Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
How important is hiring a tour guide in Israel?

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 9:04 pm
Has anybody done major touring with a family without a tour guide? How was it?

catonmylap

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 11:40 pm
We live here, we don't hire tour guides to go on family trips....if you are travelling more extensively, rent a car, use waze/maps, do your research, and you can figure out where to go...

it's not necessary to book a private tour guide...there are lots of places with scheduled tours if you want a tour, you need to check times more carefully if you want English specifically,...

there are plenty of cheap and even free old city tours in English..

I'm sure though it's a nice thing for tourists to get a personal touch -- and I know there are lots of tour guides trying to earn a living here.

heidi

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 11:56 pm
I totally disagree.
We also live here and do plenty of family trips with waze and a recommendation from a friend. But I think we are missing out.
To truly appreciate the beauty of Israel, to understand where you are and its context in history I think a tour guide is invaluable. It will help you appreciate your trip in a whole different, deeper way.
There are times we go on a water hike, let's say, and I KNOW that the place has some historical/religious significance, but we didn't find out before hand and then it's just a trip where we had fun and got wet. Not bad by any means, but we only scratched the surface. . .
Just my opinion.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 2:21 am
Deleted.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Jun 12 2019, 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

rowo

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 5:37 am
As previous posters said and good guide can really make a difference. Even if it's just one day out of your vacation.
We were in Israel 3 1/2 years ago and my son who wasn't yet 4 at the time still remembers and talks about the tour guide we went with for one day!
He took through shomron, to some amazing sites including Shiloh - which we would never have gone to otherwise. He stood us on a hilltop and read us pesukim explaining the significance of what we could see.
It makes the trip so meaningful, like walking through Tanach, not just appreciating beautiful views.

laer

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 5:05 am
A guide is an amazing asset to a beautiful trip.
We used waze and unfortunately landed up in a town which was not a friendly one!!! When using ways be very careful even chayalim have been rescued from arab towns after following waze.
A good tour guide brings everything to life and they provide the necessary security when needed.
Artzeinu is wonderful!!!

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 5:34 am
I've done tours, and yes they are amazing. But, if money is tight you can definitely do without.
If you research well, you can definitely gain a lot, and there are free or cheap tours in specific places as long as you book in advance.

STMommy

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 9:59 am
I liked my extensive trip to Israel without a guide. We went with a long list of things to do. Not being tied to a guide let us wake up in the morning and decide if we were too hot/tired to do an outdoor activity and wanted to do an indoor one instead, or when an opportunity to spend time with family came up, we easily rearranged our plans to get together with our relatives. I feel like when you hire a guide you are stuck on their schedule and you wind up on the trip they want instead of the one you want.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 10:36 am
http://bessintours.com/

mom241

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 9:10 am
Anyone use Tzvi Bessin and was happy? I’m wondering if it won’t be too boring and feel like a history class.

mommy2379

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 9:15 am
https://israelwitharky.com/
this guide is tons of fun, exciting, amazing with kids etc

drelie

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 12:08 pm
I always feel more relaxed and safe when with a guide. They know where they are going, and what to do. And of course are a wealth of knowledge and always interesting to listen to and be around.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 4:10 pm
mom241 wrote:
Anyone use Tzvi Bessin and was happy? I’m wondering if it won’t be too boring and feel like a history class.

Read the reviews - people love him!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 8:33 pm
Rabbi Ephraim Schwartz in Karmiel is an excellent guide. I've known him for ages. He's really funny, high energy, and very knowledgeable. I appreciate knowing the deep history of a place, and not just looking at stuff and going "wow, that looks old." He weaves a lot of Torah into all of his tours.

He's great with kids, and can keep all ages engaged. There's never a moment to be bored. We called him "The Energizer Rabbi. He keeps going, and going!"

mom241

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 11:30 pm
Anyone else have a good Tourguide/ driver in Israel for kids. What are the must sees not to miss in Israel I need a tour guide they could put me together a great itinerary

Cookiegirl

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 12:11 am
I highly recommend Malka Brachah Abuloff. We have hired her on several family tours with 4 generations, B"H. She is fantastic and makes it work for all ages. You can PM me for contact info...she also knows different drivers for different areas/trips/group sizes

Rappel

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 12:37 am
mom241 wrote:
Anyone else have a good Tourguide/ driver in Israel for kids. What are the must sees not to miss in Israel I need a tour guide they could put me together a great itinerary

Well, DH is in midst of getting certified Wink he's taken the written exam, and now is waiting for the oral.

When are you planning on coming?

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 1:32 am
Watch out for tour guides who do 'kombinot'(deals) with locals. I booked a tour up north for my parents and I, and they dragged us to all kinds of awful restaurants and souvenir shops because the guide was taking a cut. It was terrible. He also lied, saying that there would be kosher food in our accommodation and during the trip itself and I found myself stranded on a kibbutz with nothing to eat and had to order pizza from a city very far away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions