Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My 15 month still doesn't eat solids

smile22

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:29 am
I am at a total loss of what to do. my son refuses to eat any type of solids. he basically eats yogurts and blended soups and baby jars. If I do give him any type of solid he will try and eat it and then spit it our or gag on it or throw up.

we had an endoscopy done to see if anything was blocking his pipes all was good. I have an appointment with an ENT to see if his tonsils are too big.

I am looking for a feeding therapist, I am thinking maybe its sensory. any ideas or recommendations? I tried yeled veyalda a couple of months ago and if got declined because he is advanced in all other areas.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:33 am
Would he eat overcomes veggies? Like from a soup, but not blended.
Have them soft enough to not require chewing, but firm enough to hold. Steaming may work better.

Stars

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:34 am
Until you can get services, I think you need to focus on him getting a good nutrition.
What will happen if you gradually increase the size of the pieces in his soup? Does he eat yogurt with fruit pieces? What about a very liquidy egg salad? Baby cereal with whole milk?

smile22

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:35 am
no he wont. Even to get him to eat the blended soup is a struggle.

Stars

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:37 am
What about if you let him pick at the food with his fingers? Does some of it get in his mouth?

smile22

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:40 am
nothing at all. I tried giving him a tiny piece of a carrot from the soup, he spits it right out. the other day I gave him a spoon of ice cream which he usually eat. but this time it had a couple of sprinkles on it so he spit it out.

Stars

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:52 am
You need to go back to yeled vyalda again and fight this case. This definitely is not the norm for a toddler this age.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:58 am
I am going through the exact same thing!! same age, same story.
I also got declined for EI because he is advanced in other areas. However, I called his insurance and found out that feeding therapy would be covered, so I in the process of looking for a feedi therapist who will accept his insurance. I suggest you do the same.

smile22

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 12:02 pm
I am sitting here doing the same thing. its not so simple they gave me a bunch of names from all over. what insurance are you on?

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 3:16 pm
We had the same issue with ds ... We couldn't figure out what the problem was but as soon as he would feel pieces in his food he would refuse to eat it and would gag... We went to an ENT that really helped us... It came out that he had silent reflux and it would bother him to swallow because it made everything swallen in his throat... He gave us medication and just in case sent us to a swallow evaluation in Methodist... The medication worked wonders and after a month he started to eat everything and had no issues at all... I wish someone would tell me to go to an ENT when we had this issue... We were looking for eating therapy too and they told me that they are not helping until child is talking ... We wasted so much time not knowing what was wrong....

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 3:29 pm
smile22 wrote:
I am sitting here doing the same thing. its not so simple they gave me a bunch of names from all over. what insurance are you on?

United healthcare and medicaid

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 4:05 pm
I Am not dealing with the same exact issue, but something similar -
My 15 mos old, when he was younger had a similar issue - I would put food in and it wouldn't get passes his lips. He couldn't move it in. At first I blamed low muscle tone in the tongue, but doc said that wasn't true and wanted feeding therapy. I decided to go the mind-body route, and did 3D therapy, and hokus pokus, this part of he problem was solved. In addition, we are dealing with a childhood feeding disorder - he gets crazy stomach aches after eating any solids at all, and is being fed neocate formula only.
My older son, had sensory issues, and therefore was a picky eater, and B"H we had a SUPERB therapist (OT) from Ramat Eshkol ( I'm guessing you're in the U.S. , I live in Givat Shaul) Her Name is Bracha Binaim, and she is GREAT GREAT GREAT, and ds is eating so so nicely since then BH......

Hug

JMM-uc

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 4:34 pm
It could be a food anxiety. It feels different in his mouth and is harder to swallow.

Buy a mesh bag http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....lSrch
and put the solid food inside. Let him suck on it and get used to the feeling of solids in his mouth without needing to deal with swallowing.
It's like a mini exposure therapy, doing it gradually Smile

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 7:27 pm
Is the kid making sounds with his lips, m sound, b, p, etc? My friend's daugther didn't eat and she didn't make these sounds either at about 16-17 months old and she got speech therapy for her. Using the mouth correctly is a full experience, not only eating.

With that having been said, there are some kids who don't eat yet at that age. My neices all began blended foods at about 15-16 months old and continued on to soft mashed veggies and pieces of bread/challa a few months later, usually around 18 months old. Some kids develop at a slower pace.

chatz

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:32 pm
My son had the same issue. Try again for an ei evaluation. At 16 months, they're supposed to be on the next level, so it is easier to get approved (ie, the delay is greater).

I went through step by step and was very happy with the experience. Got approved for speech/feeding twice a week.

I am seeing strong improvements.

busybee98

Post Sat, Aug 29 2015, 9:29 pm
Dd who is 3 now had this. Turned out she had silent reflux and went to a gi for meds. But she wasn't rating anything not even baby food. However it's really hard to get feeding therapists I am actually an ot and I think it's sensory based also. It's trial and error with flavors textures and types of food. Dry crunchy things are usually easier for them. Try crackers toast rice cakes etc. Also was told by a speech therapist to then introduce mixed textures like cottage cheese or yocrunch! Most of all I found letting her play with the food helps like finger paint yogurt or break pretzels or smash veggies because as they make their hands get more used to it hopefully the mouth will follow. Also try savory flavors like sour cream and onion chips ranch crackers sometimes that helps! It's a slow long process and is VERY frustrating. Hugs! This too shall pass. Feel free to pm me.

smile22

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 9:09 pm
thanks I got him evaluated and he has major sensory so hopefully the sessions will help. I don't know if its all sensory because today he ate a piece of a tomato, he was enjoying it but 20 minutes later he threw it up so I just don't know what this is all about. He also was diagnosed last week with reflux so he is on meds

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 9:16 pm
It's the reflux... The meds should help him soon and you will see he will enjoy eating and keep it down IYH... Hugs I know it's hard!!! Been there done that!

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:48 pm
I'm bumping this thread because I have a similar issue.

Getting DS (14 months) to eat anything is a huge struggle. The only foods I can get past his lips is blended soup, mashed banana or mashed potatoes. Not always.
He does like pretzels or dry crackers but he'll take it, bite off a piece, eat a drop then throw it down after playing with it for a while.
Most days he eats nothing. Thankfully, he still loves to breastfeed so he gets something.

He hardly ever took toys into his mouth which makes me think its sensory but some people on her said it could be silent reflux which he did have when he was younger.

Is it problematic for his growth? Should I start looking into the sensory part or the reflux part?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics