Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
LAKEWOOD BABYSITTER?? NEEDED QUICKLY

underthestars

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 10:58 am
My DIL thought she had a sitter lined up but after picking up her son after work she found the babysitter overwhelmed with many children crying and not having an easy time, and her baby was off to the side screaming his head off. She was not happy and has not gone to work today while she desperately is trying to find someone who isn't over committed to watching too many children/infants.

Can anyone recommend names/sitters that they have used?

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 11:15 am
It's a big problem. A lot of the babysitters are like that. I have had more than one sitter tell me she only takes x amount of kids, but then would end up with a bigger group because her sister/friend/neighbor really needed a babysitter and she couldn't say no.

Would she consider a licensed daycare center. It will cost more, but at least there is a better ratio of caregivers to babies. She has to really check out the daycare center, I know two people working in two different daycares, one is licensed and has a great ratio, the other is not licensed and the woman told me that very often she ends up with a large group by herself.

Another option, I know a few people who join with friends or neighbors and hire a sitter in one of their houses. Like this they can limit the amount of kids and they have more knowledge of what's going on. It will cost more, but it's usually worth it. She should really ask everyone she knows, that's the best way to find a reliable babysitter.

underthestars

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 12:24 pm
Thanks for your response glutenless. I have spoken to her about possibly joining in with other ladies in her situation and hiring someone, but she hasn't yet found enough women to make it possible.

I will ask her about licensed day care centers, but I know $$ is an issue for them.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 12:38 pm
underthestars wrote:
Thanks for your response glutenless. I have spoken to her about possibly joining in with other ladies in her situation and hiring someone, but she hasn't yet found enough women to make it possible.

I will ask her about licensed day care centers, but I know $$ is an issue for them.

Unfortunately money is an issue for many people in Lakewood, which is why the babysitters get away with taking as many kids as they want.

I wish I knew somebody and could help her, I'm not in the babysitter phase of life anymore.

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 12:41 pm
What neighborhood is she looking for? I know someone who is starting in September when school starts. What hours does she need?

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 12:43 pm
I just thought of this. Bein Hazmanim is over and school hasn't started yet. For now at least, can she try to find a teacher who is home with a baby or two and would like to earn a little extra money. Or there are high school girls around who might want to earn some extra. She obviously can't afford to lose her job, it might help if she found someone temporarily, while looking for someone who is really good for long term.

underthestars

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 1:23 pm
Gluteless, that is an idea. I will mention it.

As for neighborhood, since I am not a Lakewood person, I couldn't really tell you that. They live w/in walking distance to the Yeshiva if that tells you something. I presume her hours would be 9-4, or maybe my DS picks up the baby after first seder but then needs someone for the last hour in the afternoon (when he returns for second seder) until she finishes work.

The person she had came highly recommended, but as was said before, she unexpectedly had more kids than was intended.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 1:24 pm
Sorry to disappoint you, but there are no guarantees even in a licensed day care. It depends on the babysitter. Some can cope and others have a harder time. Sometimes the licensed places have mediocre providers because they don't pay as much, so they have a hard time handling the babies even if there are fewer in their charge.

OTOH, tell your DD to ask around. I know so many babysitters who are great and efficient and caring even though they are private. Just do research and you can get just what you need.

I worked all my married life and sent my kids to a yummy babysitter who loved them and took great care of them. We have only the best memories of her, B"H!

sourstix

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 5:36 pm
I just have advice in this. bec I dfont know of babysitters neither do I need one on a dailybasis. but I would tell her not to give up finding someone good. she should keept on looking. and ask the babysitter to tell her from time to time how many kids she has. there isno embarrassment in that. she can say shes coming from a place that neglected her child. and she really is nervous at work when that happens. she herself should pickup her child at different intervals to see what is happening. surprise check ins are the best. she should find an excuse when she does it. it shouldnt sound like she is checking. best of luck. I know how it feels. been there. I do think that lakewooders and me included should ask for better service here. in every area. speak about it. because if business owners would know that you are going elsewear bec of shoddy service they might up their performance. thats how business usually gets better. I am appalled at the attitude here in lakewood how some people treat their business with an aloof attitude. do people not need money? why do you advertize and then when called you arent available and a males voice telling me in a just woken up voice that you wont be availble till 3 when its 10? and its over and over again. people want to shop and they want service. hopefully something will change.

underthestars

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 5:55 pm
Sourstix, thanks for the advice. I will pass it on--I am not a "lakewooder", so I don't really relate to your other issues.

B"H, I spoke with my DIL and she was successful in finding (we hope) a sitter for the first zman hours. She liked that when she called, the person who answered basically said she is not available to speak now because she is in the middle of feeding a child, but would be happy to speak later this evening. My DIL liked that the kids took priority over a phone call.

IYH, it will all work out.

Simple1

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 6:42 pm
If by licensed babysitter, you mean the advertised, chs places, I agree with amother, it's no guarantee. They may be fine, but so are the private ones, but you have do your research.

I subbed in a formal day care, that has a of ratio of 1:5 for babies, I think- don't know if you consider that good.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 6:47 pm
part of the problem is that no one will pay more then $5\hour for babysitting - and that is on the high end. So a babysitter will take more kids because otherwise the pay is pretty lousy.
If they would take less kids and charge more no one would be willing to send.

Personally, I found an AMAZING babysitter for my kids. I really loved her. But I think it is important to ask lots of questions, and pin to a babysitter to give a maximum number of children that she would accept. If she won't then be suspicious.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:02 pm
Two wonderful, attentive, loving responsible babysitters on Lexington near Beis Shalom/Beis Aharon:
Sori Haberfeld
EM Pinkus

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 11:01 pm
Underthestars, I'm happy it seems to have worked out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics