Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to cook with Himalayan Salt

Snowdrop

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 6:13 am
I just bought a huge container of Himalayan salt- now I have to work out how on earth you actually cook with it.

Someone told me about it, and it sounded interesting, but I don't really know how it differs from other salts. Is there a different taste? Is it more/ less potent than regular salt (I envisage a spectrum of strength, with table salt on the one side, and kosher salt on the other- where would Himalayan salt fit in?)

Are there specific dishes that it is used in?

Any input would be useful, because, as you can tell, I'm a bit clueless about it Smile

ROFL

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 7:17 am
When I saw this post I thought you bought a salt block to cook on and wanted to see how you did it Wink
Use the salt like regular but taste as you go along.
I love the salt on top of food like salads mashed potatoes etc.
I also put on steak and chicken before grilling with coarse ground pepper. Play around with it It gives food a different dimension

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 1:22 pm
Salt is fun when you use it as a seasoning. I have a chunk of pink Himalayan salt that is about as big as a tennis ball now. I simply microplane it over food.

Try tasting the salts separately, rinse your mouth out between tasting. Your salt taste buds are on either side of the front of your tongue. So to taste the flavor of the salt you may want to put it under your tongue and just let it naturally dissolve. A pinch is all it takes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics