Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Question about flylady..

sourstix

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 7:49 am
I am not clear if she says to keep it dry all day. so if I wash a baby bottle I need to dry with dish towel? the goal is to keep it dry too? is the goal to wash it the night before and its clean the next morning? so after breakfast I clean the sink again and dry?

sourstix

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 7:54 am
cant be busy drying all day. no problem doing the night before but not all day. just asking to clarify. maybe this would be a good program for me. keep me structured.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 8:03 am
Flylady program is a great one to follow. Whenever I do it seriously, I can see an amazing difference in how my house runs...27 fling boogies every day, keeps the clutter away. About the sink, I guess the best scenario would be to keep it dry all day, but with a household of lots of little ones, this would be impossible, so the main thing would be to shine the sink daily and then to dry it periodically as time allows. Following.....

Kugglegirl

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 8:27 am
She would say "baby steps" & don't get hung up on perfectionism.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 9:15 am
It's not necessarily about the sink. (She says that too.) It's about picking one place that you keep clean no matter what. Personally I find it more rewarding to do this for the counters. If the counters are always clean, empty of clutter and dry it's a much bigger deal, visually and organizationally, than a sink.

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 2:16 pm
I believe I polished my sink once about six-seven years ago when I first discovered flylady, and coincidentally discovered that a polished sink did as little for me as an unpolished one, namely, nothing at all. Besides, in a living, breathing home, the sink is in constant use; keeping it dry, let alone polished, is about as useful as putting on lipstick while eating an ice cream cone. ITA that clean and dry counters are much more important, not the least because ours are laminate and water in the seams will make those babies peel like an onion. More important still is keeping the kitchen table, upon which you eat, clean and dry. Especially clean.

I polish and dry the sink preparatory to kashering for Pesach. I would do the same before showing a house to a prospective buyer, and possibly before entertaining some VIP like prospective machatonim. I say "possibly" because chances are I would be serving a meal and people would be going to the kitchen to wash, at which point the sink would no longer be dry. So what would be the point of polishing it dry? Clean, yes--wouldn't want future machatonim to see shreds of wilted veggies and moldy hummus lying around in there,--but polished? Waste of time and energy.

If you're washing baby bottles, do yourself a favor, dear, and ignore flylady's strictures about polished sinks being the focal point of your kitchen. She happens to have a sink fixation, and it's possible that her kitchen sink is a huge monstrosity that smacks you in the eye the moment you set foot in her kitchen. But yours isn't and doesn't, and besides, you have a baby. Don't sweat the sink and don't expect to be able to maintain standards of housekeeping on a par with someone who does not have young children in the house. Plenty of time for that level of obsessive-compulsive housekeeping when you're an empty-nester.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 2:29 pm
There's a hot line called hakol bseder that is similar to flylady, works for the heimish family.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics