Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What is the purpose of a pizza stone?

fbc

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 5:00 pm
Can anyone tell me if you use one? I just looked up pics online, do they really make a difference to the food prepared on it? Thanks:)

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 5:22 pm
The stone applies even but intense heat to mimic the stone floor of the pizza oven that develops the trademark crisp crust. It will still not make your pizza the same as pizza-shop pizza because a pizza oven is different from a regular domestic oven. You can make very tasty pizza without a stone but it will have a softer crust. Buy a stone if you want to be a foodie snob, but if your kitchen space is limited, don't waste it on a tool of such limited use. You will soon get tired of moving that slab of rock around, unless you have a dedicated oven shelf and leave the stone in there at all times.

fbc

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 5:26 pm
So if a recipe specifically calls for one, is it ok to make it without using the stone? Would I have to change anything about temperature/cook time?

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 5:35 pm
It is absolutely ok to bake without a stone. It may take longer to bake. I wouldn't change the temp unless you find it's taking unconscionably long, in which case kick it up 25 degrees or so.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 7:21 pm
Pizza stones take up hardly any room if you store them vertically like cookie sheets.

Pizza stones do help the crust crisp better than just using a pan (but not as good as baking in a professional pizza oven). If you try one, remember that you want the stone to be really hot before putting the pizza on it. A pizza peel (something like a huge pancake turner) is a big help for transferring the pies.

fbc

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 8:04 pm
Ok thanks so much everyone!

Bruria

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 5:32 am
Pizza stones do make a difference in the taste, I've tried both ways here and I think it makes a huge difference, try it out!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics