Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Baltimore- Where to start looking
1  2  Next

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 2:04 pm
We are ready to buy a house.
We are thinking of Baltimore.. can you tell me a good website that I can look at houses? is there a jewish website? how do I know which area I should be looking at

(I am really first beginning my search.. I know nothing!)

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 2:06 pm
Baltimore is a wonderful community. I dont have any resources for looking for houses, but having grown up there- I can tell you its a great choice! Hatzlocha with your move

suzyq

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 2:14 pm
No great website - your best bet would be to contact a realtor there. Debbie Finkelstein and Barry Nabozny are both fantastic. You can probably google their phone numbers (I don't want to post them here).

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 2:15 pm
Baltimore is an amazing community. I grew up here and I am bringing up my family here! BH, the community is so kind and nice. The rabbanim are so open with their homes and times. The community is also growing by leaps and bounds from people in the tri-state area because it is considerably cheaper than NY plus there is a good job market. For real estate contact either Barry Nabozny or Debbi Finkelstein. They both work for remax and know the ins and outs or real estate in the community. Hatzlacha!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 2:16 pm
I'd suggest doing a pilot trip (or two!) to get a feel of the neighborhoods if at all possible. Good luck!

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 2:25 pm
I would love to do a pilot trip!

we are currently in israel, and were about to buy an apartment. but due to recent events (I'm sure you can all guess what that is), we have decided to relocate before our kids get to gan.

thanks for the names of the realtors.

can you give me an idea of the names of the popular streets (with young families).. not sure if it works like that in baltimore.

thank you!!

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 2:29 pm
I highly recommend renting an apartment or a house before buying if you are not familiar with the community. There are many different areas within the frum community and it's good to get a feel before making such a huge decision.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 2:32 pm
I'm sure there are lots of different sections.

it's just that we moved already 3 times, it's enough already! when we move back we just want to settle...
But we may have to choice.

suzyq

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:
Can you give me an idea of the names of the popular streets (with young families).. not sure if it works like that in baltimore.

thank you!!

It doesn't really work like that in Baltimore. Most of the neighborhoods in general are quite a mix, which is what's nice about Baltimore. Definitely can't name streets to look for (more like neighborhoods) but it's going to depend mostly on your price range and the size of house you are looking for, and possibly what kind of shul you are looking for (though hashkafically most of the neighborhoods are pretty mixed also).

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 2:57 pm
What is ur price range? Some nice neighborhoods are ranchleigh, Indian village, and pickwick. Cheaper places are closer to park heights

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 1:13 pm
OP, why dont you tell us about your hashkafa, what you are looking for in a shul and Rav, if you want TI a more cheder type of school or TA which is shorter hours, and on average more modern. Kollel guys send to TI, not to TA, dont know if your husband is in kolel.
based on who you are, and how much money you have available , I can certainly offer suggestions of neighborhoods or streets that might suit you.

please tell more about yourselves.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Aug 29 2015, 2:50 pm
we are a kollel family. my husband would continue learning or pursue a chinuch carreer (we have an online business that supports us in a real way Smile

we have a few young kids.

what's ti like? you say like cheder (but coming from israel, that might have a different meaning)-- so what does "cheder" mean in baltimore terms?

definitely would not be interested in the more modern schools for my boys. hows the by for girls?

regarding shul-- we like a yeshiva davening. doesn't have to be a fancy shul with frills.

really looking for a warm, solid, torah oriented community (kollel mindset, even if not everyone is in kollel... which I don't expect at all).

is there a certain area with younger families? (parents around the age of 30, kids with the oldest age 5 or younger?)
I grew up in the heart of gashmiyus. although I was never jappy or spolied, my parents were always able to give me what was needed to fit in (they said no plenty, as I said, I wasn't spoiled). living in e"y there is such simplicity, that I really wish my children would have. I want a community that has a sense of simplicity, not based on who has the bigger house or the nicer clothes. am I making sense?

perhaps baltimore isn't the correct place for us. but it was suggested to me so I'm looking into it.

thanks for all your help!

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Aug 29 2015, 10:20 pm
Rabbi Berger is where a lot of young kollel type families daven. it is right near Pickwick, an apartment complex with a lot of young families.
Also, I disagree with the person that said TI is yeshivish and TA is not. TA is plenty yeshivish. It might have more of a mix of types of families, but has it's share of kollel families. One of the main differences is that TI is more "old school" in chinuch, meaning longer hours, stricter discipline etc, whereas TA is more loving, fun environment for the kids.
I know exactly what you are talking about about why you are leaving. Since that is important to you, you may want to look into rumors about certain TI staff member still working there.
About the gashmiyus, seems like this will be a good match, people are pretty simple here.

cfriedman2

Post Sat, Aug 29 2015, 11:32 pm
Why not move to yeshiva lane?

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 12:02 am
Not sure we wNt to be Sooo apart of a specific yeshiva... We would be on yeshiva lane, no? If not please correct me!

And really there are those issues in ti? Obviously not to the same degree but it's an issue nonthelsss

We are looking to buy a house , not a
To live in An apt complex. Don't Ask me how much we want to send, bc it really depends on what the houses go fora d then we will figure out our budget. We want a minimum of four bedrooms.

Thank u for all being so informative and helpful.

justforfun87

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 12:06 am
I really would not recommend buying in the area without coming for at least a quick visit. It is pretty big area and it would be a shame to spend all that money and be in a part of the community you don't vibe with.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 12:19 am
These are all homes in the very Jewish areas if you are interested in seeing prices and areas.
http://www.zillow.com/homedeta.....zpid/

These are just a few samples from the 21209 zip code which I would say is almost all Jewish. The other zips you can search are 21215 and 21208, but they are very mixed. I would really recommend being in touch with the frum real estate professionals such as Debbie Finkelstein, Barry Nabozny or Joe Bondar and his daughter Aliza Wein for information about each zip.

As an aside I grew up in Baltimore and as I entered the big bad world (just kidding Wink ) I started to really appreciate the wholesome, frum but real upbringing which I received in Baltimore. Bais Yaakov of Baltimore is a wonderful school with all the amenities of a big school and the warmth of a smaller school. (But its still a really big school; if you are uncomfortable with that maybe send to bnos yisrael.) The boys schools are more complicated, both have pros and cons. I would suggest going to each in person in order to decide. We will also be moving to Baltimore for the same reason as you within the next year and although it's sad to leave Israel be glad you are going to a place where there is much emphasis on the proper chinuch of children.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 12:58 am
Yeshiva Lane is on the campus of Ner Yisrael. The apartments are subsidized if I'm not mistaken, but you can't buy, and there is a waiting list. They don't just take anyone who wants to live there. Your husband has to be in kollel there.

OP, Baltimore does sound like the kind of place you are looking for, but you do need to check it out for yourself. It is a huge community with many options. Housing is cheap, but there are plenty of rentals to start out in. Unless funds are unlimited, it would be wise to first see if it is indeed a good community for you. No one can recommend a place and be absolutely sure if it is for you without you seeing it for yourself.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 1:06 am
it sounds like you could possibly buy a house in the seven mile area, houses are not too expensive, you might like Rabbi Horowitz's shul, darchei Torah. The families who belong there generally have a certain simplicity / histapkus b'muat. Not too gashmiusdik in general.

another possibility to live in: Indian village, in Balitmore county off of Smith Avenue. A nice range of Jewish people, there is a crowd there who daven at Rabbi Berger's shul, Kol Torah. A real Torahdik kehilla of Bnei Torah, would be very appropriate shul for you I think from the sound of things. Also not too gashmiusdik. a previous poster mentioned it, it is right across from Pickwick apparmtnets. I would recomend renting a large pickwick apartment when you first come and tehn looking in these two neighborhoods, indian village and seven mile near Darchei...

TI is more of a cheder in that they have longer hours, have school in July, start school on Sundays at a much younger age than in TA.
my boys have been through TA. True, there are yeshivish people in TA too, just not really kollel families I dont think. TA is an amazing school. A very happy environment. great rabbeim, good English teachers in general. Great Principals.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 3:16 am
thank you so much for posting the links to the houses... it actually got me excited.

what is the 21209 area like? and the others?

I would def come check it out for myself before buying overseas!! don't worry.

and you all sound so nice and warm.. you are really making it easier for me, being such a hard move to begin with. so thank you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating