Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Can you suggest communities within the NY area or LA area th

BostonGirl

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 1:41 pm
That are very modern? I know Teaneck used to be, but has it become more frum? What about Englewood? Other ideas? Bonus points if it is warm and friendly, prefer an out of town feel. Budget for a small, two bedroom apt or very small house $300k.

momaleh

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 1:59 pm
West Hempstead? Some areas of the 5 towns that are further out are mixed and cheaper, maybe Inwood. Also Livingston, NJ.

BostonGirl

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 2:08 pm
Thanks. Mixed would be wonderful. Do you have any thoughts on which of those suggestions would be a little more friendly/out of town feel?

tichellady

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 3:03 pm
There are great modern orthodox communities in LA but real estate is very expensive

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 3:31 pm
ny area- meaning tri-state? if yes then Linden nj

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 5:29 pm
LA has a nice mix of communities (MO to yeshivish) with schools to match and is a very warm community (not just weather wise!). But you won't find any house for that price.

BostonGirl

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 5:36 pm
Yes, I know it's more expensive. But are there any Jewish areas outside LA or all the frum Jews in LA itself/more expensive areas.

doctorima

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 6:22 pm
Maybe Willowbrook in Staten Island?

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 7:07 pm
When we lived in LA years ago some people were leaving our modern community in the Pico Robertson area and moving to Valley Village because it was cheaper. Does anyone know what that community is like and what housing costs?

tichellady

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 7:18 pm
Valley Village has some modern orthodox families but is a more yeshivaish community in general. And it's cheaper than Pico Robertson but still expensive. Don't think you could really buy anything for $300k there. Maybe if it's about a mile away from the shul but certainly not within the center of the community.

BostonGirl

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 7:22 pm
I just looked online and it seems out of our price range, unfortunately. It looks like $500k is the starting point on homes / condos.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 7:50 pm
I really suggest you look into Linden. It's a very small and very modern community.

Aetrsnrady

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:28 pm
I second Linden. Think you'll really like it

BostonGirl

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 9:16 pm
Thanks. Linden looks like a good option. The photos on zillow make it look fairly built up, I was hoping for a little more tree lined streets. But the houses are affordable and the community sounds great.

One other place I noticed was Maplewood, NJ. Anyone have thoughts/comments on that area?

Thanks!

Tapuzi

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 11:03 pm
There are still plenty of modern people in Teaneck. Englewood is very modern but mostly very expensive and not exactly known as friendly. In Teaneck look into the Country Club neighborhood and areas near Shaare Tefillah and Netivot Shalom. Lots of modern, friendly families.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 11:34 pm
Staten Island is very nice. OOT feel and just next to Brooklyn. I'm very happy there. Many modern families.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating