Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What do RYNJ junior high girls wear to school? Where to buy?

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 2:44 pm
My daughter is attending RYNJ, Yeshiva of North Jersey, this fall. Until now she has attended a school where she had to wear a uniform. I read the dress code, but I don't know what kind of tops the girls usually wear or where to buy them. I think she has enough straight (not too tight) and A-line skirts already, but only one or two solid-colored tops.

So I want to know what kind of tops to buy her, and where to find them. Also, what kind of shoes do girls wear? And do girls usually wear sweatshirts with the RYNJ logo if they're not on a team, or do they wear plain ones?

My daughter is not usually clothes conscious but as a new student she would like to fit in, so I would appreciate any help with this.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 2:59 pm
First, good luck with the transition. It's a wonderful school and really not materialistic. But there are mini trends in every group. Set aside time to shop after she's been in school for a week, so she can see what others are wearing. But again, it's not the kind of place where the wrong clothes doom you to nerd world forever.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 3:45 pm
Welcome to ynj! My daughter is there too. What grade? Although there is no uniform, there is a dress code. Tops have to be solid colors, 3/4 or longer sleeves, appropriate neckline. No button downs needed, any style fine. Skirts have to be covering knee, black, blue denim, tan or grey. Lots of kids in shirts from gap or target or kosher casual. Some fancier stores. Mostly sweaters , tees and Lots if hoodies over tshirts. Shoes are sneakers, particularly converse and uggs in winter. The morot are pretty strict about skirts in middle school. If something is too tight, or too short they will give a long black "skirted skirt" that I think costs $5 to rent. In sundays sweatshirts with designs are allowed.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 12:54 pm
OP here. Thanks for the replies. I do know about the dress code, I just didn't know what kind of tops the girls actually wear. So they wear plain tees (I assume with shells underneath?) and sweaters. Do they also wear button-downs and polo-style shirts? I know that girls are allowed to wear plain sweatshirts or hoodies, but do they wear these, or do they buy the ones with the school logo?

I'm glad to hear that the school isn't materialistic, because my daughter really isn't either, even if it may seem otherwise from this post.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 1:30 pm
Long sleeved t-shirts from Old Navy and Target are fine. I think most girls wear plain colored hoodies and sweatshirts, not the school ones.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 4:45 pm
Button down shirts and polos not as in, depends on color and style. Some kids wear school sweatshirt, not many. Like all schools, some kids are materialistic, some are not.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 5:39 pm
Thank you!

I'm amused that my amother color is denim. Do girls wear denim skirts btw?

My daughter is entering 7th grade.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 10:28 pm
There are girls who wear denim. My kids prefer the denim look in a stretchy pencil skirt. Hardtail skirts and similar styles is a cheaper brand are very popular, especially the skater skirt look. The local girls get a lot of their skirts in Teaneck at Carly's Craze for the Kosher Casual brand or at Brooklyn's for the Hardtail or similar. Good luck! Happy to help if you have any other questions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children