Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you let your kids wear hand-me-downs?
1  2  3  Next

Yes - only from relatives  
 8%  [ 16 ]
Yes - only from people I know  
 17%  [ 32 ]
Yes  
 69%  [ 126 ]
No  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Other - I will post below  
 1%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 181

amother
White

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 3:24 pm

spring13

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 3:28 pm
Yes. Why would I not "let"?

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 3:28 pm
I picked other. I don't not let them. They just don't have any.

abound

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 3:30 pm
For Sure!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 3:31 pm
Let?? I RELY on them!

Beyla

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 3:31 pm
Yes I do if I like it and it doesn't look so much used.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 3:32 pm
Of course!
As long as they are in good condition and meet my standard of cuteness.
I have received clothing From stores or designers that I would never go near because of their prices.
I would also shop in used clothing stores to find new condition clothing, sometimes with tags for next to nothing. Think a dollar or two.
I would never use used underclothes or socks.
We reuse shoes too.

That's talking kids stuff, I'd wear used myself too.
Obviously washing it first.

Jewishmom8

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 3:34 pm
Yes
if they like them and they don't look too worn out.
and of course I give away what we don't need.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 3:37 pm
Sure! My youngest sibling is less than 3 years older than my oldest child, so we have tons of hand me downs, and not just clothes, but also toys. It's great. I barely buy my kids anything except for shoes, a few pieces here and there that they need extra of or that we don't have from the hand me downs. I only buy new toys for special occasions like birthdays. There really isn't much we don't already have toy-wise, because my parents bought good, well-made, all the classics.

justforfun87

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 4:11 pm
Seriously?! No way I am buying new when it will be permanently stained within three days and outgrown within two months.

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 4:56 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Of course!
As long as they are in good condition and meet my standard of cuteness.
I have received clothing From stores or designers that I would never go near because of their prices.
I would also shop in used clothing stores to find new condition clothing, sometimes with tags for next to nothing. Think a dollar or two.
I would never use used underclothes or socks.
We reuse shoes too.

That's talking kids stuff, I'd wear used myself too.
Obviously washing it first.

I have no problem with hand me downs. Obviously not ruined or ripped. Shoes are a bigger problem- in kids, where their feet are still growing, wearing shoes that have been shaped to another's foot can cause big issues. Talk to your pediatrician...

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 5:04 pm
I am the other person (so far) who voted other. Personally I have no problem with hand me downs and I think hand me downs are great, especially in drum families where money may be tight, if they are in good condition. However my husband is vehemently against hand me downs. So I will only take things that are either brands that I would buy or from companies I recognize. Also, I will only bring them in when he is not home. Then I mix them into the children's drawers and he doesn't even realize. I hate the way I do it, but I always get an earful from him about how much money I spend (usually under $200 for three kids, so really nothing major) and I'd rather do this than get into a fight about the money.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 5:11 pm
I have respectable friends who get children's clothes from flea markets. You have to be the first one there when it opens, and move fast, they say, to get the good ones. Then into the laundry, and no problem. Toys too. Rinsed in diluted Clorox, no problem.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 5:18 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
I have respectable friends who get children's clothes from flea markets. You have to be the first one there when it opens, and move fast, they say, to get the good ones. Then into the laundry, and no problem. Toys too. Rinsed in diluted Clorox, no problem.

I get toys at the thrift store, but I won't buy clothing there. (Except for the two times I had an emergency- once one of my kids had an accident in the car and I had no change of clothing, and once a kid threw up all over himself and the car seat in the parking lot....when we were on our way IN) I will only take hand me downs from people I know.

sped

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 5:39 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
I have no problem with hand me downs. Obviously not ruined or ripped. Shoes are a bigger problem- in kids, where their feet are still growing, wearing shoes that have been shaped to another's foot can cause big issues. Talk to your pediatrician...

Actually, many (most?) pediatricians say that as long as the shoe is not very worn down, it is fine to pass it n. I think the above is a myth from the shoe industry.

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 6:07 pm
sure. I do love the pleasure of buying new clothes but I will take hand me downs in good condition.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 6:23 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
I get toys at the thrift store, but I won't buy clothing there. (Except for the two times I had an emergency- once one of my kids had an accident in the car and I had no change of clothing, and once a kid threw up all over himself and the car seat in the parking lot....when we were on our way IN) I will only take hand me downs from people I know.

OK, to each her own, but I am not sure why. A hot wash with good detergent or ammonia solves all. The people you know can have nits, too. Unless I misunderstand you.

justcallmeima

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 6:29 pm
amother wrote:
I am the other person (so far) who voted other. Personally I have no problem with hand me downs and I think hand me downs are great, especially in drum families where money may be tight, if they are in good condition. However my husband is vehemently against hand me downs. So I will only take things that are either brands that I would buy or from companies I recognize. Also, I will only bring them in when he is not home. Then I mix them into the children's drawers and he doesn't even realize. I hate the way I do it, but I always get an earful from him about how much money I spend (usually under $200 for three kids, so really nothing major) and I'd rather do this than get into a fight about the money.

What does this even mean? Why would anybody be "against hand-me downs"? and vehemently at that??!! And he doesn't like that you spend too much money on clothes? Wouldn't buying or getting second hand clothes make you spend LESS money?? I am totally confused.

Frumdoc

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 6:44 pm
I love recycled clothing.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 6:47 pm
justcallmeima wrote:
What does this even mean? Why would anybody be "against hand-me downs"? and vehemently at that??!! And he doesn't like that you spend too much money on clothes? Wouldn't buying or getting second hand clothes make you spend LESS money?? I am totally confused.

My dh wouldn't like for me to get hand me downs either. I think it's the concept of "can't I support my family myself? I don't need to ask others."

On the other hand, he doesn't give me grief for spending either LOL, just sometimes remarks because he just doesn't realize how much things cost.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics