Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Attn Speech Therapists--should I be worried?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 5:30 pm
I guess we're a little antsy b/c we already have one child diagnosed with Apraxia, but our 6 month old baby laughs, shrieks and coos, moans but doesn't really make babbling noises yet and isn't really imitating yet, and I've noticed that her mouth is always open with her tongue protruding slightly. Even our Apraxic child babbled early on--dada, baba, mama. Our pediatrician put us on alert. Are we worrying prematurely?

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 7:03 pm
I also have a child who has aprixia and it is very long road so at a year when my next one wasn't really talking or making a lot of sounds I called for ei right away. Yes it was for my own neves yes I campare it all I can't help it I went though it once it's been a lot of work . But at least u know what to look for you know what to do and u can hope your worries are for nothing.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 10:06 pm
I am not a speech therapist, but I am a mother of 4 kids who have had various speech delays, including apraxia.

Babies should officially be babbling by 6 months old, but I wouldn't really worry just yet. Especially since EI has become much stricter nowadays, and they rarely give speech therapy under 12 months old.

However, you should make sure to talk to her a lot, and babble to her sometimes. if she still doesn't babble soon, you may want to get her hearing tested.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:09 pm
OP here, she definitely hears fine, she laughs and smiles and is very aware of her surroundings. She squeals in delight and gets startled by noises, turns her head at hearing her name (when person speaking is not in sight) and loves when people talk to her. I'm not saying I'm calling for EI already, but her voice is a little nasal and she's not really using her voice when she's mouthing--other than grunting. I once had a "laughing" conversation with her, but she's coming up on 7 months and not really making other noises. I know very well about the "long haul" for Apraxia--and I'm just worried about--here we go again. I've tried pressing her lips together like to go "mama" but she's not catching on--not even a "dada"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics