Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
ISO healthy baby yogurt

sv123

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 7:17 am
Does anyone recommend a healthy chalav yisroel yogurt for a baby, that's full fat and doesn't contain tons of sugar?
I was told to introduce yogurt to my 9 month old but all the yogurts I've seen in the stores don't seem healthy to me at all. What do you give your babies?

SorGold

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 7:33 am
A baby who has never sugar will eat plain yogurt. There are no full fat cholov yisrael plain where I live so I make my own.

Stars

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 7:41 am
I give my baby norman's greek yogurt (plain) with added pureed fruit.

sv123

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 7:48 am
Oh that's smart, I never thought of doing that. Maybe I can mash a banana and add to plain yogurt! Thanks for the idea!
Does anyone have any other ideas?

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 8:59 am
My baby adores plain yogurt. I would never add anything so he doesn't get used to the sweet flavor.

What's wrong with plain yogurt?

In the event that you do need to sweeten it, try to use just fruit puree. Juice, honey etc. are all sweeteners. All the flavored yogurts in the store are full of sugars.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 9:02 am
Riff wrote:
My baby adores plain yogurt. I would never add anything so he doesn't get used to the sweet flavor.

What's wrong with plain yogurt?

In the event that you do need to sweeten it, try to use just fruit puree. Juice, honey etc. are all sweeteners. All the flavored yogurts in the store are full of sugars.

No honey under a year though

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 9:02 am
I give the mehadrin greek yogurt plain. The first time he made a sour face so I mix a bit of baby food in it. I figure more nutrition cant hurt.

SorGold

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 9:06 am
The problem is that babies (all people for that matterbut thats another discussion) should only have full fat dairy. The cholov yisrael normans and mehadrin, despite not having any additives or gums, are not full fat.
One thing cholov stam baby yogurts are is full fat.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 9:11 am
Fat content notwithstanding, there is still calcium, protein and beneficial bacteria. So I have to make sure to give other foods high in fat as well.

Stars

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 9:15 am
mha3484 wrote:
I give the mehadrin greek yogurt plain. The first time he made a sour face so I mix a bit of baby food in it. I figure more nutrition cant hurt.

Did you taste it yourself? I don't think it's made for human consumption as is. Fruit puree is perfect. About 2 oz of fruit to 5 oz of yogurt.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 10:09 am
There are no full fat cholov yisroel yogurts

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 10:13 am
http://strausfamilycreamery.co.....ogurt

sv123

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 10:27 am
I know the yobaby chalav stam yogurt is excellent for babies, I just wish they made a chalav yisroel version.

sky

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 10:51 am
amother wrote:
http://strausfamilycreamery.com/products/item/organic-greek-plain-yogurt

According to their web site it isn't sold within 100 miles of were I live. Were is it sold?

Stars

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 10:51 am
I think in Israel only

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 11:00 am
It is sold on the west coast but I only saw a KSA Hechsher. I didnt see anywhere where it said it is cholov yisrael. Did I miss something?
I could maple creamery full fat organic grass fed yogurt on East coast if I wanted I cholov stam...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics