Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How old were you when you bought a house?
1  2  Next

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 2:27 pm
How old were you when you bought a house (in NY/NJ) and did you have financial assistance?
All my friends are talking about buying houses (I'm 25) and I don't think we can buy a house for another 7 years (married 3 yrs with a 2 year old).

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 2:35 pm
26 years old but that was over 20 years ago, different situation.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 2:49 pm
When I was 21. And built house at 24. I got some money in gifts by my first house. Second house all alone.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 2:57 pm
23, but like other poster said, that was many moons ago. When I got married, the market had been on a rise and I had put away money during my high-school and working years, that had increased in value. So I was able to use it as a downpayment for my house. I think market trends are different these days.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 3:11 pm
I'm 28 and in the process of buying. We are supplementing what we saved up with a yerusha. Dh actually came into the marriage (nearly a decade ago) with this money and was planning on not touching it unless absolutely necessary. We realized that if we spend another two years saving up enough for a down payment for today's prices, it won't be enough for whatever will be in 2 years! So we decided it's better to take the plunge now.
Don't feel bad, things are different than they were for our parents and grandparents, and not in a good way. I would say about half my friends have bought at this point. Nearly all of them had assistance, and the ones that didn't live in a cheaper area, and even then, they're still an anomaly.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 3:17 pm
Life is not a race. That's my new mantra. I have been married six years, have no children, own no house, and try to focus on how much I do have! I'm not judging you at all, I often feel like everyone's ahead of me.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 3:20 pm
I am thirty seven and still don't own a house.

We can afford one now but the prices have risen dramatically.

tweety1

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 4:26 pm
31 with assistance. Married a few yrs.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 4:29 pm
23, newly married, I had saved a nice amount working at a good job before married, and I had no living expenses.

We did buy at the absolute height of the market, the market is just catching up with what we paid many years ago.

We bought a small house that we b'h have filled beyond capacity, it is a starter home that we couldn't have bought later in life.

SYA

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 5:17 pm
I was 28 and had no help.
We bought during the crash, right before the prices started rising again.

justforfun87

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 5:26 pm
26 but with assistance from my father's life insurance policy. We pay the mortgage with our dual income. I can't imagine ever being able to save up all that money by ourselves with all of our bills.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 5:41 pm
21 but that was a long time and many houses ago.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Aug 22 2015, 10:55 pm
27 with two children (one tuition). No assistance, but our parents did give us a generous gift that allowed us to make some renovations that would have been put off for a few years otherwise. I had a lot in savings from my single years, we had some wedding money, and we were very frugal and had decent jobs. We're slowly fixing it up.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Aug 22 2015, 11:12 pm
I was 30 & did it alone. you have to have bitachon; when the time is right with enough money (however you get it -borrowing, saving, receiving --)it has a way of working out.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Aug 22 2015, 11:41 pm
I'm 27 with 4 kids b"h and now in the process of buying and will go for a mortgage. We would never buy if we wouldn't have the full down payment and all construction expenses ourselves. Both our parents and siblings don't own their homes.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 1:05 am
24 but we got the down payment as a gift. we could never do it alone.

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 1:22 am
Dear OP,
Nothing personal but I really don't think this is a healthy thread.

My dh constantly looks around at others his age and younger and laments that he still doesn't have a house. But we can't afford it yet and neither parents can afford to help. And I'm not interested in throwing every penny to be foreclosed cuz we can't pay for it.

So age makes no dif in the matter and can only make u feel more pressure to hear so many ppl were able to young.

I have many many many friends my age and younger that bought already but I can't think abt it. I'm happy for them that they were able to but I don't want to be jealous.

Don't compare ages please... For ur own sanity and health.
Just look forward and keep saving as much as possible and hopefully someday soon you can be in that stage too.

Its like an older single asking ppl how old they were when got married as if that will make them get married faster... Bad idea.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 4:37 am
I was just turning 27 and pregnant with our first child.

We saved a $200,000 down payment by living frugally for 3 years of marriage. That meant living in a studio apartment in student housing for $350 a month and no takeout or fancy vacations or big splurges. I was in grad school fulltime and DH was working crazy hours at a big firm. We lived off his salary but saved some every month plus the year end bonuses and our wedding money added up pretty quickly.

Jewishmom8

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 5:49 am
24. We bought an apt when the neighborhood was still pretty new, and the building wasn't built yet. it was a great investment BH. My husband had an inheritance so we were able to pay the down payment and now we have a nice big mortgage :-)

Iymnok

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 6:12 am
Bought, I was 27 or 28, it was finished, we moved in and started really paying at 30.
Financed by dh's yerusha. I'm happy we didn't buy earlier, now I know what's important to me in a house, I'm happy with my kitchen design and other changes we made.
This is our fifth home after four rentals.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics