Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleanup after supper
1  2  Next

sourstix

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:13 pm
how do you clean up that will take the least amount of time? and the easiest way? I am not motivated only to the point where I get very overwhelmed and I have no choice. I need ideas of how to do it that it should be easy and quick. because I give up so quickly I need a quickie that will make it easy. am I clear or am I just going on and on?

pause

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:17 pm
Do the sinks first. Spotless sinks lead to spotless counters and stovetops, and then you just wipe the table with a wet shmatta, and last, sweep the floor. All in all, depending on what you made for supper, it can take 10-30 minutes.

I do a more in-depth cleaning once a week for Shabbas.

Another tip is that I designate for myself a treat that I will not do before the kitchen is clean and then no matter what happens I take the time after the my chores are done. Examples are going onto imamother, reading a book, eating an ices, taking a long luxurious shower, calling a friend...

sourstix

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:25 pm
but what motivates you to begin with? thats my issue. I am not motivated.

sourstix

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:26 pm
about the sink idea. how can I clean it when I have dirty counters? as soon as I clean the counters the sink will get dirty again. its like doing it twice. please explain. I cant do twice even once is so hard.

Sake

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:33 pm
Everything Pause said!! .. The only things I can add are.

Wear comfortable shoes, use fresh clean warm water, scented soap, a bright lit kitchen. Your environment is huge to motivation.
Wash the pots while still warm, as soon as you dish out the meal, as the family is gathering wash the pots quickly and set them aside to dry. Have a hot soapy sink waiting for the children to place the dishes as they clear their spots.

Than as soon as you are finished eating, put the now dry pots away wash the dishes already in the sink, put away. Than wipe counters , sweep floor etc.

Last edited by Sake on Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:37 pm
If it's really hard, only way to manage is: Use disposable tablecloth, dishes and cutlery. Roll everything up and throw out.
Seal leftover pans of food and refrigerate. Wipe down counters with spray and paper towels.
Hopefully just having things maintained and cleaned will eventually motivate you to continue to do so and when you have the strength you'll be able to expand to non disposables that you will be able to clean and maintain as well. Not saying this will happen overnight.

Sake

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:37 pm
Sourstix, "messy" or "dirty" is subjective so make sure you are being realistic with your expectation of a clean kitchen. How bad is it? If it has really gotten away from you and you are over whelmed, why not hire (or trade a favour) with some to do an initial deep clean and organize so that you can have a fresh start and maintain?

Nicole

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:50 pm
Every evening, I straighten the main floor. I begin in the room farthest from the kitchen and methodically work my way in. I put toys away, line up shoes by the door, throw out garbage that's hanging around, and do a quick sweep up. In the kitchen I do the same and also wash the dishes and make lunches for the next day.
I find that the methodical working my way to the kitchen helps. Sometimes I listen to a shiir while I work to make it less boring.

Blue jay

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:56 pm
If your kids are old enough have them clear their plates and place in the sink. IF the sink is jam packed, then just have them clear the dishes and put them in a designated spot. Wipe table with a wet paper towel and watereddown dish soap in a bottle or soap dispenser ( Also comes to good use on Shabbos)

then dont do the dishes!. If you are overwhelmed just stick to clearing the table, sweeping the bits on the floor and go relax after dinner. You'll get to them eventually! Sheesh! (why the rush? Cool ) As long as the dishes are soaking,,,, you have time.

I am not mocking, just trying to get you to relax about housework. Today, housework has become a science to be studied and perfected.

sourstix

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 10:02 pm
any more ideas?

pause

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 10:07 pm
sourstix wrote:
about the sink idea. how can I clean it when I have dirty counters? as soon as I clean the counters the sink will get dirty again. its like doing it twice. please explain. I cant do twice even once is so hard.

You wash the dishes, put them into a drainboard which is on the sink. Once the dishes are done, you wash the sink. Once the sink is done, you take a shmatta (with a bit of soap if you want) and you wipe the contents of the counter onto the floor. The sink remains clean. Then when you sweep the floor, those things land in the garbage.

What motivates me in the first place is the treat I set aside for myself. LOL

pause

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 10:13 pm
QueenBee3 wrote:
If your kids are old enough have them clear their plates and place in the sink. IF the sink is jam packed, then just have them clear the dishes and put them in a designated spot. Wipe table with a wet paper towel and watereddown dish soap in a bottle or soap dispenser ( Also comes to good use on Shabbos)

then dont do the dishes!. If you are overwhelmed just stick to clearing the table, sweeping the bits on the floor and go relax after dinner. You'll get to them eventually! Sheesh! (why the rush? Cool ) As long as the dishes are soaking,,,, you have time.

I am not mocking, just trying to get you to relax about housework. Today, housework has become a science to be studied and perfected.

I'll explain why the rush. Dishes tend to not get washed on their own. It's not like if you don't wash them now, it'll be easier later on. (Like laundry where you may have the same amount of loads later in the week, but each load will be larger.) It is very UNMOTIVATING to clean a dirty kitchen. Keeping it clean usually motivates one to continue keeping it clean. Once you get into a lazy rut, it's harder to climb out. It's way easier to develop a consistent bite-sized routine than have a dishes-washing marathon when the kitchen begins to smell. Also, I tend to reuse pots IYKWIM. It's extremely annoying to be in the middle of cooking supper only to notice that the pot you need is dirty in the sink, and then you need to stop the food prep to wash the pot. Very inefficient.

Blue jay

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 10:28 pm
pause wrote:
I'll explain why the rush. Dishes tend to not get washed on their own. It's not like if you don't wash them now, it'll be easier later on. (Like laundry where you may have the same amount of loads later in the week, but each load will be larger.) It is very UNMOTIVATING to clean a dirty kitchen. Keeping it clean usually motivates one to continue keeping it clean. Once you get into a lazy rut, it's harder to climb out. It's way easier to develop a consistent bite-sized routine than have a dishes-washing marathon when the kitchen begins to smell. Also, I tend to reuse pots IYKWIM. It's extremely annoying to be in the middle of cooking supper only to notice that the pot you need is dirty in the sink, and then you need to stop the food prep to wash the pot. Very inefficient.

Ok... I understand where you are coming from. In my case, to be specific after cooking and cleaning all day long, I usually just like to give myself a break after dinner. The dishes are washed after the kids are in bed or sometimes they are soaking in the sink until the next morning. When I impose strict rules or routines on myself I tend to rebel. It makes me very angry that 'I have to do anything" when I am busy cleaning up all day long. Thats why in my case there is no rush. When I feel the urge to clean my dishes I clean them. Thankfully they are clean right now!....until the next dish.

Sadie

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 3:39 am
The thing that helps me get started is putting on a podcast. That way I can work like a robot but my mind is being stimulated and I don't get bored.

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 5:15 am
My motivation this week for keeping my kitchen clean was fruit flies. Usually I watch ocd cleaners or hoarders. Plus now I no longer have a cleaner 3 times a week, I have to do it. I found that if I do the dishes straight away in the morning after breakfast and again after dinner its better than being online then having to do all the dishes at 11 pm.

salt

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 5:45 am
I sometimes set myself a timer - not for washing up in the evening, cos I don't mind doing that, but usually on Friday mornings shabbos preperations.
Kind of like you'd do with a child - "let's see if you can get your pajamas on before my alarm rings in 4 minutes" - silly as it is, would you believe it, it works for me too!
Sometimes just the joy of seeing the counters cleared before the timer rings is enough to satisfy me. and sometimes it's a little treat that I set aside for myself - as a previous poster wrote.

momx6

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 7:52 am
amother wrote:
If it's really hard, only way to manage is: Use disposable tablecloth, dishes and cutlery. Roll everything up and throw out.
Seal leftover pans of food and refrigerate. Wipe down counters with Sabi pray and paper towels.
Hopefully just having things maintained and cleaned will eventually motivate you to continue to do so and when you have the strength you'll be able to expand to non disposables that you will be able to clean and maintain as well. Not saying this will happen overnight.

This is exactly what I've been doing lately. (I was embarrassed to say it... The plastic tablecloth really helps.) it cuts down on the table cleanup. Then I just have the counters and the few dishes to deal with.

pause

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 9:59 am
QueenBee3 wrote:
Ok... I understand where you are coming from. In my case, to be specific after cooking and cleaning all day long, I usually just like to give myself a break after dinner. The dishes are washed after the kids are in bed or sometimes they are soaking in the sink until the next morning. When I impose strict rules or routines on myself I tend to rebel. It makes me very angry that 'I have to do anything" when I am busy cleaning up all day long. Thats why in my case there is no rush. When I feel the urge to clean my dishes I clean them. Thankfully they are clean right now!....until the next dish.

So I guess we're talking past each other because you bet I take a break after dinner. Kids play around and I'm relaxing. I start clean-up only once most of them are in bed.

And also I don't clean all day. It's a conscious decision I make to not clean so that I can accomplish the most in my day, such as cooking, errands, laundry, etc. Clean-up happens once a day. Bedrooms right before bedtime - just pack away the toys. Kitchen and dining room - after bedtime.

kollel wife

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 12:10 pm
Are you very tired and not feeling well at that time or not motivated?

If just not motivated, I would say clear the table into the sink and garbage and sweep the floor, then clear and wipe the counters. Leave the washing for last - everything else is more or less clean and washing dishes is more tedious and tiring.

I would do the dishes later or in the morning.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
Seal leftover pans of food and refrigerate. Wipe down counters with spray and pajper towels.

If it's still hard use clorox wipes instead of a spray
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics