Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
In Between Day Camp/Care
1  2  Next

What are you doing with your kids this week?
Family vacation  
 14%  [ 4 ]
Bring-your-kid-to-work-week  
 0%  [ 0 ]
In home babysitter  
 11%  [ 3 ]
Relying on friends and family  
 18%  [ 5 ]
Possibly having a nervous breakdown and completely stressing out! :(  
 55%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 27

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 2:00 pm
Are there any such day camps in Boro Park area right now?
My son is on day 1 of 2 weeks off school and I had to bring him to work - not the greatest I am so on edge and he is bored stiff.

I need a day camp style, in between thing. I know usually young girls run these things like "block parties" but I need something reliable with responsible leaders. I don't trust just any random 12 year old with my son - he is too active and curious. Especially with 20 other young boys. Nuh-uh.

I found such a thing in Park slope but it is not Jewish so I am not keen on that. Anything that anyone knows of?

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 3:54 pm
I paid a TON of money to send to the most expensive in between camp we have. They are the only ones who have enough hours.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 3:56 pm
I would pay anything at this point if there was something...I seriously am losing my mind but I need somewhere - As a kid all we did was make day camps and day cares for any time parents needed. Why are the girls in this part of town so snobby that it is beneath them to babysit or make day camps? (and I am not tlaking for free)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 5:11 pm
There might be something on 42nd and 12th. They have something a few times a year.
Here is the number 7184381353.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 5:13 pm
You can also try Rivka Brody. Sometimes she has fun school as well 3477854636.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 5:55 pm
Rivky kohn 718-419-6536
She is making one

GreenEyes26

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 5:56 pm
Why didn't you arrange for child care weeks ago? You knew this was coming, no? My kid also has 2 weeks off now between camp and school and I had to spend a ton of extra money for in-between care. It's such a huge pain, but I work full-time, so...it is what it is.

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 6:13 pm
BH we only have one week but DH (Self employed) already counted on getting very little done this week (he also watches the kids) and we anticipated that a while ago income wise so its a wash. Not spending on extra child care but not making as much either.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 7:04 pm
Rachel Berger in Flatbush 5166953488.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 10:31 am
GreenEyes26 wrote:
Why didn't you arrange for child care weeks ago? You knew this was coming, no? My kid also has 2 weeks off now between camp and school and I had to spend a ton of extra money for in-between care. It's such a huge pain, but I work full-time, so...it is what it is.

Judgmental much?

I also work Full time. I leave my house before 9 and often don't get home before 6:30 pm.
My husband works even longer than that.
It is a huge pain. And I have already spent loads of money.

I did try for the past 4-5 weeks to find someone, anywhere, for my son (in between an extremely hectic job) but for some reason people in my area are not very willing to give out information. Once I find somewhere and tell them then they say "oh right I knew she does it".

So no I didn't wait until last minute but I did nearly have a nervous breakdown for 5 weeks. In case you never noticed, I barely come on Imamother anymore. I came on here because this was my last resort.

Thanks for all the numbers I managed to find someone last night, my sheitel macher told me about where she is sending her kids and thankfully they had room. Next week is still unsure but we will continue working on it I will try call some of the numbers posted here - thanks again!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 10:39 am
I am glad you found someone. I don't work as many hours as you do but also struggled to figure out what to do with my kids. Last minute I sent them to the in between camp their regular day camp made. It's costing me way more than I wanted to spend but I had no choice. Next week I have mostly figured out bh.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 10:39 am
Sorry you're going through this.
I had something planned from the beginning of the summer and last week it fell through. Of course by then all the in-between camps in my area were full.
BH I have managed to scrape some favors together but I owe a lot of people and I hate that.

leah233

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 11:26 am
I don't know how old your son is but in Flatbush they have a structured learning and more program for boys between day camp and school. (I don't have details I just remember reading articles about it)

runninglate

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 11:37 am
Chocolate chips, just wanted to say that I did notice that you weren't around ... Good to see you.

suzyq

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 1:20 pm
I've been saying to my husband that someone could make a killing by running a camp that runs from the day school ends to the day school begins. It makes me crazy that there is NOT ONE CAMP that runs the entire time that people need it. It's horrible for the kids and it's very difficult on parents. UGH. I felt lucky that I found an in-between camp for my kids that actually had decent hours, but I feel horrible moving my kids around so much.

Simple1

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 1:39 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
I would pay anything at this point if there was something...I seriously am losing my mind but I need somewhere - As a kid all we did was make day camps and day cares for any time parents needed. Why are the girls in this part of town so snobby that it is beneath them to babysit or make day camps? (and I am not tlaking for free)

Do you have a group of interested mothers? If so, maybe you can approach the girls and ask them if they want to run a little camp - sometimes the main obstacle for girls to run a camp is getting a group.

Mrs. Crocs

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 6:59 pm
I've been sending to Rivka Brody for the past 3 years. She's fantastic. My kids love going there. She's located slightly into Flatbush. There's a handful of Boro Park people that send there. She does 9-4 for $30 a child. You can send till 3:00 for $25.

runninglate

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 7:13 pm
suzyq wrote:
I've been saying to my husband that someone could make a killing by running a camp that runs from the day school ends to the day school begins. It makes me crazy that there is NOT ONE CAMP that runs the entire time that people need it. It's horrible for the kids and it's very difficult on parents. UGH. I felt lucky that I found an in-between camp for my kids that actually had decent hours, but I feel horrible moving my kids around so much.
Out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to pay for this?

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 9:05 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
I paid a TON of money to send to the most expensive in between camp we have. They are the only ones who have enough hours.

Same here. It was extremely difficult to find someone with the hours I need and it still wasn't enough so my husband and I are taking turns working half days to come home early for the kids. It would've been easier for me to take a week off lwop but that wasn't an option.

Next week is worse. My boys have 3 half days before a full day. It's worse then my daughter who starts very late but the first day starts as a regular full day.

For some reason, the frum community doesn't cater to full time working mothers. It's extremely frustrating.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 9:16 pm
I just today hired my cleaning lady and occasional babysitter of 3 years to be my full time Mon-Thurs housekeeper/babysitter. Between 4 children in 3 different schools and staggered start and finish times, and the cost of after school care for some of them, and chol hamoed when I work, and tzom gedalia when they have half days, and different January breaks, and the stress I go through trying to line up sitters, and the extra costs involved, we figured we'd bite the bullet and pay the difference to take the stress off our heads and have a seamless year for once.

BH I already had someone reliable in my life to do this though, and BH she was interested!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics