Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Challah Bread Pudding with Chocolate and Raisins

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 1:07 pm
Challah Bread Pudding with Chocolate and Raisins

Recipe courtesy of Dave Lieberman

Use dense, rich challah bread that sets into a creamy soft custard.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Ingredients

4 cups whole milk, warmed
1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, melted in microwave
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 loaf challah bread, cut into 1 1/2-inch slices
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup raisins

Chocolate Ganache, recipe follows

Directions for Bread Pudding

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Combine warmed milk and melted butter with the sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until incorporated and smooth.

Line a large baking dish with two-thirds of the challah slices. Sprinkle with half the chocolate chips and half the raisins. Top with remaining challah slices, layering them one on top of the other, and then remaining chocolate chips and raisins, making sure the chips and raisins get inside the layers created by the challah slices.

Pour milk mixture slowly over the top of everything and let stand until the bread has absorbed almost all of the liquid, 5 to 10 minutes.

Wrap the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and cook 10 to 15 minutes longer until set in the middle and lightly browned on top.

Remove from oven and let cool before serving. Serve with the Chocolate Ganache drizzled over top.

Chocolate Ganache:

1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

In a small saucepan, heat heavy cream to just below a simmer.

Place the chocolate chips in a medium heat-proof bowl and pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips.

Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let sit for 5 minutes.

Remove plastic wrap and whisk vigorously until ganache becomes a uniform smooth chocolate sauce. Serve while warm.

Cook's Note: To make in advance, let cool, cover tightly and keep refrigerated until ready to use. Then microwave on low heat for 20 to 30 second intervals or heat over a double boiler.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 4:39 pm
I've made this recipe in the past and it's delish. I had to cook it far longer than the recipe said, but the wait was worth it!

cbsp

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 4:54 pm
Does this convert well to pareve? If so, what substitutes?

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 5:01 pm
cbsp wrote:
Does this convert well to pareve? If so, what substitutes?

Personally I wouldn't make it since the end result is dependent on the quality of the heavy cream and butter.

I would make a dessert that wasn't reliant on quality dairy products and make this dessert when you can serve dairy. Bread puddings are good for brunches.

cbsp

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 5:13 pm
Amarante wrote:
Personally I wouldn't make it since the end result is dependent on the quality of the heavy cream and butter.

I would make a dessert that wasn't reliant on quality dairy products and make this dessert when you can serve dairy. Bread puddings are good for brunches.

Thanks, in that case I'll file it for chanuka or Shavuos. It sounds really yummy.

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 5:28 pm
cbsp wrote:
Thanks, in that case I'll file it for chanuka or Shavuos. It sounds really yummy.

Better to save. It does work for a fancy sweet if you do a brunch type of gathering. It's like stuffed French toast.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics