Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
ISO kneading machine for LARGE amounts of dough

einstern

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 10:41 am
Which kneading machine do you recommend for processing/kneading large amounts of dough? My current machine is almost dying every time I make challah with even less flour than needed for mafrish challa Rolling Eyes

Thanks in advance!

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 11:47 am
It's call elbow grease. And your DH's can be substituted for yours, if so desired.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 11:50 am
einstern wrote:
Which kneading machine do you recommend for processing/kneading large amounts of dough? My current machine is almost dying every time I make challah with even less flour than needed for mafrish challa Rolling Eyes

Thanks in advance!

I knead up to 10 lbs by hand. I break it up to two 5lb batches.

Smile1234

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 12:05 pm
I'm sure op knows that she can use her hands. She specifically asked for a machine...

I know the Bosch can for sure do 5 or 6 lbs of flour, I don't know how much more than that.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 12:09 pm
2kg (4.4lb) is what I do by hand. All I have to wash are my hands and the bowl. It takes the same amount of time as it does to say the 15 שיר המעלות. Which I do each time, unless it's Rosh Chodesh when I say hallel. It comes out better that way.

chani8

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 12:35 pm
By hand. You wont believe how much easier it is to make bread with just a big ole bowl and a wooden spoon. So simple. I use two kilos of flour for hafrashas challah, and it's a breeze.

Simply mix with the spoon, spinning the bowl slightly as you stir, until it all comes together. Then get your hands in there, fold the dough over, spin the bowl a bit, fold and spin. Then when it's completely formed, you can either plop the dough onto the counter or just leave it in the bowl, and continue to fold and spin (aka knead) for around 5 minutes. Surely there is a youtube on this!

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 1:45 pm
I do a kg at a time in the bowl, making up new yeast for each batch. Usually 2 batches. The smaller volume makes it easier to handle and work with and making up 2 sequential batches doesn't take much longer than one, I measure 2 of each ingredient and put one aside, then once I've finished the first dough I do the second. It takes maybe 25 minutes to do both, including yeast, as I put the next yeast into water to bubble as I start mixing the first.

This way I can do two tone challah, or different flavors, or one egg and one water, or just a large volume. Trying to do more than 1kg in my little mixer is a disaster. I think Bosch is the biggest in terms of amount of flour, but really, using a bit less is pretty easy and I think it mixes better when the bowl isn't overflowing.

(I always use a machine and don't find it affects the kedusha or taste adversely. You can say tehillim just as easily while mixing in a machine as by hand. And the traditional time to say tehillim and daven is when plaiting the braids, according to Rebetzen Mizrachi (if you hold by such things).)

Fox

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 2:26 pm
I have a Waring 7-quart mixer, and it easily handles 5 lbs. of flour.

http://www.zesco.com/Waring-WS.....1.htm

Note: I didn't pay $600 -- it was a little under $400; don't remember if it was on sale or if I just shopped around until I found a better price.

I do know a couple of people who have commercial mixers -- mostly people who host lots and lots of guests. These are crazy-expensive, but apparently some models can be kashered, so people find situations where bakeries are going out of business, etc.

abs

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 4:33 pm
Magic Mill makes a mixer that kneads 7 lb. flour. It does work differently than your standard mixer, but once you get the hang of it, it does all the work for you.
Yes, I could do it by hand, but I get a rash on my knuckles when I do.

hotmom

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 7:43 pm
I use the Bosch for 6 lbs floor in one go. I'm very happy with it. Just made my 4th lot of Challos for yt. And b"h working beautifully.

ROFL

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 7:48 pm
I mix my ingredients five pound of flour, by hand and then divide the dough into thirds and put in my kitchen aid. Then I put. All three pieces together to let rise
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen