Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Rosh Hashana 2015 Menu
1  2  3  Next

saw50st8

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 10:36 am
Post your Rosh Hashana menus or recipes here. Please inspire me, I only have some parts of mine done.

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 10:49 am
If you like sweet challah this is one of my favorites, http://smittenkitchen.com/blog.....llah/

cbg

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 2:14 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Post your Rosh Hashana menus or recipes here. Please inspire me, I only have some parts of mine done.

I also would like some recipes, especially foods that taste better when reheated the second time around. You know like beef boulagnaise, or beefaroni, the way we call it. Also practical tips that are time savers. For example, I pre-sauté and freeze small tubs of onions, then erev chag I parboil baby potatoes. When I'm ready to serve I mix both add dry herbs and roast in the oven.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:39 pm
Here's my menu, but not very inspired since I make dishes my family likes to eat on YT, many of which can be made ahead of time Smile

Sunday Evening
Simanim: apple & honey, dates, pomegranate, leek, gourd, carrot, black eyed peas, head of lamb, fish
challah & dips
gefilte fish
leafy salad
chicken soup & zucchini noodles
pastrami stuffed capons
potato bourekas
broccoli kugel

Monday Afternoon
challah & dips
lemon garlic salmon
hearts of palm salad
sweet & sour brisket
cabbage & noodles
sesame green beans
poached pears

Monday Evening
Shehechiyanu fruit
challah & dips
gefilte fish
cucumber salad
chicken soup & zucchini noodles
skirt steak salad

Tuesday Afternoon
challah & dip
lemon garlic salmon
cole slaw
corned beef
salami quiche Florentine
broccoli florets
sorbet cups

mommy best

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 9:02 pm
Ra_mom can u post recipe for skirt steak salad please.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 7:51 pm
Green Beans with Honey Tahini Glaze

Beans, mentioned in the Talmud as “ruviah,” are symbolic on Rosh Hashanah because their Talmudic name sounds like the Hebrew “to increase,” and therefore indicates a desire for increased blessings in the new year.

Ingredients

1 Tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce
2 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 lb trimmed green beans
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons orange juice
1 teaspoon finely grated ginger

Directions

Preheat oven to 425. Spread beans in a 9×13-inch baking dish; drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat beans evenly. Roast for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together the tahini, honey, tamari, garlic, orange juice, and ginger in a small bowl.

Remove beans from oven. Pour honey-tahini mixture over beans and toss to coat evenly. Return beans to oven and roast for 10-12 additional minutes, until brown and starting to shrivel. Transfer to serving plate and sprinkle with additional salt and pepper to taste.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 7:53 pm
Pomegranate and Honey Glazed Chicken

4 servings

Note: the simmer sauce may be prepared 2-3 days ahead and refrigerated until ready to prepare the chicken.

Ingredients

1 4 lb chicken cut in 1/8ths (breasts cut in half if large)
4 Tbsp canola oil (separated: 2 Tbsp for simmer sauce and 2 Tbsp for browning the chicken)
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup pomegranate molasses
½ cup sweetened pomegranate juice
½ cup honey
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp powdered ginger
⅛ tsp allspice
½ tsp turmeric
salt and pepper to taste

For the garnish:
2 Tbsp parsley
2 Tbsp pomegranate arils (seeds)

Directions
Heat 2 Tbsp canola oil in a large pan (you’ll need a lid for later).

Sauté chopped onion until soft and translucent. Add minced garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes (do not brown).

Add pomegranate molasses, juice, honey, broth and spices.

Stir and bring to boil. Reduce to an active simmer, and cook uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until sauce is reduced by about ½ the volume and slightly thickened.

Taste sauce and adjust seasoning. Too tart? Add 1-2 Tbsp honey. Want more kick? Crack more black pepper.

Remove sauce from heat and pour into bowl. Set aside.

Wash pan.

Rinse chicken parts, pat dry, season with salt and pepper.

Heat remaining 2 Tb. of oil in pan and place chicken parts skin side down. Brown on one side and flip to second side. Do not crowd chicken in the pan as this causes chicken to steam rather than brown.

Lower heat, pour prepared simmer sauce over the chicken. Cover pan and simmer on low for 35-40 minutes.

Remove from pan and platter, garnishing with chopped parsley and pomegranate arils.

About Pomegranates

According to Gil Marks in The Encyclopedia of Jewish Food, the abundance of seeds, nestled into a white membrane and encased in a protective and leathery skin, is associated with the 613 commandments in the Torah. They serve as symbols of righteousness and fruitfulness as expressed in the Rosh Hashanah expression, “May we be full of merits like the pomegranate (is full of seeds).”

Pomegranates are highly symbolic in Jewish tradition, most often associated with fertility and good deeds. By combining the tart flavors of pomegranates with honey here, the sweetness balances the tang and positive energy is imbued in this main course for Rosh Hashanah.

This ancient fruit, prized for it’s juice and seeds (called arils) is mentioned in the Bible as one the seven most bountiful agriculture products of ancient Israel. It is associated with fertility and sensuality and is mentioned six times in the “Song of Songs.”

saw50st8

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 7:34 am
Mine is still a work in progress, but here it is:

Sunday Dinner - 8 adults Allergies: apples, pear

Appetizer:
Simanim Plate (apples, carrots, leeks, beets?)
Golden Beet Soup*

Main Dishes:
Apricot Glazed Chicken
Honey Garlic Brisket*

Side Dishes:
Orzo with Roasted Butter Nut Squash and Pomegranate
Potato Borekas*
Morrocan Swiss Chard Salad
Mixed Greens with Raspberry Cranberry Vinaigrette*

Dessert:
Individual Pomegranate Tortes*

Monday Lunch - 6 adults, 7 kids

Appetizer:
Greens with Mock Crab/Corn Salad

Main Dishes:
Sweet and Sour Meatballs*
Honey-Orange Chicken

Side Dishes:
Leek swirls*
Plain couscous
Pomegranate Apple Salad
Morrocan style vegetables*

Dessert:
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
Apple Roses
Monday Dinner - 9 adults

Appetizer:
Fig and Honey Cocktail
New Fruit Plate
Cauliflower, Pear and Fennel Soup

Main Dishes:
Lamb Meatballs with Apple Chutney

Side Dishes:
Cabbage, Fennel, Apple Compote
Morrocan Quinoa with Carrots

Dessert:
Honey Cookies or Honey Cupcakes
Pomegranate Sorbet

Tuesday Lunch - 4 adults, 4 kids

Main Dish:
Chicken with Prunes in Apple Butter Sauce

Side Dishes:
Pomegranate Coleslaw
Spinach Noodle Kugel
Apple Honey Turnovers

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 3:53 pm
Sweet and Spicy Roast Chicken

Summary description is not mine :-)

A chile-Messed, honey-imbued marinade spiked with fresh citrus juice gives this chicken its fiery, syrupy character. Dates and carrots give the sauce texture and additional sweetness while a garnish of fresh herbs and pistachio nuts lends freshness and crunch. It’s dinner party food at its most flavorful and convenient; its honey marinade makes it a particularly wonderful main course for Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year. The ingredients can be assembled up to 24 hours in advance, then all you need to do is pop it in the oven just before your guests arrive, and garnish it at the last minute. Serve it with couscous, polenta, rice or another soft grain to soak up the sauce.

INGREDIENTS

1 lemon, plus 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, more for pot
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ tablespoons whole grain mustard
3 tablespoons honey
1 bay leaf
½ to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
3 cups sliced carrots (1/4-inch thick)
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
⅔ cup sliced dates
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
¼ cup chopped cilantro or parsley, for garnish
2 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
¼ cup chopped toasted pistachio nuts, for garnish

PREPARATION
Quarter the lemon lengthwise, removing any seeds. Thinly slice crosswise into small wedges and add to small pot of boiling, salted water. Blanch for 2 minutes and drain. Reserve slices.

In a saucepan, whisk together lemon juice, orange juice, oil, mustard, honey, salt, bay leaf, red pepper flakes and black pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool.

Put chicken in a bowl and add honey mixture. Add carrots, onion, dates, thyme and blanched lemon slices. Turn mixture several times to coat. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature, but preferably overnight in the refrigerator.

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Transfer all ingredients, including marinade, to a sheet pan with a rim. Chicken should be skin side up. Roast until chicken is browned and cooked through, about 20 to 30 minutes for breasts and 30 to 40 for legs and wings (remove the pieces as they are done cooking). When the chicken is done, give the carrot mixture in the pan a stir; if the pan looks dry add 2 to 3 tablespoons water. Continue roasting the carrots until they are tender, about 7 to 12 minutes longer.

Spoon carrots over chicken and top with cilantro, scallions and pistachio nuts.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 4:45 pm
mommy best wrote:
Ra_mom can u post recipe for skirt steak salad please.

Skirt Steak Salad
3 tablespoon extra light olive oil, divided
1 1/4 pound skirt steak
1 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced (1/2 of a ten ounce package)
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 head romaine lettuce (or 1 ten ounce bag)
2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
4 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Rinse skirt well, pat dry.
In a small bowl, combine the red wine vinegar, olive oil, crushed garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Heat a large dry skillet over medium heat. When you feel the heat rising from the pan, add 1 tablespoon of  olive oil. Cut the steak as necessary to fit into the pan. Sear skirt steak, 6-7 minutes, then flip and sear an additional 4-5 minutes, or until desired doneness, in batches as necessary. Transfer steak to cutting board and let rest 5 minutes.
Using the same pan, sauté the sliced mushrooms in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil for 2 minutes.
Slice steak on slight diagonal, across the grain, in ¼ inch slices.
Arrange romaine lettuce greens on plates. Top with sliced red onion, sautéed mushrooms, and halved grape tomatoes. Drizzle a bit of dressing over each salad plate. Garnish with sliced steak.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Aug 18 2015, 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 5:09 pm
Saw can I have the orzo recipe please?

saw50st8

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 7:58 am
mha3484 wrote:
Saw can I have the orzo recipe please?

http://overtimecook.com/2014/1.....alad/

Momrus

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 8:36 am
Ramon what broccoli kugel recipe do you use? I can never find one that's yummy. Thanks!

Momrus

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 8:36 am
Oops ra_mom

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 8:41 am
http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....el-2/
This one. Make sure to use the lite mayo.

And for dieting, I use just thawed broccoli, egg whites and seasoning.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 9:53 am
Saw, what's with all the stars?
Also can you please post recipes for:
Leek swirls
Apple roses
Fig and honey cocktail
Spinach noodle kugel

Thanks!!

etky

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 9:57 am
Amarante wrote:
Green Beans with Honey Tahini Glaze

Beans, mentioned in the Talmud as “ruviah,” are symbolic on Rosh Hashanah because their Talmudic name sounds like the Hebrew “to increase,” and therefore indicates a desire for increased blessings in the new year.

Ingredients

1 Tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce
2 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 lb trimmed green beans
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons orange juice
1 teaspoon finely grated ginger

Directions

Preheat oven to 425. Spread beans in a 9×13-inch baking dish; drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat beans evenly. Roast for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together the tahini, honey, tamari, garlic, orange juice, and ginger in a small bowl.

Remove beans from oven. Pour honey-tahini mixture over beans and toss to coat evenly. Return beans to oven and roast for 10-12 additional minutes, until brown and starting to shrivel. Transfer to serving plate and sprinkle with additional salt and pepper to taste.

Curious if you've tried this one. I copied it off a recipe newsletter that I got and I'm thinking of making it for the chag. Would love to know how it comes out before I try it and if I could sub frozen green beans....

etky

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 9:58 am
ra_mom wrote:
http://www.joyofkosher.com/recipes/broccoli-kugel-2/
This one. Make sure to use the lite mayo.

And for dieting, I use just thawed broccoli, egg whites and seasoning.

This is one recipe where the lite actually tastes better than the full fat.
I was making it with the full fat for years until I saw this version. I was skeptical but it's really much better this way.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 10:15 am
eema of 3 wrote:
Saw, what's with all the stars?
Also can you please post recipes for:
Leek swirls
Apple roses
Fig and honey cocktail
Spinach noodle kugel

Thanks!!

* things I will likely make in advance and freeze

http://kosherscoop.com/2012/01/leek-swirls/

http://cookingwithmanuela.blog......html

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitc.....tail/

http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....ugel/

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 10:30 am
etky wrote:
Curious if you've tried this one. I copied it off a recipe newsletter that I got and I'm thinking of making it for the chag. Would love to know how it comes out before I try it and if I could sub frozen green beans....

Yes I made as I am a huge fan of roasted veggies - especially string beans. I liked these. Not sure if it would work with frozen since the water content might be different than the whole fresh string beans I use.

You could experiment before the main event with frozen. This is a recipe I make all the time and it's much simpler as it uses pantry ingredients so it's less of a patchke. They are delish to keep in the fridge as a healthy nosh as they are good cold or at room temperature. Also, I simplify the recipe by just tossing everything together and putting in the oven. And definitely use tin foil to line the pans because the honey makes it sticky. I usually make a bit more of the coating - maybe 1 1/2 times.

Roasted Sesame Green Beans
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Cooks Illustrated
Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
3 cloves medium garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 lb. green beans, stem ends snapped off
1 tablespoon olive oil
Table salt
4 teaspoons sesame seeds (toasted)

Directions:

1. Combine oil, honey, pepper, garlic, and ginger in small bowl; set aside.

2. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 450 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; spread beans on baking sheet. Drizzle with oil; using hands, toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, toss to coat, and distribute in even layer. Roast 10 minutes.

3. Remove baking sheet from oven. Using tongs, coat beans evenly with garlic/ginger mixture; redistribute in even layer. Continue roasting until dark golden brown in spots and starting to shrivel, 10 to 12 minutes longer.

4. Adjust seasoning with salt and and toss well to combine. Transfer to serving dish, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus