spray' when I apply my makeup before licht bentching. I may look 'made up' Shabbos morning, but not necessarily 'freshly' made up all the time.

By the way, why don't you post this in the velt?

I see people with fresh lipstick on, or so it looks. What long lasting spray do you have?

I wasn't excepted to the velt because don't have enough public posts (something I don't understand I only like to post amother.)

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 11:39 am
I'm just wondering why her op was reported?

sungood

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 11:45 am
Scrabble123 wrote:

Why was it taka?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 11:46 am
Scrabble123 wrote:

I'd report her second post. Sounds like a yingerman came on here to bash chasidish women that wear makeup Shabbos (but don't necessarily apply it Shabbos). And he/she only posts anonymously, hmmm...

sungood

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
I'd report her second post. Sounds like a yingerman came on here to bash chasidish women that wear makeup Shabbos (but don't necessarily apply it Shabbos). And he/she only posts anonymously, hmmm...

I see you too like to post anonymously

Sadie

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 11:56 am
I'm not the one that reported it, but the poll was posted twice by mistake so probably someone reported it so that the duplicate could be removed.
I'll report mistyrose though, for misusing amother to insult someone.
There is such a thing as shabbos makeup but I don't know what it is or how to use it, or what the chasidishe halacha regarding it is. But it does exist and people do use it.

married2020

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 12:01 pm
I'm chassidish and the only time I wear Shabbos makeup is if I went to the mikva friday night. I didnt even think of asking, why would you ask? The Shabbos makeup is approved by rabanim...

My makeup usually looks fresh Shabbos day too, use primer and put on more makeup then you normally would wear, and finish it with a spray. For lips, use a double-sided long lasting lipstick (loreal, careline, maybelline, mac all make this)

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 12:04 pm
Never heard of anyone using shabbos makeup irl.

I used to use a long lasting spray like the previous poster. I don't use much makeup at all. Instead I'm really working on improving me skin so I don't have to. It's easier cleaner and healthier. And leaving it on overnight is bad for your skin. Makeup is made to enhance your beauty. "Looking made up" I hate that look.
My sister applies a primer, liquid foundation then powdered foundation and long lasting spray. She sleeps on her back, doesn't touch her face, and looks made up even the second day yom tov. (I've told her she's ruining her skin but that for another thread) and the 24 hour lipstick.

silbergirl

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 12:04 pm
Don't think it needs a heter, depends on your community. There is rabbinically approved Shabbos makeup (its not oil based and just a powder that doesnt stay on you long time) (I think its called shaindee make up) but it really depends on your community.

Many communities dont use that, though, but put on really long lasting cosmetics before Shabbos.

I dont normally hold by this shabbos make up, just tried it once when my mikvah night came out on Shabbos and we were invited out and I was too embarrassed to come bare face. But it was not necessary and it didnt even work on me. We are not chasidic but somewhat litvak haimish.

Kitten

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 12:32 pm
Some rabbis don't allow Shabbos makeup, but since most women I see wear makeup, either they find a way to make it stay 24 hours or most rabbis actually allow it.

sky

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 12:36 pm
There is shabbos makeup - and even with it tons of rules about applying - face has to be clean - some say color must be on brush before shabbos, can't use 2 colors over each other, etc. So have to find out rules of applying before using.

some communities say it is fine, and some say the coloring is still not allowed at all. You really have to ask your own rav.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 12:53 pm
sungood wrote:
Did you ever get a heter to put on shabbos makeup? I would like to hear answers from chasidish people here. I see every shabbos morning people on the street with freshly put on makeup. I would love to know a heter and how to apply it.

I'm chasidish so I would like to hear it from our point of halacha.

I absolutely use shabbos makeup. There was a time where I was putting on regular makeup on shabbos due to my tremendous teiyva so when we went to the Rav of course he allowed the shabbos makeup since the alternative was unacceptable.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 12:56 pm
there are lots of ways to look like your wearing fresh makeup when your not , a good setting spray, lip stains.........

sungood

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 1:04 pm
Silver amother are you chasidish? And the rav said you can use it fully all products they sell? Would you say who the rav was?

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 1:25 pm
I assume lots of people round here do as their makeup looks so good on shabbos. Or they use longlasting makeup ;-)

I don't personally wear it. But I don't wear makeup except for major events. Like my own casual!

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 6:35 pm
We just had a Q&A forum with a highly respectable litvish dayan, and he absolutely forbids using makeup on shabbos, even the kosher one, claiming that a women with more oily skin, the powder sticks automatically to the face. He ensured that this product was taken away from our community.

belovedaz

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 6:59 pm
Some people have the skin type that lets make up stay on longer. My mother my sisters and me all use exact same makeup and besides for the colors being different all the companies are the same and my mother's is off before the Friday night meal is over and mine can stay perfect for second day yom tov. Go figure. My sister's all fall somewhere in between but once my older sis in law told me to take off some make up on third night of yt cuz it was maaras ayin that so much of my makeup was still on it looked like I had put some on again on yt.
This is tricky for me if I ever have mikva on yt cuz it's obvious to everyone :/

Maya

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 7:11 pm
amother wrote:
We just had a Q&A forum with a highly respectable litvish dayan, and he absolutely forbids using makeup on shabbos, even the kosher one, claiming that a women with more oily skin, the powder sticks automatically to the face. He ensured that this product was taken away from our community.

How did he ensure that?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions