Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What's the story with Oros Yisroel?????
1  2  Next

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 3:53 pm
Just heard a msg on my voicemail from Oros Yisroel (Lakewood) that they're not opening tomorrow due to their financial situation.
Nobody is reachable over there.
What does this mean??? Am I stuck with my special needs son now with no school for the year? When I'm about to start a new job???
Does anyone know what this means?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 6:08 pm
Schools really do this? They take your money and close with no notification or placement of your children?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 7:53 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Schools really do this? They take your money and close with no notification or placement of your children?

I have no doubt that if this is permanent, they will refund any money paid toward this year.
My immediate concern is my son's education, and what to do with him for now.

UQT

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 8:02 pm
Doesn't this happen every year?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 8:09 pm
UQT wrote:
Doesn't this happen every year?

I have no idea. We're new in the school.
Is this typical of this school?

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 9:58 pm
I heard they open up late every year cuz of money issues

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 11:14 pm
WELCOME TO LAKEWOOD

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 12:01 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
WELCOME TO LAKEWOOD

This has nothing to do with Lakewood. And it's rather unhelpful.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 12:51 am
I don't understand isnt tuition there $16,000 a child and they don't give any breaks even to kollell parents? Why don't they have money if all the parents pay or collect for their child's tuition but they get paid?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 12:53 am
amother wrote:
I don't understand isnt tuition there $16,000 a child and they don't give any breaks even to kollell parents? Why don't they have money if all the parents pay or collect for their child's tuition but they get paid?

Maybe because Rabbeim are in charge of these schools and their finances and not those who are accountants, businessmen etc....?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 12:58 am
amother wrote:
This has nothing to do with Lakewood. And it's rather unhelpful.

It might be unhelpful but it does seem to have something to do with Lakewood. Lakewood seems to have trouble every year with its schools. Not enough of them, schools not starting on time, and not accepting students for some inane reason. I haven't found this happening elsewhere where I have lived. Maybe once every bunch of years there is an issue with a school threatening to close down. But not like this. I haven't heard of dozens of girls not getting into any local high school. We have never had a school call right before school starts saying that they are not opening. (They might say in the previous school year that they won't reopen, but then they don't take applications and warn the families appropriately.)
But it seems to be an "only Lakewood" issue: school. So yeah, it does have to do with Lakewood.
Lakewood: FIX YOUR SCHOOLS ALREADY!!!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 1:05 am
But oras Yisroel charges so much in tuition and they force parents to pay so they should not have financial difficulty.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 1:10 am
16k for a school for kids with special needs doesn't sound like a lot at all.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 1:22 am
It's not special needs like schii its for kids that will eventually be main streamed into a normal yeshiva by fourth or fifth grade and most kids are. Plus they don't have a building every year they are in another school for a different grade so please tell me where their money is going to.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 1:50 am
It's still not alot of money...my ds is in a school like that cost btwn 42 and 52,000...16,000 is only about 6 grand more than I pay for regular school...I wish my ds had a tuition like that.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 2:00 am
Well for Lakewood it is high tuition. Tuition here is 4,000 for my boys and that's with a top school and stunning building they even have a wedding hall in the school.

You are forgetting that in Lakewood the rabbeim and teachers get paid a lot less so the cost of running a school is cheaper in Lakewood plus Oras Yisroel has no building they run out of all the other schools in Lakewood so they don't need a lot of money to run the school.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 7:39 am
amother wrote:
It's not special needs like schii its for kids that will eventually be main streamed into a normal yeshiva by fourth or fifth grade and most kids are. Plus they don't have a building every year they are in another school for a different grade so please tell me where their money is going to.

You have no clue what you are talking about.
Their tuition is $12,000 officially, and very few parents can pay that much. Oros Yisroel doesn't force anything. They beg and they plead but they accept what parents can pay.
And some boys are mainstreamed eventually but not all. The rebbeim and teachers are specially trained to deal with children who have emotional and behavioral problems.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 7:39 am
amother wrote:
Well for Lakewood it is high tuition. Tuition here is 4,000 for my boys and that's with a top school and stunning building they even have a wedding hall in the school.

You are forgetting that in Lakewood the rabbeim and teachers get paid a lot less so the cost of running a school is cheaper in Lakewood plus Oras Yisroel has no building they run out of all the other schools in Lakewood so they don't need a lot of money to run the school.

I assume that the school pays rent for the space. It's not free. And even if the rebbeim are being paid ridiculously low salaries, aren't the classes smaller than in a mainstream school? I have no idea how Lakewood schools cover their costs, but at 4000 a student, it's not coming from tuition. It may be coming from hall rental and outside fundraising. I don't know. The cost of educating each child is probably closer to 10k. So 12 or 16 for a school with extra attention is still quite reasonable.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 7:41 am
Sorry, accidentally double posted.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 7:42 am
amother wrote:
It might be unhelpful but it does seem to have something to do with Lakewood. Lakewood seems to have trouble every year with its schools. Not enough of them, schools not starting on time, and not accepting students for some inane reason. I haven't found this happening elsewhere where I have lived. Maybe once every bunch of years there is an issue with a school threatening to close down. But not like this. I haven't heard of dozens of girls not getting into any local high school. We have never had a school call right before school starts saying that they are not opening. (They might say in the previous school year that they won't reopen, but then they don't take applications and warn the families appropriately.)
But it seems to be an "only Lakewood" issue: school. So yeah, it does have to do with Lakewood.
Lakewood: FIX YOUR SCHOOLS ALREADY!!!

Thanks for the speech, but declaring that "Lakewood" should "do something" makes you feel good about yourself but leaves me feeling disregarded.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics