Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Which crib is best

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 6:40 pm
I'm looking into buying a crib for my 5 month old baby. Until now was sleeping in cradle. Now need to buy crib. It's my first baby, so want to know what you recoommend? Portable crib, mini crib, or regular big crib?

I have 2 bedroom apartment ,so not much space since the second bedroom is quite small.. What's the best choice? and where should I shop for it?

TIA

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 7:10 pm
Portable cribs are not made for daily use over a period of years and won't hold up under the onslaught of several children. They're really meant for travel and for people who have grandchildren sleep over occasionally. They are also quite a bit smaller than standard cribs and have less padding. Go for a standard crib that will last through all your future children and that will fit the youngest child for longer. Kids outgrow a porta-crib pretty fast because it's small, whereas a standard crib can even serve as a junior bed for a child of five or six if you take off the sides. Just buy a style that's more sleek and sophisticated than cutesy-poo and infantile (no bunny-and-rattle decals).

Oh, one more down-side of most portacribs is that the sides don't lower so you can really do a number on your bag lifting a kid out of it.

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 7:16 pm
zaq wrote:

Oh, one more down-side of most portacribs is that the sides don't lower so you can really do a number on your bag lifting a kid out of it.

None of the new cribs have drop sides. It's considered a safety hazard nowadays.

I think the ikea cribs are great. Ours has held up very nicely. And it turns into a toddler bed.

chatz

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 7:13 am
The portacribs I have have a system of going higher for a newborn. As the above poster mentioned, cribs aren't made with drop down sides anymore.

A full size crib would be nice, but I have a small apartment and went for smaller. By my second baby, I got one from a local store that is really solid. I have it for 4 years now and it's going strong. Has wheels, so I'm not sure how it would be categorized. I also have a Delta one which is a bit less solid (but would still be good for at least two kids).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics