Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
NO more BEDTIME

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 2:09 am
what will happen if I just dont put my kids to sleep (4 yr and 3 yr old)?
they've been giving me issues lately anyways and dont go to sleep nicely. it always ends with me yelling and getting so strict. the 3 yr old anyways comes out and does his own thing for however long he wants until he decides to go to sleep on his own (last night it was an hr) and then they both wake up before 5 am!
I am lost as what to do with them
I tried putting them in later, earlier, more worn out, more calm, with charts, prizes under their pillow, songs, games. I feel like I did everything.
now I give up.
I am ready to just tell them "now it's bedtime, please go to bed when you are ready" and leave it at that.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 2:17 am
Once in a while when I get that frustrated I just take a break from bedtime. Why not, whatever you're doing isn't working anyway, so chill out with a good book while they do their own thing (an hour isn't that bad... when my kids decide to do their own thing it takes multiple hours before they are ready to wind down! If it takes yours an hour maybe just give him the hour)

The early waking sounds like a worse issue. No ideas for that, B"H when mine wake early it's usually not way too early.

I don't know a long-term solution for you, just saying that if you feel like "what if I just don't put them to sleep" that's OK, you can totally try that on for size just to give yourself a break. It might be interesting to see what happens. In any case it's a good way to break out of the yelling pattern, which is important to do before you try the next thing anyway.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 5:19 am
thanks for the encouragement.
I'm gonna try it tonight. even though when they stay up for the friday night meal it's usually a disaster, but I will try to keep cool.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 5:24 am
I found that having two bedtimes works. "Officially" bedtime is 6:30, but they can carry on with requests, distractions, conversation or whatever until 7:30. The only rule during that time is they must be sitting or laying in their own bed.
A cheap prize in the morning for those who stay quietly in their beds also helps.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 11:51 am
After a certain amount of time I will just say thats it and hold the door shut. After max 15 min crying they usually settle down or are atleast ready for me to lie down with them without jumping on the beds etc.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 12:16 pm
For the morning issue I would
Suggest telling them they cannot get up and out of the room until a certain time (Potty trips being the exclusion) there are big digital clocks that turn from red To green at a preset time to help with this. They can quietly entertain themselves
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics