Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Any other teachers dreading going back to work.
1  2  3  Next

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 9:10 pm
My husband doesn't want to hear it. I wish I were a bad teacher, but I'm not. I'm one of those teachers who always has the board members kids, AKA the difficult kids. I want to do something else anything else. Financially my husband freaks out when I say it. I feel completely unappreciated by the administration and I just can't deal with it anymore. Just looking for some sympathy.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 9:12 pm
I'm also sort of dreading it. I'm burnt out.
The pay is quite decent and the students are relatively easy so I can't justify leaving. ..
Hopefully I'll get into the spirit and it will be another great year

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 9:27 pm
Pay isn't decent and students are hard. I used to love it. In such a bad mood tonight.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 9:30 pm
Do you have any other options? Do you have a degree? Can you do P3?
If not, can you tutor?

Volunteer

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 9:39 pm
Yeah , I hear you.I always felt this way. If there was one skill you could improve this year, what would it be? I found that always trying to improve something about my work gave me some motivation.

That said, teacher burnout is a really big problem. I 've read that attrition for teachers is very high, considering how much training teachers need..

Interesting that you mentioned the board members' kids, and your low pay. I wonder if there's a connection between the topic of this thread and the tuition thread... hmm...

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 9:42 pm
I'm just sick of it. It's not just the wealthy families, it's any family whose related to anyone important. The kids are often disasters and the parents don't want to hear it and the school coddles them.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 9:48 pm
I was feeling the same way. Then last month the school made the decision for me and didn't renew my contract. Although of course I'm now nervous without a job, it lifted a weight off me. I realized I'm just DONE teaching and stopped looking for teaching jobs. Now I need to figure out what else to do. Not sure what that will be, but one thing I know is I am NEVER setting foot in a a classroom again.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 9:49 pm
amother wrote:
I was feeling the same way. Then last month the school made the decision for me and didn't renew my contract. Although of course I'm now nervous without a job, it lifted a weight off me. I realized I'm just DONE teaching and stopped looking for teaching jobs. Now I need to figure out what else to do. Not sure what that will be, but one thing I know is I am NEVER setting foot in a a classroom again.

I wish they would have done that. My husband is completely unsupportive and will not even consider that I do anything else. Getting fired would be the best thing that could happen to me.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 10:33 pm
I'm also dreading it --I get heart palpatations ...--the worst is that there really are no real consequences teachers can give --especially to board members kids who bully others....

But I really want to enjoy the rest of my vacation so I'm really trying not to think about it until the day before --meanwhile I'm trying to focus on still enjoying each day...
Good luck to all..

sourstix

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 10:39 pm
why is your dh controlling what type of job you have? and what is this he wont hear it? its two adults discussing something and coming to a solution to he pproblem. it doesnt sound mature. I dont mean to hurt you. just pointing out so you can get some clarity. why wont he hear you? you need to be happy. there are so many other jobs you can have. I dont know what else you have at this job that may be is making you stay. is the pay decent? I dont have the whole picture. I dont need to. but to support you I would need more info.

sourstix

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 10:41 pm
oh I just reread your op. I see that financially its whats keeping you there. if so it must be so hard to work in a place that your not appreciated. totaly get you. I hope you can stick it out till you find something else that will appreeciate you for what you are. keep going.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 10:43 pm
sourstix wrote:
why is your dh controlling what type of job you have? and what is this he wont hear it? its two adults discussing something and coming to a solution to he pproblem. it doesnt sound mature. I dont mean to hurt you. just pointing out so you can get some clarity. why wont he hear you? you need to be happy. there are so many other jobs you can have. I dont know what else you have at this job that may be is making you stay. is the pay decent? I dont have the whole picture. I dont need to. but to support you I would need more info.

It isn't mature and yes it is controlling and he won't see that. As far as he's concerned we need the little money I'm making once were done paying for child care. I think that he's wrong, because he makes a nice salary and he just can't stomach the thought of not having that extra padding. I'm not going to find a solution this is my reality. I just want some sympathy.

ckk

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 10:43 pm
Oh that's so hard. I'm also about to get a really difficult child, child of a board member....
The end of the summer is such a hard time for teachers. I find its like jumping into a cold swimming pool. But once I'm in I warm up and usually enjoy what I'm doing. Its hard to jump in though at the beginning of the year.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 10:45 pm
ckk wrote:
Oh that's so hard. I'm also about to get a really difficult child, child of a board member....
The end of the summer is such a hard time for teachers. I find its like jumping into a cold swimming pool. But once in in I warm up and usually enjoy wear I'm going. Is hard to jump in though at the beginning of the year.

By the way my father was on the board of every school my siblings and I went to. I understand where schools are coming from. Doesn't mean its right.

ckk

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 11:09 pm
amother wrote:
By the way my father was on the board of every school my siblings and I went to. I understand where schools are coming from. Doesn't mean its right.

What do you understand? That they choose the best teachers for their own kids? I think there is room for disagreement but I also understand.
That their kids are somehow above the law and invincible? I think that its not only unfair to the other kids in the class and unfair to the teacher. It's hugely unfair to the child who is missing out on getting a good chinuch and who is being raised to be an adult that feels above rules and law. It's sad.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 4:34 am
Discipline them as you would anyone else. If they don't like it they could fire you. Then everyone will be happy!

believeit

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 6:26 am
amother wrote:
I wish they would have done that. My husband is completely unsupportive and will not even consider that I do anything else. Getting fired would be the best thing that could happen to me.

I used to think that too. Then I got fired and I'm still jobless! Financial wise I'm at the bottom... I would take any job by now. I hope you never reach that....
GL but be careful about wishing this...

crystal

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 7:24 am
I don't mean to be harsh, but I believe teaching is something people should only do if their heart is in it. I have to say that I hope most of you don't end up with one of my children.

Also teaching is generally not the best paying job, why don't you look for something else in a different field? Will solve both issues?

Good luck!

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 7:53 am
crystal wrote:
I don't mean to be harsh, but I believe teaching is something people should only do if their heart is in it. I have to say that I hope most of you don't end up with one of my children.

Also teaching is generally not the best paying job, why don't you look for something else in a different field? Will solve both issues?

Good luck!

This is not helpful. I went into teachings because I love children that has not changed. It's the adults I can't stand. If you read any of the above you would realize why I'm stuck.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 8:55 am
This is my first year not teaching. I found a government job and I could not be happier. Smile
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics