Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
DD aggressive towards other kids

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 6:15 pm
I took my 3yo DD to the park today.

Another girl of a similar age came over and asked to play with her and my DD acted really aggressive, punching the air in her direction. I said "This little girl wants to play with you! Why don't you play together?" and she said "NO, I DON'T want to play with her!"

Later, my DD and 2 other children were playing on the slide. Again, my DD was aggressive, pushing other children out of the way so she could go before them.

At home, I asked her why she didn't want to play with the other girl and she said "because I wanted to SHOUT at her!" I asked her if children at school shout at her and she replied "no, but I shout at them!"

She also said she doesn't like other children and only wants to play by herself. She attended preschool Apr-Jun and indeed, always played alone and didn't interact with the other kids.

Is this something I should be worried about? She is looking forward to going back to pre-school in September but I'm very worried that she'll have a hard time fitting in if she goes on like this. Is there anything I can do to help her?

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 7:51 pm
Yes, I would be concerned and have her evaluated to figure out what to be most concerned about.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:50 pm
I would get an evaluation too. some of your examples remind me of my almost 4yo son. tho hes not like that all the time, but the need to be first, not wanting to play with kids (at times) and pushing are all things we deal with. He gets OT for sensory seeking as well as behavioral therapy for anxiety. I didnt think at first, but hes not scared about things, but then I got a bit more educated and he does get anxious when he needs to be first for example and will then push people so that he gets there and if he doesnt he will have a complete meltdown. he has a hard time with transitions. and we cannot force him to play with someone when he doesnt want to. he also can be very loud.

we started with an OT eval and the OT approved him and recommended additional therapy with a social worker. pushing and excessive shouting are both things that can be sensory related.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 12:00 am
I would get a comprehensive eval right off the bat. True they could be OT issues but they could also be any number of other things and you will waste a lot of time if you ask for something too specific when you really have no way of knowing.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 12:19 am
seeker wrote:
I would get a comprehensive eval right off the bat. True they could be OT issues but they could also be any number of other things and you will waste a lot of time if you ask for something too specific when you really have no way of knowing.

how do you get a comprehensive eval?? someone referred me to OT and then the OT said this is more then my expertise and moved us on. I would def be interested in a comprehensive eval.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 12:22 am
Either talk to your pediatrician, or if you live somewhere where the school system handles these things then go to your local school district's special ed office. Be prepared with a letter from last year's teacher saying that this child is not interacting with peers as expected and she should be evaluated. I'd actually do both if possible - get a recommendation from your pediatrician and also go through the school district. But that could also seem overwhelming to do both at once maybe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers