Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Montreal
1  2  Next

LO

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:31 am
Hi everyone! We plan to be in Montreal over chol hamoed, and I would love some help in figuring out what area we should stay in (we would get a hotel with SPG points) to be closest to food, etc.
Also, what are the main places to go and things to see? We have 8 yr old twin girls and a 3 yr old, and would love authentic French stuff, or nature, or anything really, as long as we get to see the city.
Also, any good places to stop along the way from Lakewood?
Thanks in advance!

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:49 am
For a hotel with kosher food its the Quality Hotel Midtown http://www.qualityhotelmidtown.com/

There are a few Shuls near by and Pizza Shop right next to the hotel.

sky

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 12:03 pm
Stops along the way - I'm not sure what will be open that time of year
Ausuble Chasm
Magic Forest in Lake George
A ferry to Vermont (the fun is more the boat ride then the destination)

We've stayed in Montreal Quality Hotel Midtown mentioned above. My kids loved breakfast - it was the only time they could eat a true continental breakfast in a hotel.

Deep

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 12:28 pm
Some must-sees:
Old Montreal - Caleche ride.
- The Amphibus (a tour bus that plunges directly into the St Laurent river)
- The Old Port (a ton of attractions; ferries, science centre, quadricycle rentals...)
Olympic Village - Ride up the Olympic tower
- Insectarium, Planetarium, Biodome and Botanical gardens
Downtown Montreal - Explore the miles of underground malls and connecting tunnels.
- Amazing shopping and a new-ish wax museum (Musee Grevin)
Make sure to stop at the new Nathan Schuster park in Cote-St-Luc. It has an incredible obstacle course with a zipline and more.

Of course, don't forget to visit Mont-Royal. It is the heart of the city and gave it its name. You can go pedal boating on beaver lake, hike up the mountain and enjoy the amazing view from the lookout decks.

For authentic local foods, make sure to order poutine at any of the kosher pizza stores! Mont-Royal bagels are the real deal.

Enjoy!

LO

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 5:44 pm
Thanks, everyone! Does the hotel have electronic locks, if we would stay there for Shabbos? Are there any parks nearby?

Also, I remember hearing that there are frum children's clothing factories in Montreal? Is that true, and how do the prices compare?

Have a good Shabbos!

jkw

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 6:19 pm
Heartily second the ferry on the way up to Montreal. There are at least two --one lasting 12 minutes and one lasting an hours. The crossing on Lake Champlain is wonderful and it is really nice to have a break from driving. Here is the link:

http://www.ferries.com/

You should definitely try the kosher poutine at Pita Pizza!

LO

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 7:49 pm
Thanks, everyone! Is the kosher hotel within the eruv? Are the locks electronic? We are debating whether to stay there over shabbos chol hamoed, but not sure if there is much to entertain the kids nearby - any parks or anything else walking distance?

Thanks again for all your help! I am really not familiar with Montreal and would really like to make the most out of this trip!

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 8:18 pm
There are gorgeous parks in Montreal. I don't remember how walking distance to the hotel, but not so far.
I never stayed in the hotel over shabbos so not sure about locks.
BUT - if you are going to stay in the larger family suites those are on the top flight, with additional steps after the elevator to get there.
There isn't really any eruv I know about on that side of town. (I believe its near the lubavitch area of town. It is right near a shul\yeshiva for davening).

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 9:25 pm
There are several nice playgrounds within 5 minutes walking distance to the quality hotel. Several shuls too. Mostly lubavitch but not all.
Im sure they must have shabbos key options since many frum ppl stay there over shabbos.

LO

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 10:37 am
Thanks so much, everyone!

aqua1

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 10:48 am
Parc Safari is a great place. It is about 45 minutes from montreal but it is also on the way, if you'd like to stop on the way there or back. There is a drive-through safari where animals are right near your car. If I remember correctly there are a few rides too. When I was there, there was an elephant that you could ride on. They had a tug-of-war game with the elephant and all the children in the park. It was really a lot of fun.

LO

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 11:04 am
Wow, my kids would love a safari! Thanks for the idea!

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 11:05 am
I was just there they have Shabbos Keys.

LO

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 9:17 am
Hi everyone! Now that our trip is getting closer, I am trying to decide whether to stay at the kosher hotel the whole time, or to stay downtown during the week and go to the kosher hotel for Shabbos.

Here are the questions I have:

1. How far is Decarie from downtown?
2. How easy is it to get there? Would we take a train or drive?
3. Does the kosher hotel have a full size fridge in the room?
4. How close is the kosher hotel to a kosher grocery store and take out?

Any other advice also welcome! Thanks!!!!!

Gerbera

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 9:59 am
Decarie from downtown is a short subway ride. Even better is to go to the snowdon metro-an abundance of kosher restaurants! I wouldn't bother driving. The kosher hotel has a meat restaurant inside and is two steps away from a kosher dairy takeout with pizza, pasta bar, salad bar, sushi, dessert bat, etc. You can try some Canadian delicacies there such as Beaver Tails and poutine. I would just stay there for Shabbat. The nice thing is the complimentary kosher breakfast! The hotel isn't so nice....stay downtown and you can walk everywhere!

Gerbera

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 10:01 am
You are in the heart of the Jewish community at that hotel. No issues with kosher food and plenty of parks nearby for Shabbat!

Gerbera

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 10:04 am
And yes! Worthwhile to check out the factories especially if coming with US dollars!!

LO

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 10:13 am
Are the factories just for kids or adults also? My girls are 8 so mainly girls ot ladies clothes.... What factories would you recommend? What are the prices like?

simchat

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 10:14 am
LO wrote:
Hi everyone! Now that our trip is getting closer, I am trying to decide whether to stay at the kosher hotel the whole time, or to stay downtown during the week and go to the kosher hotel for Shabbos.

Here are the questions I have:

1. How far is Decarie from downtown?
2. How easy is it to get there? Would we take a train or drive?
3. Does the kosher hotel have a full size fridge in the room?
4. How close is the kosher hotel to a kosher grocery store and take out?

Any other advice also welcome! Thanks!!!!!

Decarie is about a 10 minute drive from downtown. We don`t usually have a prob parking if you go into one of the parking lots except when there is a huge festival or something. Otherwise, the metro is easy to use and there is a stop pretty close to the hotel.

The hotel has shabbos locks as I have stayed there over shabbos, as do plenty of frum people.

There is an IGA with big kosher selection (meat, fish, dairy, baked goods etc) 5 min walking distance from the hotel. The hotel is right next door pita pizza and has a meat restaurant, the grill, on premises. There are quite a few other restaurants on Queen Mary, a 5 min drive away.

There is an eruv, but as it is a mainly lubavitch area and lubavitch don`t hold by it, ask a rav. There are definitely people that use it though. There are parks and playgrounds within minutes walking distance and plenty of shuls, also very close by.

Things to do: in nice weather, parc safari is GREAT and right next to the border. If you want to look it up, it`s in Hemmingford, about an hour away from montreal. There is the safari, as mentioned, plus different zoo sections, a petting zoo, a forest where there are deer that come right up to you and eat from your hand, rides for big and little kids and games, water parks... We bought season passes this year and have gone at least 3 times and might go again, that`s how much there is to do there!

A lot of people go apple picking - it`s a beautiful place about 20 min car ride with apple orchards, tractor ride, little farm, play area etc.

Downtown is fun also with bike rentals, paddle boats, horse and buggy rides. They also have those bikes where the whole family fits on one.

There are also nice areas with lakes all over, a few within 10-20 min drive of montreal, where you can go biking, rent boats maybe, picnics etc. Some farms too. Quinn farm is cute, again about 15, 20 min away. Beaver lake on mount royal and the lookout is also nice.

I hope the weather stays this nice so you can really enjoy your stay! This is as much as I can think of right now, I hope I answered some of your questions without being too repetitive (I didn`t read through all the answers) Wink

LO

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 2:52 pm
Thanks so much! I would love info on the clothing factories. Also, are there any kosher grocery stores or restaurants downtown?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics