Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Help me build a very conservative tznius wardrobe- quick & c
1  2  Next

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 7:51 pm
I just signed a contract with a very RW girls school. I am am more "modern" and almost none of my current clothing will work in this environment. I do not want to dress in black from head to toe as many of the women do, but I have to replace my skirts which are way too short, and either get some new tops or at least some shells to put under my current tops which would be considered too low cut in this environment. I have NO money as dh and I have both been out of work so I have had to borrow a little bit to get started. Can anyone help me find cheap, plus sized, tzniusdik clothing for my new job? TIA

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:03 pm
Get one or two black skirts. That's really all you need and vary what you wear on top. No one notices what one is wearing on the bottom and black skirts don't have to be of the highest quality as they blend in.

I think some of these skirts would work and they are relatively inexpensive. If you buy from here, google for a coupon because they are always offering free shipping plus discounts on orders.

http://www.womanwithin.com/Plu.....00455

http://www.womanwithin.com/Plu.....=9270

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Aug 16 2015, 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

youngishbear

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:07 pm
Stick with fabrics and colors that will work in all seasons. I like the suggestion to wear black skirts and whatever tops you already have. With a few shells you could be all set.

lizard8

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:07 pm
For shells, I wouldn't scrimp. The cheaper shell don't all have such great shape and many times the neckline starts to sag. Get less of a decent brand.
You didn't post location, so I can't help with local stores. As far as skirts, if you want to buy less make sure you get at least one black one. Black skirts can be worn more often than other colors. As far as other colors, go for deeper less bright ones like burgundy and hunter green.

SRS

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:11 pm
Find out about good thrift and consignment stores. If you have nice ones in your area, visit once a week and you will pick up a lot of conservative clothing with good cuts for little to nothing.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 9:43 am
I second SRS. Get yourself some basic skirts and shells and augment with second hand. You may find some wonderful stuff. (I'm xl to 1x myself.)
You may want to consider adding a border to some of your skirts if you can live with the results.

Kitten

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 10:03 am
If you already have tops, all you really need is one skirt and 2 or 3 shells.

I would get a black pencil skirt. Black goes with everything and a pencil skirt can also be worn to lengthen dresses, if you have any. In terms of shells, I would get a black one and a white one so you have many options to mix and match.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 10:06 am
Agree with above. Change your skirt as soon as you get home so it will stay clean for another day. Two black a-line skirts and a couple shells should stretch your wardrobe until you can get a feel for what's accepted and what you need.
Get a bunch of cheap knee-hi's.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 10:13 am
Kitten wrote:
If you already have tops, all you really need is one skirt and 2 or 3 shells.

I would get a black pencil skirt. Black goes with everything and a pencil skirt can also be worn to lengthen dresses, if you have any. In terms of shells, I would get a black one and a white one so you have many options to mix and match.

If you have short dresses, the trend now is to add a border and make them a jumper but you can still get away with buying a tube skirt to wear under a short dress. We've talked about this on other threads. I like the look, and by and large, the tube skirts are long enough to be able to sit in with knees covered (unlike lots of pencil skirts) so it's a great tznius solution.

Kitten

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 10:15 am
Iymnok wrote:
Get a bunch of cheap knee-hi's.

Then make sure your skirt is long enough, especially if you're tall. I've seen women wearing knee-highs, even with ankle length skirts, and skin poping out when they go up stairs. I don't know if they are aware of it...

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 10:17 am
PinkFridge wrote:
If you have short dresses, the trend now is to add a border and make them a jumper but you can still get away with buying a tube skirt to wear under a short dress. We've talked about this on other threads. I like the look, and by and large, the tube skirts are long enough to be able to sit in with knees covered (unlike lots of pencil skirts) so it's a great tznius solution.

Where do you find tube skirts?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 10:26 am
Thanks for your help. I live OOT and there aren't any frum stores that cater to plus sizes. Any suggestions for online stores for plus sized shells and tube skirts?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 10:27 am
amother wrote:
Where do you find tube skirts?

They used to be available in plus sizes at a local frum store. Junee makes them but I don't know how large.

Lilibet

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 6:00 pm
Try the sale sections at coldwatercreek; JJill; ullapopken; and try zulilly - which requires a bit of browsing, but can be fabulous

And good luck with the new job!

Eemaof3

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 6:15 pm
If you have Burlington Coat Factory near you try that. I have had lots of luck with skirts and tops there. Also try Marshalls.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 6:21 pm
Order online. Look around at Roaman's website. Don't get any tight skirts. You want to keep that job.

Dress to pass probation and to look organized, trim, prim and right. You can fine-tune your image later. The idea is to not upset these people. At the moment, they don't need you and don't know you and aren't used to you. When you are invisible, you may have more leeway.

Dress to not be thought about. Let them be glad the post is filled with someone absolutely reliable, pleasant, who can get it done. Do NOT let your appearance be a factor one way or another.

It would not be stupid to ask their rebbetzin if she has ideas or knows a source or a gemach. You want the right stuff.

No tight skirts. The words "pencil" and "tube" are scaring me. Whatever happens on this job, and you may fit or you may not, at least don't let any problems be about your clothes. Be able to say that what a sensible person would do, you did.

Your integrity is not at issue. It will not be a betrayal of your authentic self to dress looser and longer. I repeat, you can fine-tune later.

srbmom

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 6:36 pm
Also Talbots Outlet has very conservative looking clothes and they have really good sales at the end of the season

Barbara

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 6:49 pm
amother wrote:
I just signed a contract with a very RW girls school. I am am more "modern" and almost none of my current clothing will work in this environment. I do not want to dress in black from head to toe as many of the women do, but I have to replace my skirts which are way too short, and either get some new tops or at least some shells to put under my current tops which would be considered too low cut in this environment. I have NO money as dh and I have both been out of work so I have had to borrow a little bit to get started. Can anyone help me find cheap, plus sized, tzniusdik clothing for my new job? TIA

Start with 2 or 3 skirts, and add some shirts.

I'd try Kohls, Marshalls/TJMaxx, Lane Bryant, Dress Barn, eloquii.com, coldwatercreek.com. Even Target can have some nice stuff. Someone suggested Talbots, but they're more likely to be dry clean only, which will up your cost. Last resorts would be Avenue and Roamans -- much lower quality, tend to be frumpy.

If you know your size, try ebay. You can score real bargains. I just took a guess at your size, and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TALBOT.....f0b54 Talbots skirt at Walmart prices. Gotta love it.

Neutral tops like plain white blouses can be made to look different using jewelry, belts, sweaters, and other things that you probably already own.

Last edited by Barbara on Mon, Aug 17 2015, 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 6:49 pm
Get very pretty blouses wear a matching solid tee-shirt underneath. . Also get a White and black cotton dickey that looks crispy under sweaters

spring13

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 7:00 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for your help. I live OOT and there aren't any frum stores that cater to plus sizes. Any suggestions for online stores for plus sized shells and tube skirts?

Try http://www.shellsheli.com/ - Kiki Riki runs very small, but Linda Leal shells are excellent and go up to XXL. I have a Linda that's nearly 12 years old and still nice!

Also, try calling http://www.pinkorchidfashion.com/. They probably have more in the store than online. I'm an XL/XXL and Pea Bee Jae are my favorite shells ever, an XL might work for you.

Shells are one thing, but I honestly wouldn't mess with layering skirts. Just get a couple of inexpensive midi or longer skirts. You're going to use them, might as well start out with something you actually need and not just try to fill in gaps.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics