Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
VENT--high cost of housing in NYC

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 12:08 pm
This is just to vent my frustration at the high cost of housing in nyc. Prices have doubled in just the past 3-4 years!!!

I'm not knocking myself for not buying earlier because we simply were not in a position to buy then. Now we are but we can't find anything in our price range!!! And yes we're willing to consider less desirable locations.

I want to move out of nyc but it's hard to start all over again, find a job, find a compatible community... Sometimes a community looks perfect but I cant find a job there, or the schools are not what we want, or they're too far away. (I'd prefer to stay in Midwest or northeast.)

Staying in NYC makes the most sense bc I have a decent job here but I cant keep living in this tiny run down apartment.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 12:18 pm
Ha! Prices doubled in the past 3-4 years? We couldn't afford it 10 years ago. Sad

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 12:28 pm
amother wrote:
Ha! Prices doubled in the past 3-4 years? We couldn't afford it 10 years ago. Sad

Neither could I... But we COULD afford last year's price if it didn't go up so much in the meantime... Sad

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 12:59 pm
Uch I know. We just stretched and went all in this year. It's not entirely comfortable, and we afford it by the skin of our teeth, but prices rise alot faster than salaries and rent rises, mortgages don't. We expect in a year or two we'll be making more and the payments will be more comfortable. Leaving NY is not an option for us either, because one of our kids has needs that can't be met elsewhere.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 1:16 pm
10 years ago housing was high. In 2008 when the housing market crashed houses dropped to rock bottom record prices. They stayed at the bottom for a few years. I think in 2011 they started climbing back up which is why prices seem to have doubled in the last few years, but they are actually simply climbing back up to normal NYC amounts instead of the record low amounts. They will plateau soon enough (if they haven't already) and remain steady at these prices for awhile with a normal slower rate of increase instead.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating