Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Mirror Tile Kitchen Backsplash, anyone has it for a while?

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 9:04 pm
What are the pros and cons of a mirrored tile backsplash (antiquey with dots on it)?

With what will be a busy granite counter, Im considering mirrored tiles for the advantages of added light that will be reflected on mirror, and mirror making the kitchen look bigger. Also, If Id choose a patterned backsplash, Im nervous about too much going on, and the more solid not busy tiles, arent practical. Mirror might be easier to clean. Wondering if they chip or crack though.

Mirrored tiles are darker in the flesh than in photo above, they have black dots all over.

Anything anyone who has a tiled mirror backsplash can tell me?

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 9:40 pm
Mirror is definitely less practical that solid color. Water splashes show up easily. Every smudge. And you see a double image of any clutter or mess.

mommyla

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 10:55 pm
I don't have it, but wouldn't recommend it. Fingerprints, smudges, dirt, discoloration... And it's going to look dated very quickly.

IMHopinion

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 11:52 pm
Wow, wow. I don't think it's even possible to keep that clean for 20 seconds.
It's made for a kitchen that isn't constantly in use.
I'm all for beauty over practicality, but this is too much.
(I also think it's a very busy look.)

Iymnok

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 5:13 am
A light colored glossy tile will give a feeling of added space and light. They are also easier to clean. You can do a mix of large tiles and small mosaic type tiles, I just did it and love it.

etky

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 7:33 am
Iymnok wrote:
A light colored glossy tile will give a feeling of added space and light. They are also easier to clean. You can do a mix of large tiles and small mosaic type tiles, I just did it and love it.

Or a light, solid colored one piece glass backsplash. It is also somewhat reflective and will add light but won't show the dirt as easily as mirrored.

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 5:35 pm
I would avoid anything dark or highly reflective as a backsplash. It will show --double--every single droplet of water that lands on it. Unless you are an OCD flylady fetishist who polishes faucets after every use, look at your spigot right now. Spotty, right? Now imagine the entire backsplash looking like that. If you actually like polishing your faucets every time you use them,you need to get a life by all means install a shiny or mirrored backsplash. You'll be in paradise. But if you have better things to do with your time, give it a pass.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 5:54 pm
Sounds beautiful — if you never actually use your kitchen!

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 6:51 pm
It is far too busy for my tastes. I also prefer full height back splashes. Maybe a gray tile tile that compliments the gray in the countertop.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics