Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is this job worth it

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 9:35 am
Here is the story, I need advice. My husband, BH, makes abut 300-350k a year. Since we live in NYC and send to an MO school, we spent a nice chunk of that on housing and tuition. I stay home and help my husband with his side business. I am the one getting the kids ready in the morning, picking them up from school, doing hw with them,etc. We don't have a babysitter. while they are in school, I help my husband with his business,shop for food,do laundry, clean,etc. My life is very full, and I tire easily for medical reasons.
I do have a professional degree and an opportunity recently came up to take a job close to home. It would be 15 hours a week, during the hours that the kids are in school. The pay would be $600 a week for that time,but the work environment is not the greatest.
My husband is adamantly against it, saying that we don't need the money and my life will be too busy and hard,and I will be exhausted. I think I can do it, and there is no such thing as extra money. We can put it away.
Any ideas, feedback or advice? TIA

justmarried:)

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 9:48 am
If your husband is adamantly against it I wouldn't suggest you take this job especially since it isn't a good work environment and you seem to be well of financially . From what you explained I think you working would tire you out and you would need to get more help in the house and to me it just doesn't seem like it makes sense for you. Good luck with you decision.

shoshanim999

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 9:55 am
you give several reasons for not taking the job:

1. your life is full.
2. You tire easily.
3. You don't really need the money as your husbands income is over 300K.
4. Your husband is adamantly against it.

Is there any real upside to taking the job???

ROFL

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 9:58 am
How many kids do you have ? I would stay home in a heartbeat if my dh made 300 k , You are helping hi with a side business that should be your income

youngishbear

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 9:59 am
Your husband is unsupportive. Think of how that will affect your ability to cope.

Especially because the work environment is not supportive either.

Can you handle that?

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 10:00 am
I would not take the job. It is an unpleasant work environment. It is not that much money. You don't need the money. Some people are forced to break their backs, you are not one of them. Be thankful for that and enjoy being a stay at home mom.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 10:03 am
OP here.I come from a super poor background, so I always feel that there is no such thing as extra money.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 10:42 am
Is it possible you tire easily because you arent content? (I can very well see that, btdt). Maybe this job or some other similar job will give you a feeling of contentedness and give you MORE energy and MORE confidence and MORE satisfaction. Maybe you feel like a woman who babysits/shops and little else, which is a real energy zapper.

animeme

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 12:02 pm
It seems that you did not consider working until this opportunity came up. Is it possible to do some research to see if there are other opportunities that might be even more part time with even less hours, and/or in a better environment? It sounds like you want your own identity in work; could you turn a hobby into a small side business of your own where you control the hours?

In terms of money, if you bring in more but need to spend more on yourself for medical issues, you don't gain.

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 6:36 pm
if you took the job and spent a chunk of it on extra cleaning help you may come out ahead.

Also, there may be a benefit to keeping up your profession. Your kids will grow up at some point and you may want to return to work but find it more difficult then.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 7:23 pm
If you're going to find it stimulating to get out, as well as an opportunity to develop professionally, I agree it's worth saving some, and using some for more help in the house.

However, as someone who also tires easily, I relish being able to work from home and make my own hours, and as an introvert I don't think I miss getting out and talking to more people. (Then again, I have my married kids to talk to. As a friend recently said, who has time for friends, we're lucky if we have time to talk to each kids a couple of times a week.)

So it might depend on your introversion/extroversion index.

But I also agree w/ poster above that IF you're doing something you enjoy you may feel much more energetic.

BUT - a bad work environment? Not so good. I would look around a bit more if you're interested in getting out. Stress is stress. Avoid it if you can. And it sounds like you can.

justcallmeima

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 7:34 pm
OP- What do YOU want to do?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 8:00 pm
As others have said it seems u want this as a chance to " get out" and do something other than working for ur dh business and housework....but of course if u tire from all u do now u would be even more tired if u work part time on top of ur other responsibilities to ur family
However even if u enjoy your line of work at this job -the fact that u said the work environment is not the greatest"" is a big minus--but it seems since u are doing everything with kids housework...with no help --u seem to need something different and it is "only"
15 hrs a week --so u must weigh pros and cons but u may have to hire someone to help in evenings to help u if you are even more exhausted --
Good luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics