Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Any other teachers dreading going back to work.
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 10:26 am
end of the summer is hard as a teacher!
I like teaching, I do , but like other ppl said, you can get really burnt out really quickly, especially if your teaching little kids
I left a school after 4 years after feeling so unappreciated and dealing with such dysfunctionality and disorganization.
Bh last minute (as in 2 weeks ago) I found another teaching position, a whole new grade, a whole new curriculum, and new subjects.
Im freaking out, but I think I made the right choice. Im hoping with this change, I am going to be happy teaching again.

Also, even though teaching can be so frustrating, and mentally exhausting, I wouldn't give it up because I see its the best for my family. I dont make that much of course, but its worth it to me.
I see how much my sisters struggle as nurses and other kind of jobs, always finding babysitters, (Especially these crazy 3 weeks of in between camp and school!) alwyas juggling the school schedule. While Bh (!!!) for me, thats not what I struggle with.

I think after the yomim tovim things will settle down, and youll get into a rhythm .
Best of luck!

crystal

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
This is not helpful. I went into teachings because I love children that has not changed. It's the adults I can't stand. If you read any of the above you would realize why I'm stuck.

I read it, and I understand your feelings. But the fact is that you don't enjoy your job anymore and you're dreading going back. That will spill over to your students.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 10:58 am
I dread it every year. Cannot sleep at night.

But then- school starts and I am back on fire. BH I am an excellent teacher who also gets all the board members kids, all the difficult ones too.... but I love it. I really do. Its just nice to be home with my kiddies and do things like laundry, bank and dentist appointments.

It'll be ok. It always seems worse these last two weeks before school. Its like what the previous poster said, about being pushed into a cold swimming pool.

fbc

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 12:51 pm
Dread going back to school? I don't think I dread it. Am I all pumped up and just ready to roll? No. I can't believe vacations over Sad wish it would last just a wee bit longer! But once I'm back in the classroom dealing with the little kids, I'm on love all over again. But truthfully, this will be my 6th year teaching (as an assistant). I have no college degree at all, and would certainly like a change of scenery at this point...

Benevolence

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
This is my first year not teaching. I found a government job and I could not be happier. Smile

besha'ah tova!!

SRS

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 2:01 pm
OP, I understand your husband feels financially stressed. Who doesn't? What would stop you from going out and applying for positions that pay just about the same outside of the world of yeshivas.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 2:54 pm
crystal wrote:
I read it, and I understand your feelings. But the fact is that you don't enjoy your job anymore and you're dreading going back. That will spill over to your students.

Wow. You must have a really nice life that you never aren't happy about something. You clearly understand nothing or you would stop posting. I am looking for teachers opinions only. I need people to help me change my mindset and all you are doing is making me remember how much many parents are jerks.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 2:54 pm
SRS wrote:
OP, I understand your husband feels financially stressed. Who doesn't? What would stop you from going out and applying for positions that pay just about the same outside of the world of yeshivas.

Tuition break.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 2:56 pm
amother wrote:
I dread it every year. Cannot sleep at night.

But then- school starts and I am back on fire. BH I am an excellent teacher who also gets all the board members kids, all the difficult ones too.... but I love it. I really do. Its just nice to be home with my kiddies and do things like laundry, bank and dentist appointments.

It'll be ok. It always seems worse these last two weeks before school. Its like what the previous poster said, about being pushed into a cold swimming pool.

This is what I think will happen. This is the type of thing I needed to hear That it's not just me. Thank you for posting this. I needed to hear from other teachers not critical people who think they know everything.

SRS

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 5:12 pm
amother wrote:
Tuition break.

Oh, that is huge? Since you are anon, what does that translate into dollars wise and for how long will that package be that valuable? Perhaps even if you can't make an exit now, you can start planning your exit? I have friends with tuition breaks through employment that total anywhere from nearly 20K in value to probably over 100K, so yeah, that is a tough spot to be in.

Is there a possibility that the school could move you into something more administrative? Do you have enough leverage to insist that you not be placed with certain children?

Oh I feel for you.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
end of the summer is hard as a teacher!
I like teaching, I do , but like other ppl said, you can get really burnt out really quickly, especially if your teaching little kids
I left a school after 4 years after feeling so unappreciated and dealing with such dysfunctionality and disorganization.
Bh last minute (as in 2 weeks ago) I found another teaching position, a whole new grade, a whole new curriculum, and new subjects.
Im freaking out, but I think I made the right choice. Im hoping with this change, I am going to be happy teaching again.

Also, even though teaching can be so frustrating, and mentally exhausting, I wouldn't give it up because I see its the best for my family. I dont make that much of course, but its worth it to me.
I see how much my sisters struggle as nurses and other kind of jobs, always finding babysitters, (Especially these crazy 3 weeks of in between camp and school!) alwyas juggling the school schedule. While Bh (!!!) for me, thats not what I struggle with.

I think after the yomim tovim things will settle down, and youll get into a rhythm .
Best of luck!

you think summer is hard for a teacher? what about those of us who work all summer long and longingly watch those of you who are teachers enjoy their loooong vacation. You should really appreciate that you can teach. I used to teach, but financially it just made no sense for me anymore. How I miss teaching, and the convenience of being off for yomim tovim and the summer. You all dont realize how lucky you are.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 9:39 pm
Am I the only one who noticed this thread is in an area called TEACHER'S ROOM.

Why are non teachers even able to post here????

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 9:55 pm
Its a public thread.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 7:19 am
Many are absent a lot, constantly sick, ask for complacency certificates from docs...

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 8:06 am
I'm sorry op but please get another job. It's not fair to the 25 students you teach and to their parents. I've had too many burnt out teachers. I'll daven for you that you get fired. Teaching is not a regular job if it's not in you don't do it. Please don't blame board member kids just because someone is wealthy doesn't mean kids are brats and any teacher that can write every board members kids are terrible and so is the parents then the problem is the teacher.

It could be that one or two kids will get away with something but to make every student bad because they are wealthy something is wrong with you.

Please please get out of teaching. You don't belong there.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 8:27 am
Anyone whose re ding th a thread who is not a teacher and is posting nasty comments I guess you've never had a bad day huh? If you had read my posts I say I was a board members child my issue is not that these children are wealthy it's that the principals are afraid of the parents. Many children have issues that have not been handled due to this and when they are all in one class it's terrible. Can you imagine being expected to keep a dyslexic child on grade level who is getting no devices because the parents ding want it. Or the child with no friends because they pick their nose and eat it, but u you are expected to ensure they have friends ASAP. Two examples of board members children from last year and I gad five. So give me a break for being in a bad mood the other night.

Children love my classroom. I love my students. I don't like nasty parents and the politics. I need a break this year and I'm allowed to vent and if you don't like it your probably one of the parents who are nasty to teachers.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 8:32 am
So every year u have five board member kids and every year the board members kids are bad and parents are bad?

If you can't see any good then the problem lies in you. Please don't teach it's not for you.

ahuva06

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 8:42 am
Mint, really! OP asked more than once for encouragement. Encouragement means positivity. Words of kindness. Words of support. If you have none, just stop following this thread! If she was such a rotten teacher she wouldn't care if she wasn't giving it her all, she'd be happy that she was getting her pay check and finished.

OP, I know how you feel. I taught for 5 years in the same school and every summer I wanted to quit. Summer vacation is wonderful, you don't have to deal with the stress that you deal with during the winter. You get to do things that you normally don't have time for. You get to focus on your family and yourself and take a break from thinking about your 20 (+) other beautiful souls that you worry about 24/7 during the school months.
That being said, there is nothing like standing in front of the classroom having all those precious children in your care. You get to watch them grow and flourish under your watch and it's the most wonderful feeling in the world. Try to remember that aspect and pray that your parent body won't be too difficult!!
You have an opportunity of forever changing these lives for the better. Many people can't say such a thing. Focus on that and be the best teacher you can be!
Good luck!!

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 9:59 am
Maybe teachers should appreciate the fact that they get two months vacation time to spend with their families and many working people don't get two months off to appreciate their own family. Many parents never get family time.

morah

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 10:19 am
So Mint, a teacher is never allowed to gripe or complain or have any issues with their job because it has nice perks and kids are involved. Why gee, if teaching is so wonderful and you seem to know so much about how it should be done, why haven't you quit your job and become a teacher? Do share.

FTR, I enjoy going back and actually get a little antsy toward the end of the summer. I like the rigid routine that comes with the school year. I love teaching, but that doesn't mean there aren't warts that come along with it and really bad days. I have little tolerance for know-it-alls who think they know something about the profession just because they went to school just like everyone else in the developed world.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics