Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Will be at downstate hospital ny over shabbos

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 6:15 pm
Hi! Didn't know which forum to post this in, but here goes. Dh and I will be at suny downstate hospital with dd (11 months) over shabbos. Is there a frum community at all around the area? A bikkur cholim? Anything we should know about the hospital? We do know that it's not such a great neighborhood, and are somewhat apprehensive. Tia!

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:12 pm
I don't know if there is a bikur cholim in the hospital (it's possible but no idea) but I was a student at SUNY Downstate which is right next to the hospital, and there was a frum rabbi in charge of the Jewish center at the college and probably the hospital too. I think his name is Rabbi Yitzchok Holzman.

I just googled and came up with his contact info:

Rabbi Yitzchok Holzman, an Orthodox Rabbi affiliated with the
Lubavitch community, serves as "Jewish Patient Liaison" for SUNY
Downstate Medical Center.

Services:
Shacharis Morning Prayer: 8:00 AM, daily.
Mincha Afternoon Prayer: 1:45 PM on the 2nd floor BSB
(Radiology) and at 4:00 PM, daily.
Special Holiday programs and events are also held.

Rabbi Holzman is available by calling Tel:(718) 270-1818, Pager:
(917) 218-1818, Email: Rabbi@Downstate.edu

Hope this helps!

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:24 pm
Thanks! Just passed his number along to dh!

Anyone else have experience at this hospital? Will the nurses be familiar with frum Jews and shabbos?

Jeanette

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:38 pm
It is very close to Crown Heights. In addition to calling Rabbi Holtzman you can call CH bikur cholim. http://www.bikurcholimch.org

I would say the nurses are pretty familiar with orthodox jewish needs over shabbos.

goodmorning

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:44 pm
I don't know anything about the hospital, but this [opens pdf] says that there is a Bikur Cholim room. Shabbos apartment and shuls in the neighborhood.

working hard

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 11:02 pm
Just know that the Bikur Cholim room does NOT stock food. They have a refrigerator of kosher food for purchase in the cafeteria. Make sure to arrange for Shabbos food. The bikur cholim room has a fridge you can keep food in.

Kugglegirl

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 8:25 am
Having recently stayed Shabbos & Yom Tov at an infant's bedside, I hope you will not mind if I share a few suggestions:

Hospitals are usually kept much cooler than we keep our homes- pack pajamas or robe accordingly.

A light sweater is useful.

For Shabbas:
Note where stairwells are before Shabbas, and if the doors to get to the stairwell can be manually opened (push/pull open)

Note which sinks and toilets in your childs room and else-wear in the hospital are manual flush and manual faucet handles

Ask relevant questions to your rav about Shabbas in the hospital, any concerns about how to handle your child when they are connected to sensors or other technology-- you may be very relieved to hear what you may do.

If you are "lighting" with LED candles, check them before Shabbas to make sure they are working. (You can't imagine how nice it is now, to light in the mehuder fashion, with actual fire!)

Consider warming your Friday night meal in the microwave, if available, and insulating with towels, immediately before Shabbas, to have a warm meal Friday night.

Consider bringing a themos to fill with a hot drink for Shabbas morning, even if there is a hot water pot in the Kosher pantry or area- You may not want to leave the floor in the morning if something is happening for your child.

You may want to bring Shabbas table cloths, and Challa cover & make a small Shabbas area in your child's room- I did this & felt it helped me to set the tone for Shabbas for me and for our child.

Shabbas in the hospital can be a very spiritual experience. If it is where you and your child need to be, may H'shem bless you to grow from it in a good way.

I wish for your child a refua shelama.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 2:44 pm
thanks so much, Kugglegirl! I had not thought about many of the points you brought up and really appreciate it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics