Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
WARNING! Don't use ATMs in Manhattan!
1  2  Next

shlomki

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 9:16 pm
I just went through something which I found a little traumatic and I feel the need to warn others. We were strolling the village area of nyc and we passed a small chase branch. We went on to withdraw money. I was standing by the door with the stroller (inside) and my husband was at the machine. All of the sudden these 2 really suspicious guys give me the eyes and start bamging on the door.. I called my husband over cuz I'm quite paranoid and I freaked out.. He opened the door for them cuz he got lost and one of them says "achi achi" and the other said something in Arabic.. We were still in a daze so we walked out.. Then my husband realized that my husband had just started a transaction- we checked on the app and saw that they had withdrawn $500 from our account! Yes I know we shouldn't have opened the door for them but it seems like they were planning on swiping us either way..
This is not the first time we're having an incident in a nyc bank in the evening. There are many thugs walking the streets of the city and they're attracted to ppl using ATMs..
Sorry for the long vent I just needed to get it off my chest as it happened less than an hr ago..

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 9:20 pm
Did you call the police? The cameras would have caught them on tape.

shlomki

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 9:30 pm
Nope we didn't think it was worth calling the cops down and spending all night on it... Bh chase was nice and credited the money to us right away..

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 9:31 pm
Sounds like a trauma! Call chase and report it right away. Maybe you'll get your $ back.

Simple1

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 9:33 pm
It's probably a good idea to make a police report anyway as it may help in the long run to catch the thieves.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 9:38 pm
You should file a police report.

shlomki

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 9:39 pm
Can I file a report over the phone if I'm not there anymore?

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 9:53 pm
Call and find out. You may need to go into the station.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 12:28 am
Do call the police. But I think the warning about the entire island is a bit excessive.

Also call your own bank.

Smile1234

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 8:04 am
This can happen anywhere. My father is always wary of letting his wife and daughters go to ATMs alone at night. He often insists on coming along, or strongly suggesting that they go in the daytime...

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 8:14 am
Scary.

I'll join the chorus asking you to call the police and file a report. The guys were probably on the bank's camera, and your report will help convict them for another robbery down the line when they finally do get caught.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 9:05 am
Not sur not using manhattan ATMs is a feasible plan of action, for those like myself who live here. All of is have to be cautious and careful when using ATMs no matter where we are

shoshanim999

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 9:11 am
Sorry that happened to you OP, it must have been really scary. I'm not sure why you suggest not using any of the hundreds of ATM'S in Manhattan at night though.....

Barbara

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 9:49 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
Sorry that happened to you OP, it must have been really scary. I'm not sure why you suggest not using any of the hundreds of ATM'S in Manhattan at night though.....

What she said. There are unsavory characters everywhere. You should always be careful and aware of your surroundings.

That said, what I learn from the story is:

(1) If you are at an ATM in a locked vestibule, and someone you consider to be threatening bangs on the door because s/he doesn't have an ATM card (or doesn't want to use it -- if they use their own ATM card to get in, they can be instantly identified), don't let him/her in. You can call 911.

(2) If you do decide that its best to leave, cancel your transaction first. In fact, never walk an inch from an ATM without cancelling your transaction.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 10:31 am
Sorry this happened.

Calling the police even a day later can still help. They will riddle you with questions why you didn't call right away though.

I was assaulted on a train once and I didn't know who to call how to report it. The next day I saw cops in the train station so I asked them and they helped me file a report. I don't believe they ever caught the perps (some school youth) but they did assign a detective to it who made me look through a million pictures but it was some time after and I couldn't really recognize them. BUT it DID give me some closure.

It was a scary experience and painful but knowing that the police were supportive and helpful and wanting to help, gave me a feeling of protection and closure.

Please call the police of that district to report it. You are lucky that Chase credited you that is nice of them.

kb

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 10:45 am
I'm just wondering: if Chase credited them, wouldn't it stand to reason that they looked through their cameras and filed a police report themselves?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 12:44 pm
How do you get your card out of the machine before a transaction is concluded?

kb

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 12:57 pm
Some machines just have you dip the card, vs keeping it in the whole time.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 1:00 pm
kb wrote:
Some machines just have you dip the card, vs keeping it in the whole time.

TY machines around here are insert but then I only use the machine at my credit union, so there may be dips as well.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 4:00 pm
Yes, it is better to use ATMs during crowded times. During the day.

It is a room to be very aware in, talk to nobody, help nobody with anything, be very aware, say nothing to anybody. Including pitiful people. They are shills working for someone else.

I see no point at all in opening the door for other people to go in. If they were going to bother you, better on the street than in the back of a closed room in isolation.

Your being so visible at the front through the door was not so great; stay with your husband at the machine. But that's the least of it. Mainly, use these machines in the daytime.

And make quite, quite sure, your account is closed after finishing the transaction.

What does Manhattan have to do with it? The same thing would have happened anywhere. Those rules apply to all places.

Stick to the daytime, if humanly possible.

And be aware of who, on the street, may be noticing you leave, and maybe following you. You obviously have money on you, when you have just left an ATM room. Go into a store if someone is following you.

Situational awareness is necessary everywhere, and that has nothing to do with Manhattan.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics