Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Bread ends: what to make?

SimchaSays

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 6:52 pm
So... DH doesn't eat the ends of bread and they are too hard for my kids to chew. Which leaves me with a bag of just ends in the freezer.... What can I make with them? Recipes included with ideas is a bonus. Thanks!!

mary6

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 6:54 pm
Breadcrumbs.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 6:55 pm
I always have a bag of 'used' bread in the freezer. When it gets filled up I make breadcrumbs.

pause

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 6:59 pm
croutons
garlic bread

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 8:26 pm
Breadcrumbs. I do like Magenta, collect them until there are enough to bother running the food processor. Then I use them to make baked breaded cauliflower and things like that.

Aetrsnrady

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 8:28 pm
Breakfast Casserole (AKA Bread Ends)
From Taste of home

6-10 eggs
2-3 cups grated cheddar cheese
6 slices bread, cut into cubes
2 cups milk
Salt
Pepper
Optional Additions;
1 cup corn (cooked or frozen)
1/2 cup chopped broccoli (cooked or raw, raw will turn out crunchier)
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 teaspoon herbes de provence, or other dried herbs, or a Tbsp of fresh chopped herbs such as basil, rosemary, or thyme

13 x 9 inch casserole dish
METHOD
1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Mix in the milk and cheese. Add the bread and carefully stir until all pieces of bread are moistened (don't over mix or the bread may disintegrate). Add additions. Add salt and pepper to taste (if using Italian sausage, you won't need either.) Butter a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish. Pour mix into casserole dish.
2 Bake in oven for 50 minutes to an hour, until the top is browned and the center springs back when touched. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

def

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 2:52 am
I make croutons - cube the bread, drizzle with oil and spices (salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder) and bake till crispy. Yum!

Iymnok

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 3:13 am
I make a savory "challah" kugel.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....15918
Or breadcrumbs.

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 12:59 pm
seeker wrote:
Breadcrumbs. I do like Magenta, collect them until there are enough to bother running the food processor. Then I use them to make baked breaded cauliflower and things like that.

me, three. I either make breadcrumbs to add to kugel, meatballs and the like, or I make apple kugel, which calls for stale bread.

I once tried a Weight Watchers recipe for something called "Custardy Bread Pudding with Hard Sauce". Madison Avenue name for what was essentially scrambled eggs larded with chunks of stale bread, topped with a sugar-and-cinnamon-laced lump of diet margarine that sat there like a pus pimple on a teenager's nose.

imeinu

Post Sat, Aug 15 2015, 8:07 pm
zaq wrote:
me, three. I either make breadcrumbs to add to kugel, meatballs and the like, or I make apple kugel, which calls for stale bread.

I once tried a Weight Watchers recipe for something called "Custardy Bread Pudding with Hard Sauce". Madison Avenue name for what was essentially scrambled eggs larded with chunks of stale bread, topped with a sugar-and-cinnamon-laced lump of diet margarine that sat there like a pus pimple on a teenager's nose.

wow! now that's what I call descriptive!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics