Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Counselors distracted with cell phones

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 3:11 pm
Has anyone noticed that counselors seem to be distracted bc of cell phones?

Stars

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 3:23 pm
The whole world is.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 3:32 pm
Yes, the whole world is.

I am 7 months pregnant. I went on a train a few days ago with my 7 year old ds. There were no seats, so we stood, and ds had a lot of trouble standing up, but nobody noticed us at all because they were all busy on their phones. Finally, one man looked up and offered us his seat, so I sat down and squeezed ds onto my lap, which is none too roomy nowadays. Still nobody noticed and offered us another seat.

That's the world we live in. Every knows everything that is going on in Russia, Eretz Yisroel and Japan, but nobody has a clue what is happening right in front of their noses.

Happy18

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 3:32 pm
This is a pet peeve of mine. As a teacher we are not allowed to be on our phones all day, I imagine that's the same in many fields. Counselors are responsible for children, they should not be permitted to have their phones out when they are in charge of campers. I really don't think its unreasonable for them to put their phones away for a few hours.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 3:38 pm
I totally agree
I'm a teacher and am not allowed to have my phone on
But I know another teacher who has her phone during class bec the principal or....uses it to text her information...
So too in camp a lot of counselors use phones to text with head counselor. ..regarding campers
BUt I still agree with u they probably use it for non camper related things so it should be prohibited for teachers and counselors

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 4:03 pm
In my kids camp their counselors were not permitted to bring cell phones. Only the bus monitors were allowed to use the phones that the camp supplied them and those were monitored (old fashioned flip phones with no texting).
I was happy with that rule and hope they really kept to it.

A sleepover camp I am familiar with has a zero strike rule. If a counselor is using her phone when on duty or around campers she loses it the rest of the summer. And they do it. So the girls really do not use their phones when they shouldn't.

I think all camps should limit the cell phone usage of their counselors when they are working.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:
In my kids camp their counselors were not permitted to bring cell phones. Only the bus monitors were allowed to use the phones that the camp supplied them and those were monitored (old fashioned flip phones with no texting).
I was happy with that rule and hope they really kept to it.

A sleepover camp I am familiar with has a zero strike rule. If a counselor is using her phone when on duty or around campers she loses it the rest of the summer. And they do it. So the girls really do not use their phones when they shouldn't.

I think all camps should limit the cell phone usage of their counselors when they are working.

So your kids' camp expects that the counselors will drive to/from camp without their phones? That's ridiculous. I would not allow my children to work at a camp with that rule. I want them to have a phone in the car, and also to contact me when they are not coming straight home from work. (I don't want to shock people, but teenage counselors often hang out after camp.)

The overnight camp where DS worked did not allow counselors to have phones during the day, except trip days and days off; they were taken away at wake up time, and returned after the campers were in bed.

The day camp where DD worked did not allow counselors to use their phones except during breaks and emergencies.

Somehow, this works. People are able to control themselves, use good judgment, and do their jobs.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 5:22 pm
They should absolutely have a rule not to use cell phones while working with kids. Counselors in day camps tend to be young and therefore could probably use extra reinforcement of the rule. It should not be necessary to use it for communication with the head counselor; day camps ran perfectly fine before teenagers had cell phones. The heads circulate to address any needs as they arise. If the counselors take the kids out somewhere without a head staff along then they should have a phone with them but use it only in case of emergencies.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 5:33 pm
I read the first two posts to my dd17 and she said, what? She didn't hear me because she was busy with her phone. LOL Rolling Eyes

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 6:00 pm
And I have seen teachers do this too and it is absolutely inexcusable. At least when you're a grown woman, though, you can claim the excuse that you're expecting a family emergency at home or something (left a sick kid with a babysitter, e.g.) which still doesn't really make it OK but at least more understandable than the teens. However, there is NO NO excuse for doing it habitually, which I have seen too. So wrong on every single level.

Simple1

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 6:11 pm
I haven't noticed that - many camps have rules against cell phone use. For sure they should not be constantly on the phone instead of doing their jobs.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 7:06 pm
amother wrote:
So your kids' camp expects that the counselors will drive to/from camp without their phones? That's ridiculous. I would not allow my children to work at a camp with that rule. I want them to have a phone in the car, and also to contact me when they are not coming straight home from work. (I don't want to shock people, but teenage counselors often hang out after camp.)

A phone can be left locked in the dashboard of a car if it is necessary for the commute or I'm sure something could be arranged to leave it with the secretary upon arrival.
The boys who were counselors in my kids camp were not driving. most parents don't allow their kids to drive until they graduate high school and even if they did drive, none would have a car at their disposal to drive to camp and leave it there all day.

If people can control themselves why did they take away the phones from the counselors and give them back to them once the boys were in bed. I'd think they could have left it with the boys all day. Many grown adults can't control themselves today. I'm in meetings all the time at work and everyone is constantly checking their phones. I find it shocking.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 7:56 pm
I'm the amother who was at the park yesterday and saw this camp come and go, I keep thinking about this. I knew a few of the kids enrolled in the camp, I haven't said anything because I feel it's not my place, but were any of the parents around yesterday when this was going on? Do they know this happened??
I haven't seen this posted on facebook nor have I posted it.
did they contact you today - I hope that they are still horrified by what happened - I know I am!

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 9:19 pm
I work at a daycare and we are NOT allowed to be on our phones near the children except in emergency regarding the kids. if we must take a phone call we should step out of the room (if there are enough adults to watch the kids) for a minute or two to make a call.

This is ridiculous that counselors should be on their phones. Camps should be strict about this. You can not be on a phone and watching kids. Kids need to be watched. It's their job.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 9:27 pm
Besides watching, it's amazing that this even needs to be said but they should be interacting with the kids! You can't just leave a gaggle of preschoolers to their own devices and say "entertain thyselves" while you shmooze with each other. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be common sense anymore... I know kids need free play time but there is plenty of room for adult presence even while giving kids space and freedom.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the amother who was at the park yesterday and saw this camp come and go, I keep thinking about this. I knew a few of the kids enrolled in the camp, I haven't said anything because I feel it's not my place, but were any of the parents around yesterday when this was going on? Do they know this happened??
I haven't seen this posted on facebook nor have I posted it.
did they contact you today - I hope that they are still horrified by what happened - I know I am!

I think you posted in the wrong thread. I'm the OP of the kid left in park thread. I don't want to hijack this one (other than to wonder if cell phones might have possibly played a role in the incident) but I did post some more details today. You can copy this into the other thread, and I can answer you there.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 9:43 pm
My dd was a counselor in a day camp this summer and they were very strict that the counselors could only use their phones during their breaks.

If a camp is not strict about the counselors being on cell phones, I would wonder what else they're not being careful about. That should be an absolute no, it shouldn't even be a question.

lucky14

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 1:00 am
seeker wrote:
Besides watching, it's amazing that this even needs to be said but they should be interacting with the kids! You can't just leave a gaggle of preschoolers to their own devices and say "entertain thyselves" while you shmooze with each other. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be common sense anymore... I know kids need free play time but there is plenty of room for adult presence even while giving kids space and freedom.

so true.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 6:33 am
My MIL worked at the gan izzy and said so
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers