Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Lost suitcase in Israel. Seminary girl desperate...
1  2  Next

dddpssu

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 8:03 am
Hi Israeli Ladies,
I need some help and insight from you please. My friend's daughter just landed in EY to spend her year in seminary. She took a Nesher from the airport to Ramat Eshkol with a lot of other people going to other places in yerushalayim. When they got there the driver was pretty brusque and didn't help them with their luggage, and rushed them, and she didn't realize till much later that she had left her carry on suitcase in the Nesher. It has so many important things that she needs, and also, it is a very stressful way for a girl who has never been in EY to start her year, away from home. They called the Nesher service who said that it hadn't been turned in. Any ideas from any of you? Is there perhaps a central Lost and found, as far fetched as that sounds? Any input at all is appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.

etky

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 8:53 am
Oy.
She should keep calling and nudge them even if she feels she is being a nuisance.
Maybe they can look up the name of the driver who picked them up. Does she remember the time that they left the a/p?
There must be a log that they keep at the central office of the trips that each driver makes.

heidi

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 8:58 am
I just want to add to what etky wrote that she should have an Israeli do this.
Good command of the language and won't take no for an answer

etky

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 9:17 am
heidi wrote:
I just want to add to what etky wrote that she should have an Israeli do this.
Good command of the language and won't take no for an answer

I was thinking that too.
OTOH, I know this sounds terrible but it might be good too for her to also call herself and perhaps cry on the phone to solicit personal empathy.
Basically you have to make them want to help and do whatever it takes to achieve that. It's all too easy for them to just blow her off b/c it's a pain for them to check.
A double-pronged approach might be good.

Barbara

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 9:18 am
--

Last edited by Barbara on Wed, Sep 09 2015, 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

grace413

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 9:34 am
And the Israeli who calls Nesher for her should remind them that should the suitcase not be found immediately it will be reported to the police. That might get them moving.

dddpssu

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 10:37 pm
Hi thank you so much for all the responses. We followed all the advice, to no avail. An Israeli relative called the Nesher and he sent a message to all his drivers and no one responded that they had it. He was not hopeful that it would show up. Is there any sort of national lost and found, as crazy as that sounds? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance for your responses.

happy mommy6

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 11:23 pm
maybe a girl from a different seminary that was on the nesher with her took it....

cityofgold

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:54 am
What happymommy said--a friend of mine once was involved in a triple-mix-up, where three people took the wrong suitcases. It took a while to sort it out.

They should definitely keep calling.

dddpssu

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 1:04 am
Oh my goodness- we are an unbelievable people.
This girl basically gave up hope. After speaking repeatedly to Nesher and multiple attempts to get through to the actual driver, there was literally nowhere else to turn.
And suddenly, at 3:00 am, a girl in her seminary asked her if by any chance there was a girl by the last name _________ (which is the same name as this girl) in her room. She said, "yes- that's me." The girl then asked her "did you by any chance lose a suitcase?"
Long story short, a girl in a different seminary got into a cab and noticed an unaccompanied suitcase with airline tags from America and only labeled with the girl's last name. She decided to take it with her and find the owner. She then proceeded to call different seminaries to find a girl with that last name, reuniting the girl with her lost bag. A 18 year old girl, new to the country, in her first week of seminary, was selfless and committed enough to spend her own time and efforts to accomplish what we thought would never happen.
No words..
Mi K'amcha Yisroel.

Delores

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 3:42 am
Or... If the girl would have reported the missing bag to Nesher right away instead of playing detective it would have been found earlier and saved a lot of strife. I am not at all sure the "do gooder" in this story acted appropriately.

vicki

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 4:34 am
Delores wrote:
Or... If the girl would have reported the missing bag to Nesher right away instead of playing detective it would have been found earlier and saved a lot of strife. I am not at all sure the "do gooder" in this story acted appropriately.

I was thinking this too.
The girl's intentions were great, but unless she had reason to think she knew more than Nesher, she should have reported it and left it with the driver.

etky

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 5:06 am
vicki wrote:
I was thinking this too.
The girl's intentions were great, but unless she had reason to think she knew more than Nesher, she should have reported it and left it with the driver.

Perhaps, or maybe she had doubts about what the driver, or Nesher, would have done with it....
She obviously wanted to see the thing through and ensure that it actually got to the right person.
In any event I'm thrilled that there is a happy ending.
I was feeling so awful for this girl to have started off the year with this very unsettling experience.

kb

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 5:08 am
You're not being so fair. A) why should she trust a driver who didn't do anything about a missing suitcase in his trunk? And B) how would she know how to contact them? I wouldn't have when I was in seminary.

grace413

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 5:24 am
Glad the young woman and her suitcase were re-united. Now I feel bad about bashing Nesher.

Delores

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 5:28 am
What if it didn't belong to a seminary girl??? What would she have done then? Nesher is very easy to find. You can google their number or ask anyone in the city how to contact them. The driver couldn't have known that it was a missing suitcase until all the passengers had left. I'm sorry for my pessimism and I understand you all want a feel good story but this would have ended better and sooner if the bag would have been reported to the company.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 5:34 am
She needs to learn hilchos hashavas aveida. This was a private or semi public place. It was safe there and the owner had a way of getting it back by going back. Removing an item from a private place borders on gezel, from a semi-public place, it depends on the place and often should not be moved.
I hope she learns about this in her seminary. That's where I learned it!

LisaS

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 5:43 am
This happened to me the day we made aliya. I had everything important (other than my money bag with passports) in that bag. Taxi driver denied that anything was found. If it happened now, boy would I have made a fuss, but first day in Israel I still didn't know how to talk Israeli.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 5:45 am
E/o who is writing she shouldn't have taken it , must be Americans..
Finding things left in a nesher can take weeks, and be very frustrating.
I don't think the girl was wrong.

dddpssu

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 7:17 am
Woah-
I didn't mean to turn this into a "irresponsible seminary girl" bash. I don't know all the details...maybe there was something that showed this girl that the suitcase belonged to a seminary girl. Maybe, upon meeting the surly driver, she didn't have faith that he would return it, maybe she just acted impulsively and didn't think it through but that is SO not the point here. I just wanted to highlight Hashem's goodness in giving this girl the peace of mind in her first week of being away from home and across the world. Hashem really took care of her and she feels it. Second of all, this girl meant well and went incredibly out of her way to do the right thing. Don't think we need to analyze it. We can simple appreciate that a young person thought more about someone else than herself, and we can celebrate that. Not so common these days.
Have a great day!
And by the way, if someone has never taken a cab before at all, and has never even been in Israel before that day, it is possible that is simply wouldn't even occur to them that trusting the driver was an option.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics