Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Washing Sheitel for Yom Tov

RW

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 9:16 am
So many women are getting their sheitels washed for yom tov. I get it. However, I am of the thought that washing your sheitel too often ruins it, so I was thinking of possibly waiting to get mine washed and not get it washed before yom tov. Does anyone find that weird? Or are there other people out there like me, who will not be getting their sheitel washed before yom tov? Is it considered the norm to get it washed before every major yom tov?

sky

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 9:17 am
If it looks good I don't think it has to be washed before yom tov.
In fact, I find the sheitel machurs are so busy before yom tov that you don't get the best job done.

Butterfly07

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:27 pm
Haha, thanks for reminding me to do mine Smile
I try to wash mine by Yontif time because especially if I am not buying anything new for the holiday (clothing/jewelry) I at least know that my Sheital looks fresh!

smss

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:44 pm
Washing your sheitel too often ruins it?
The sheitel macher I bought my sheitel from (and she had no vested interest in saying this to me, since I live in a different place and would not be bringing it to her anyway) said that if you DON'T wash a sheitel regularly, that ruins it.

RW

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 3:28 pm
smss wrote:
Washing your sheitel too often ruins it?
The sheitel macher I bought my sheitel from (and she had no vested interest in saying this to me, since I live in a different place and would not be bringing it to her anyway) said that if you DON'T wash a sheitel regularly, that ruins it.

Really? My sheitel macher told me no more than twice a year. I guess that could be because I only wear it shabbos/yom tov and special occasions.

trixx

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 4:49 pm
Mine said wash every 4-6 weeks (worn daily) I wash and set it on my own though

nicole81

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 5:57 pm
my wigs don't need to be "set" since they're naturally curly/wavy, and they pretty much look the same whether they're clean or extremely dirty. so I don't specifically wash (and set) mine for yom tov. mine are both pretty grimy, so I might get one washed, but I may not out of laziness/lack of time to drop off and pick up.

myself

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 6:59 pm
trixx wrote:
Mine said wash every 4-6 weeks (worn daily)

This.

For some reason I understood it keeps better this way, but to be honest, if your sheitel looks good, why bother.

BklynMom2

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:59 pm
I have a new sheitle and since it is summer time, I feel the need to wash it at least once a week. I sweat so much and I am worried it will smell.
I am very gentle with it. I had a perm put in it, so after I wash it I just scrunch it with my fingers.
Should I not be washing it so often?

trixx

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 11:03 pm
MNMom wrote:
I have a new sheitle and since it is summer time, I feel the need to wash it at least once a week. I sweat so much and I am worried it will smell.
I am very gentle with it. I had a perm put in it, so after I wash it I just scrunch it with my fingers.
Should I not be washing it so often?

I would be scared to wash this often. I do believe that it strips the hair of natural oils (even the most authentic human hair blah blah) like just keep it as untouched as possible.
spray with water? like spritz.
also, if you spray perfume on your neck while wearing it, the hair will smell good. (not directly into the hair, alcohol not good for it but it will pick up the scent)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels