Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
What is typical markdown for reselling? Craigslist tips?

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 2:04 am
Is there a guideline for how to price something you want to resell? Suppose a new item that you either bought and didn't end up using, received as a gift and can't return, e.g. Assuming it hasn't devalued (e.g. newer model out, aging, out of style) how much less than retail are you expected to sell it for?

I have a bunch of items like this. Looked around on Ebay as well as retail sites and chose what I thought was a fair price relative to what others were selling new. Posted on Craigslist because I can't compete with free shipping online retailers, so local exchange makes more sense. But all I'm getting are very low offers and people are telling me it's not reasonable to ask so much when it's only x lower than retail. I feel like, well if you want to pay $40 more to order on Amazon, go ahead. On the other hand, my goods aren't selling... I was hoping to get back at least something towards what I paid (for the things I bought, obviously) or something close to the value but they're not making any money sitting in the closet either. I feel like if I were in the market for, say, a high-end stroller and had a chance to get it for 20% less, that would be a pretty good deal (never goes on sale, been watching it for a while to check how my pricing compares). If you want something cheaper then you buy used or lower quality.

This is getting frustrating. Maybe it's bad karma for all my cheapskate deals. I have actually never paid more than $10 for a stroller (but it was used! Very used! Not an expensive brand either!)

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 2:40 am
Pricing of items is dependent on supply and demand as well as condition. Sometimes prices vary a great deal from city to city. Demand must be high for you to move a volume on CL. In some areas you can get three new pages in a category per day so it pays to relist the item if it drops off the first page of that category.

I live in the PNW and new items, clothing, strollers etc go up with about a 30% markdown. It's pretty much understood that folks will haggle to 40-50%. Used items are pretty much priced based on condition. My area has great consignment and thrift stores so CL sellers have to compete with that market.

The sales process on CL is slower, you have arrange a meet up with a buyer or several buyers. For safety's sake most folks do this in public areas. I sell items on CL that I'm able to buy low and know there is a demand and I can make a reasonable profit for my efforts. Some of these items are bulky so I wouldn't sell them on Ebay due to shipping. I don't do clothing and have a couple of niche categories that I'm good at. I usually post around days that are paydays in my area. (Between the 1st and 5th of the month and then again the 15th of the month.)

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 10:50 pm
I'm not looking to move a volume or make any profit or business out of this. Just doing my own personal space clearing. But some of the items I have happen to be relatively big-ticket items and are brand new. So sure you'd usually buy a stroller from BuyBuyBaby or Amazon or whatever, but if you're looking for a $200+ stroller and I'm selling it for 20% or $40 less, that's a pretty nice bargain for you. If I own a brand new $200 stroller why in the world would I be willing to sell it for $100 or less? And yes the reason I am using craigslist is because it's too bulky to ship so not ebay.

The main things I'm hoping to dump through Craigslist are a brand new stroller and a brand new scooter/bike. Wouldn't mind selling off some baby carriers either but there are dedicated baby carrier groups/pages/forums/etc that I can try, so not desperate there. Also those are not eating up my space. I want the bike and the stroller to go. But not that badly - if I can't get a semi-decent price for the stroller I'll just keep it for "someday" and hope it works out for me then. It's a nice stroller, I just don't want it right now.

Local consignment shops (few and far between) sell used things and not all that cheap. There was one I liked that had good prices on nice things especially at the ends of seasons but they closed. I'd rather buy cheap new Old Navy on sale than pay six times as much for used clothes with a designer label, which is what the current consignment shops seem to have.

I did pretty well selling some of my used stuff cheap through Craigslist but I guess hoping to get more is not serving me well trying to move my large, new things.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 12:08 pm
IME, the general rule is that second hand (yes, even brand new) starts at 50%.

smss

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 12:51 pm
I've sold a lot of stuff and that's been my experience too. Even if it's brand new people expect a major markdown. However, if you don't NEED to get it out now you could hold on to it indefinitely in the hopes that someday SOMEONE will come along...

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 1:13 pm
The two bigger items (scooter-bike and stroller) are occupying quite a bunch of space in our 500-sq-ft apartment but we're starting to get used to that Rolling Eyes

I'd be willing to go cheaper on the scooter-bike but still, I was hoping more like 60-70% rather than 50%. I see 50% on used things a lot and this has zero wear on it, original warranty and packaging. I don't mind losing value on the scooter-bike because the point is that I already have various riding toys and don't need this one (I think. My kids aren't so into their current balance bike, so we surely don't need two, and they don't have a 2-wheeler scooter yet but I could probably scoop a used micro mini or razor for $20 WHEN they want it, and it will be smaller and lighter because not a bike.) And I didn't pay for this one, it was a prize along with other things that were more useful to me. So whatever.

But the stroller I just dunno what to do about it. Truth is I will be in the market for a new stroller next time we have a baby IY"H. My old strollers are all dead, my Maclaren is just about going to make it until my 3-year-old stops needing it. However, this new baby hasn't materialized yet so why am I just sitting here with a stroller? And when I do stroller-shop this wouldn't necessarily be the one I'd choose again, who knows what will be out there by that time. However, I happen to have this one already and the cost to buy a different good stroller (even used) would be significantly more than what I'm being offered for this one. Even though you're saying 50% is a typical price for Craigslist, I haven't seen other strollers like this there - I see cheaper but much junkier ones, which I don't want, and I see more expensive ones that are, well, more expensive. A good solid stroller on Craigslist seems to go for at least $200, depending what type. Either I'm the only one being offered $100 for a good quality stroller, or the others are also settling for less than they listed.

ven

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 1:14 pm
Here a 50 % markdown is pretty much expected also. They dont care if it's new or used lightly .

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 1:32 pm
Brand new re sells for 50%. Used items for less than that.
It just is what it is. When bought brand new at the store people have the option of finding coupons for that store, they get to choose the color and style, they get the experience of walking out of the store with their brand new boxes in their brand new shopping bags and they have the option to think about the purchase and return it a few weeks later.
Once it's sat on the store shelves a while or in someone else's home the value just goes down. It is what it is.
This is why many people don't sell their unwanted items. It's just not worth the headache. And the longer they hold onto the item they feel has worth because of what they paid, the more the value decreases. The boots go out of style, the stroller options out there become more varied. The truth is, there's a reason people resell. They don't need the item like they thought they did or they decided they liked something else better or they got it from someone else who also wanted to get rid of it.
Best option is to use it now while the kids are still in the stage where it can be used or sell it for whatever you can get to turn the space into cash and get some more quality of life via living space. If one keeps things for years, when we're in the market again for such a type product, we just want something else, like you stated above.
I understand your frustration.
I end up giving away my stuff.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 1:58 pm
You'd end up giving away a brand new nearly-$300 stroller? Scratching Head:
Maybe I'll use it, see how I like it, if I like it I'll keep it for "someday" and if I don't love it then I'll sell it for less as gently used and not feel like a sucker for taking less for brand new.
Sigh.

Meanwhile, I'll slash the price on the bike/scooter which I didn't pay anything for, don't need the replacement value (except in the sense that cash is nice, but I won't need to replace the item itself if it goes out), and does take up space.

But I'm torn about the stroller. Doesn't ANYONE want to pay $180 for a nearly-$300 stroller? You can NOT get it that low with sales and coupons, I did my research well before choosing a price. Beating the best retail deals by at least 15% and (shhhh) would consider negotiating down to $170 if I have a serious offer. Not $100 though, for $100 I may as well just have a high-end stroller myself... even if I don't really need it Tongue Out

I should get around to posting my used double also. It is in great shape but taking up significant closet space and I won't be needing it even if/when we have another child - it would take at least two more kids to want to use that again because my little one is too big to need to double-stroll, and even if I'd have twins I'd probably want something more robust than an umbrella stroller. It's great for trips but we're already heading into such unlikely territory that I may as well sell already and replace if needed several years later. Not worth the space.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 6:41 pm
I was just at my local Goodwill there was a Bugaboo Cameleon 3 base NIB for $79. An incredible deal. I live beyond the pale in a secular community. Most folks prefer to donate these items to thrifts or community groups that provide assistance to low income families. We have a furniture share, for the community as well. No child goes without a new mattress if their parents can't afford one. No family goes without a good sofa or a kitchen table either.

I admit to being a furniture junkie. I'm tired of my gently used Natuzzi sofa I paid only $600 for on clearance 5 years ago. I'll call Furniture Share when I find a new sofa and donate it. (No I don't use charitable donations as deductions.)

All of our local consignment stores have free racks outside, be they men's, women's or children's. We have a community clothing share for kids, women and men. If you have a wedding or your child has back to school needs, the community will offer assistance. I can't remember the last time I saw kids toys, furniture or clothing for sale on my local CL. Folks donate.

I like to think that my community will be judged on how they treat others who are struggling.

r1

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 12:40 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
Pricing of items is dependent on supply and demand as well as condition. Sometimes prices vary a great deal from city to city. Demand must be high for you to move a volume on CL. In some areas you can get three new pages in a category per day so it pays to relist the item if it drops off the first page of that category.

I live in the PNW and new items, clothing, strollers etc go up with about a 30% markdown. It's pretty much understood that folks will haggle to 40-50%. Used items are pretty much priced based on condition. My area has great consignment and thrift stores so CL sellers have to compete with that market.

The sales process on CL is slower, you have arrange a meet up with a buyer or several buyers. For safety's sake most folks do this in public areas. I sell items on CL that I'm able to buy low and know there is a demand and I can make a reasonable profit for my efforts. Some of these items are bulky so I wouldn't sell them on Ebay due to shipping. I don't do clothing and have a couple of niche categories that I'm good at. I usually post around days that are paydays in my area. (Between the 1st and 5th of the month and then again the 15th of the month.)

?
where u live sounds kinda cool Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains