Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o venettini -food stamps
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 3:57 pm
Yes, I know this will open a can of worms. I am getting more and more angry each year when I see people who I know are on food stamps, fidelis etc... dressing their kids in expensive European clothing and venttinis. That is my tax money. I know I sound horrible. I'm generalky a nice person. But mybhusband and I work put tails off and squeak by each month. if someone chooses not to work, or works off the books, and then takes money from those who do work and pay taxes is it fair to be spending it on designer clothing!? Just don't take the money from the government -which is us. Yes, I know some people have family paying for them. I'm not talking about that.

mirror

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 4:08 pm
This month's Zman magazine has an article by Rabbi Pesach Krohn.

See August 2015 p. 28

He quotes Mishna [Peah 8:9]
Quote:
"Whoever does not need charity but takes it will not leave this world without needing it."

Quote:
The Mishna continues "Anyone who is not crippled or blind, but pretends to be, will not die until he becomes like that."

Rabbi Krohn discusses taking handicapped parking spaces, but these words speak volumes.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 4:09 pm
I grew up in a large family and we were poor so we got food stamps. But we also dressed really nicely because my mother is a shopaholic and knew where to get clothing/shoes for really cheap-usually at sample sales or end of season sales. We also got beautiful expensive hand me downs from a rich cousin. So it's not really a contradiction to dress nicely and still be poor/receive food stamps.

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 4:11 pm
I have the perfect cure for your problem. Keep your own nose in your own checkout lane at the grocery store, there's no reason for you to look at how anybody else is paying for their stuff. If people are discussing their food stamp benefits with you, just think to yourself that there must be something going on that you don't know. If people are dressing her children clothing that you deem to be too expensive considering that they're getting government benefits, maybe just be dlkz a little bit more.

Secondly, imamother has enough of these judgments of threads talking about people who are in food stamps buy very expensive clothes or have very expensive lifestyles. Its not worth you getting upset over. Myob and you will be a happier person.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 4:15 pm
amother wrote:
I grew up in a large family and we were poor so we got food stamps. But we also dressed really nicely because my mother is a shopaholic and knew where to get clothing/shoes for really cheap-usually at sample sales or end of season sales. We also got beautiful expensive hand me downs from a rich cousin. So it's not really a contradiction to dress nicely and still be poor/receive food stamps.

I also grew up in a family that used food stamps/section 8 etc. you know what? we didn't have money for clothing. never mind being able to buy at sample sales or closeouts or whatnot. my mother worked insanely hard to make ends meet. if we did buy anything new it was at a thrift store.

the hand me downs I understand as my own kids will sometimes get beautiful clothing from a friend.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 4:16 pm
We have to go through this AGAIN? Rolling Eyes

Rebesq

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 4:16 pm
Water girl - I've been doing that for 10 years. I'm trying to continue to do so but it has gotten to the point where entire communities, often with the encouragement of their rebbe (!!), openly discuss how "amazing" it is that they are able to Use these "programs" to their advantage. IS it any wonder why the non-Jews hate us. It's disgusting.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 4:19 pm
I feel zero guilt in buying some Elsa Peretti, Tiffany earrings at the Goodwill last week. The $20 I spent on them exceeds my SNAP benefit for the month. My Coach bags, like all of my expensive purses were purchased in better days used.

Stop counting other peoples money, you'll give yourself an ulcer for no good reason.

Rebesq

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 4:21 pm
It's not their money per se . It's the attitude that kills me: הכל מגיע לי.

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 4:24 pm
Rebesq wrote:
It's not their money per se . It's the attitude that kills me: הכל מגיע לי.

I see your new on here. Welcome. Want to live? Dont let the attitude kill you. You never know.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 4:44 pm
amother wrote:
I also grew up in a family that used food stamps/section 8 etc. you know what? we didn't have money for clothing. never mind being able to buy at sample sales or closeouts or whatnot. my mother worked insanely hard to make ends meet. if we did buy anything new it was at a thrift store.

the hand me downs I understand as my own kids will sometimes get beautiful clothing from a friend.

Sales can be really cheap as well and lots of times cheaper than thrifts shops. Last week I bought a $50 pair of shoes for $12 dollars. I've bought $40-60 dollar shirts for $6 dollars each. I've bought $40 dollars bras for 15-22 dollars each. All brand new. All brand names. No thrift shops just regular stores. My mother used to brag about the expensive clothing she got for dirt cheap. She never worked so that was her way of contributing to the household. No need to knock it.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 7:54 pm
Oh well, I guess someone forgot to tell those pesky plebeians that poverty is a punishment and they're not allowed to have anything nice. They should all be wearing the poorest quality shoes and while they're at it, wear em until they pinch. Hard. That'll show them... something, I'm sure. At least it'll help me go on feeling privileged that I'm getting my money's worth out of my money.

Actually, I'm not so convinced Venetinni's have any qualitative advantage over other shoes but I can certainly understand why someone of low income would choose to put their limited resources toward better shoes while requesting public assistance for food. $60 worth of good shoes can keep your feet healthy, comfortable, and looking good for about half a year. $60 worth of food can keep you satiated for about a week. So it definitely makes sense that someone can need food stamps while still being able to wear expensive shoes.

Oops, there I go thinking practically again. If I had enough money to justify my existence I could probably afford to sit around theorizing about how other people should spend theirs instead of actually figuring out realistic budget solutions.

Rebesq

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 8:03 pm
You are totally misinterpreting my post. I don't begrudge or deny anything to those with less money. I am speaking about those that actually have money (either from family or employment not on the books) or often don't work, and still take benefits from the government. This has become a large segment of of our societyPlebeian is a term used for the working class in the caste system that could never get ahead no matter how hard they worked. I am not referring to a working class. That is the problem.

smile22

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 8:55 pm
maybe their parents help out with clothing shopping and gets them expensive stuff. My mom enjoys buying my kids expensive clothes and I wouldnt want to be judged that since I am in kollel and on medicaid my kids cant look nice.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 9:05 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I feel zero guilt in buying some Elsa Peretti, Tiffany earrings at the Goodwill last week. The $20 I spent on them exceeds my SNAP benefit for the month. My Coach bags, like all of my expensive purses were purchased in better days used.

Stop counting other peoples money, you'll give yourself an ulcer for no good reason.

Nice score!

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 9:55 pm
Rebesq wrote:
You are totally misinterpreting my post. I don't begrudge or deny anything to those with less money. I am speaking about those that actually have money (either from family or employment not on the books) or often don't work, and still take benefits from the government. This has become a large segment of of our societyPlebeian is a term used for the working class in the caste system that could never get ahead no matter how hard they worked. I am not referring to a working class. That is the problem.

You and I both know there is a whole class of frum people shopping at the frum stores buying $80.00 pants for infants while illegally collecting food stamps. We both know their husbands work off the books and/or they get money from family. This is the norm rather than the exception in certain communities. The stores are packed.

rachelbg

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 10:05 pm
Oh my gosh, please stop judging people.

I happen to receive government benefits, and I work like a dog, and my kids (and I) don't buy/own fancy, brand name things, but I happen to be a phenomenal shopper. My kids always look adorable and very well put together. I shop in department stores with coupons on top of sales, and my frugal nature allows me to get the most bang for my buck. (This is besides hand-me-downs and such.) I don't know what other people are buying or how they are acquiring it, but let's be dan l'kav zechus about the people around us. We never know the whole story about anyone, so why make a big deal??

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 10:07 pm
amother wrote:
Sales can be really cheap as well and lots of times cheaper than thrifts shops. Last week I bought a $50 pair of shoes for $12 dollars. I've bought $40-60 dollar shirts for $6 dollars each. I've bought $40 dollars bras for 15-22 dollars each. All brand new. All brand names. No thrift shops just regular stores. My mother used to brag about the expensive clothing she got for dirt cheap. She never worked so that was her way of contributing to the household. No need to knock it.

exactly my point. your mother didn't work. why not? why were you on food stamps if she wasn't contributing? instead of running around to sales, and being a shopaholic, maybe working and contributing would've been more economical?

what's the point of food stamps or any govt program for that matter. it should be for people that need it.

and that goes back to all the other debates on this site about govt assistance.

and btw when you don't have money, $2 or $5 items are cheaper than $15-$22.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 10:10 pm
rachelbg wrote:
Oh my gosh, please stop judging people.

I happen to receive government benefits, and I work like a dog, and my kids (and I) don't buy/own fancy, brand name things, but I happen to be a phenomenal shopper. My kids always look adorable and very well put together. I shop in department stores with coupons on top of sales, and my frugal nature allows me to get the most bang for my buck. (This is besides hand-me-downs and such.) I don't know what other people are buying or how they are acquiring it, but let's be dan l'kav zechus about the people around us. We never know the whole story about anyone, so why make a big deal??

you're right about being dlkz.
the point being made was people who do buy these items while receiving food stamps.
you're doing your part. you're working. you're trying. you're not just mooching off of society.

this whole topic irks me. I think I'm going to stop following this thread.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 10:13 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, I know this will open a can of worms. I am getting more and more angry each year when I see people who I know are on food stamps, fidelis etc... dressing their kids in expensive European clothing and venttinis. That is my tax money. I know I sound horrible. I'm generalky a nice person. But mybhusband and I work put tails off and squeak by each month. if someone chooses not to work, or works off the books, and then takes money from those who do work and pay taxes is it fair to be spending it on designer clothing!? Just don't take the money from the government -which is us. Yes, I know some people have family paying for them. I'm not talking about that.

In my community there is an organization that gives a new dress and pair of European brand shoes for yom tov for hardworking parents who are struggling. So things aren't always what they seem.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics